Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime Mary tried to bad mouth Serena for doing it her way, Chris put that ass in check.:worship::worship:

Thank you Chris, it seems like only he and John Mac, are willing to do this.:wavey:

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mary did however deliver the commetators line of the tournament.

Safina challenged a ball she thought Serena hit wide, and Mary said. " She's got bigger challenges than that!. :lol:

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Everytime Mary tried to bad mouth Serena for doing it her way, Chris put that ass in check.:worship::worship:

Thank you Chris, it seems like only he and John Mac, are willing to do this.:wavey:
John Mac is the biggest hater of em all, I will never forget the fact that he condoned Justines cheating at the French Open and basically said that you have to do whatever it takes to beat Serena. And MARY CARILLO stepped up and challenged him on that one.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts

What exactly did Mary Carillo say that badmouthed Serena? What I heard her say was that she wished ALL the women would show as much dedication to the sport as the men do, so that she could see the women play major finals that are as competitive as Nadal-Federer. If you heard something else, please enlighten me.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I heard Chris Fowler telling her they dont want to do it her way but THEIR OWN way.
She kept insisting that it wasnt too much for HER to ask to see more finals where Serena, and by extension Venus competes like this all the time.
She cant want all she wants, but she isnt swinging any rackets last time i checked.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris Fowler is a douche. He defended Serena here but he has said much worse about both sisters before.
Care to quote him?

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
Care to quote him?
I don't have the exact quote but basically at AO 2006 he said that now that all the women players were athletic and could hit the ball hard, women's tennis could finally about the "tennis" and because of that V&S couldn't compete at the top anymore. i.e. V&S don't know how to play tennis i.e. the same criticism they've been getting their entire careers.

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
Loved it. :lol:

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
What exactly did Mary Carillo say that badmouthed Serena? What I heard her say was that she wished ALL the women would show as much dedication to the sport as the men do, so that she could see the women play major finals that are as competitive as Nadal-Federer. If you heard something else, please enlighten me.
It was fine the first 5 times she said it. Then she said it another 5 or 6 times during play and after and during the awards presentation and then after in the post commentary. She went beyond harping and basically saying the same thing over and over until when she stopped talking about Serena only, all our eyes and ears were blearied by it and everything just seemed like it was all about Serena.

And, I think it is bad mouthing the women to say that they don't have as much dedication to the sport as the men. When someone comes along that has as much talent as Serena and Vee, then maybe there will some competition. Until they, they can only play what is on the other side of the net. And please as error ladened as the mens final was, it was not anything outstanding. It merely went five sets, like Venus and Lindsay's went to 3 sets in 2005 Wimbledon. It was an exciting match, but it wasn't a clean match. At least not by the golden boy, aka head case Federer. I don't think I've ever seen Federer play so badly. At least the women don't cry like big babies when they lose, at least not so much so that they can't even compose themselves to say thank you. :shrug:

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

·
Premium Member
19,803 Posts
The only fair commentators are Mary Jo, Zina Garrison and to some extent the reformed John Mcenroe.

Mary Carillo, Chris Fowler, Martina N., Tracy Austin, and Pam Shriver are the worst offenders.:rolleyes: They are overly negative when it comes to the sisters and have a personal bias against them. It's nauseating to hear their commentary, often times I turn the volume down when Serena is playing to not hear the negativity.

Patrick McEnroe, Bill McAtee, and Cliff Drysdale are lightweight meaning they aren't as bad. At least they can give credit where it's due but that's because they're older men. On the other hand, Chirs Fowler acts like a straight up woman while Carillo wants to be a man.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I liked what Chris Fowler did, too, but it seemed staged, in my opinion. They had to do something to liven up the 59 minute thrashing. ;)

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
It was fine the first 5 times she said it. Then she said it another 5 or 6 times during play and after and during the awards presentation and then after in the post commentary. She went beyond harping and basically saying the same thing over and over until when she stopped talking about Serena only, all our eyes and ears were blearied by it and everything just seemed like it was all about Serena.

And, I think it is bad mouthing the women to say that they don't have as much dedication to the sport as the men. When someone comes along that has as much talent as Serena and Vee, then maybe there will some competition. Until they, they can only play what is on the other side of the net. And please as error ladened as the mens final was, it was not anything outstanding. It merely went five sets, like Venus and Lindsay's went to 3 sets in 2005 Wimbledon. It was an exciting match, but it wasn't a clean match. At least not by the golden boy, aka head case Federer. I don't think I've ever seen Federer play so badly. At least the women don't cry like big babies when they lose, at least not so much so that they can't even compose themselves to say thank you. :shrug:
Chile, don't even get me started on Fed's crybaby ass. One of the most despicable things I've seen on a tennis court. :eek:

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
OH, probably the way she felt the need to say it, 43 times and talk all over the award ceremony about it and make it the bumper in and out of every commercial and then turn it into the sarcastic closing package about her "being happy that Serena was out selling juicers".

Carillo conducted herself with the same lack of class that everyone loves to stone Serena for lacking - only worse since she gets to do it every day, she couldn't just shut the f*ck up for 5 minutes and let us enjoy a historical moment. :(

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
It's no secret I'm no fan of Mary Carillo and yet here we go again, I have to defend her.

Bad mouthed Serena? What freaking match were you watching. Mary was having such a lovefest about Serena that it was making nauseated.

If you consider Mary wanting to literally be in Serena's space bad mouthing than you need to start watching figure skating.........

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Mary Carillo, Chris Fowler, Martina N., Tracy Austin, and Pam Shriver are the worst offenders.:rolleyes: They are overly negative when it comes to the sisters and have a personal bias against them. It's nauseating to hear their commentary, often times I turn the volume down when Serena is playing to not hear the negativity.

Patrick McEnroe, Bill McAtee, and Cliff Drysdale are lightweight meaning they aren't as bad..
Pmac isn't a saint, I remember one time after Serena or Venus (can't remember) lost a match he said the reason why was because all of the players were just as strong as them so they couldn't overpower players and it was all about tennis and they couldn't win with their tennis skills. Although the last couple years it seems as if he now realizes how important V&S are to American tennis and has backed off them.

Pam Shriver isn't as bad as the others she's mentioned with. I think Pam is just a messy individual who gossips about everyone, she's not impartial to the sisters IMO.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
OH, probably the way she felt the need to say it, 43 times and talk all over the award ceremony about it and make it the bumper in and out of every commercial and then turn it into the sarcastic closing package about her "being happy that Serena was out selling juicers".

Carillo conducted herself with the same lack of class that everyone loves to stone Serena for lacking - only worse since she gets to do it every day, she couldn't just shut the f*ck up for 5 minutes and let us enjoy a historical moment. :(

·
Premium Member
19,803 Posts
Pmac isn't a saint, I remember one time after Serena or Venus (can't remember) lost a match he said the reason why was because all of the players were just as strong as them so they couldn't overpower players and it was all about tennis and they couldn't win with their tennis skills. Although the last couple years it seems as if he now realizes how important V&S are to American tennis and has backed off them.

Pam Shriver isn't as bad as the others she's mentioned with. I think Pam is just a messy individual who gossips about everyone, she's not impartial to the sisters IMO.
I included Pam Shriver in the group because she's low down and I remember her nonsense when they would team her up with Mary Jo behind the commentating booth. She was always picking at the sisters finding ways to discredit them at every turn. I haven't forgotten how nasty she was back then but I realized she's turned over a new leaf now.

Patrick may have joined the bandwagon as of late and was a bit shady in the past but I remember him still giving the sisters credit even through his criticism. He was never really horrible to me in the same way as the others. Of course he had favorites and wanted them to beat the sisters but never was that vocal about it.

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
I think Mary Jo and Pam are the good commentators. They call the match. Not all this nonsense that Mary Carillo dredges up in the middle of play. I've said it before and I'll say it until it changes, why can't the women have the same type of play commentary the men get? We get their life story and the ball boy's life story during women's play. Even Chris Fowler is better at calling the matches than Mary Carillo. She is the worst. Not because of the stupid stuff she says about the WS, but the stupid stuff she says period.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I think Mary Jo and Pam are the good commentators. They call the match. Not all this nonsense that Mary Carillo dredges up in the middle of play. I've said it before and I'll say it until it changes, why can't the women have the same type of play commentary the men get? We get their life story and the ball boy's life story during women's play. Even Chris Fowler is better at calling the matches than Mary Carillo. She is the worst. Not because of the stupid stuff she says about the WS, but the stupid stuff she says period.
I agree, Mary rarely talks about the match itself and rambles on like a penniless drunk. I guess it's hard for her to call plays when she doesn't really know anything about the game. Hence her wack singles career :tape:

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
I agree, Mary rarely talks about the match itself and rambles on like a penniless drunk. I guess it's hard for her to call plays when she doesn't really know anything about the game. Hence her wack singles career :tape:
:lol: Penniless drunk. :haha: Anyway, yeah my sister asked me if Mary Carillo played tennis. I had to think about it and when at the same time my sister asked, she started talking about how she was playing Martina Nav. I told my sister, I guess so, but I swear I've never read or heard anyone else talking about her career. Pam and Mary Jo talk about their tennis careers all of the time during commentary, but Mary Carillo never does and I wasn't sure, because I sure don't remember her. I thought before she mentioned it this time, that I would have to look her up. I guess I'll still do that, since I'm still wondering about it.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts