Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason there has never been a Big Ten thread started on this site! Someone started a Midwest thread awhile back which will be fine for all the other conferences in the Midwest!

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts
that's the reason I created the Midwest thread, to INCLUDE both conferences, Big Ten and Big East :shrug:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Big Ten is changing! With the addition of Maryland and Rutgers and rumors now they are looking at North Carolina and or Georgia Tech to round out the conference with 16 teams, the days of a regional conference is over! Maryland is likely to add 100 million dollars to their coffer and Rutgers will probably get even more!
Don't know if I like this or not! College sports is now all about the almighty dollar!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
The Big Ten is changing! With the addition of Maryland and Rutgers and rumors now they are looking at North Carolina and or Georgia Tech to round out the conference with 16 teams, the days of a regional conference is over! Maryland is likely to add 100 million dollars to their coffer and Rutgers will probably get even more!
Don't know if I like this or not! College sports is now all about the almighty dollar!
Hmm, I doubt UNC will leave the ACC and their Duke rivalry. Who knows though!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With apologies to fantic for posting in this thread.
Nebraska with the early advantage in a top ten clash: http://www.huskers.com/fls/100/NU_WT/3-10-13/xlive.htm
Nebraska was a very good team last year but fell off at the end. They are a very well coached team! I think Michigan and Nebraska are the top 2 teams in the Big Ten with Northwestern in at third. They are all probably top 10 teams and will all be strong in the NCAA's this year. I also think the Big Ten is a top 3 conference in college tennis this year for the first time in long time!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Nebraska was a very good team last year but fell off at the end. They are a very well coached team! I think Michigan and Nebraska are the top 2 teams in the Big Ten with Northwestern in at third. They are all probably top 10 teams and will all be strong in the NCAA's this year. I also think the Big Ten is a top 3 conference in college tennis this year for the first time in long time!
I'll say top 4.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts
With apologies to fantic for posting in this thread.

Nebraska with the early advantage in a top ten clash: http://www.huskers.com/fls/100/NU_WT/3-10-13/xlive.htm
:mad: Go ahead, make my thread obsolete :lol:

:lol:
Let's be objective here, even when the troika-Mosolova, Muresan and Frilling- ruled the conference, when NU won the Indoors and ND finished top 4 in the team NCAA, they weren't top 3 :hug:

The tragedy is that all junior Midwest elites move to other regions :hysteric: Or turn pro;

Davis, Turewicz, Gibbs, McPhillips, Austin..they need to stop this 'emigration' if they want to enter top 3.

But ah, the weather.. :hug:

·
Registered
73 Posts

Let's be objective here, even when the troika-Mosolova, Muresan and Frilling- ruled the conference, when NU won the Indoors and ND finished top 4 in the team NCAA, they weren't top 3 :hug:

The tragedy is that all junior Midwest elites move to other regions :hysteric: Or turn pro;

Davis, Turewicz, Gibbs, McPhillips, Austin..they need to stop this 'emigration' if they want to enter top 3.

I have not hear anything about Brooke Austin leaving the Midwest to attend college.
Has she committed yet?

·
College Tennis/Team USA expert
9,308 Posts
It's not 100% settled but she's not staying in Midwest colleges, she's probably heading to sunny... :lol:
There's been a bit of UNC talk, but I think she'll end at Georgia. I think Gabby Andrews could en up at UGA too

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Last I heard, Frilling never played in this conference. She played in the Big East!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yeah, then even less reason for Big 10 to be considered top 3 :eek:h:
Won't the Big Ten have something of a hometown advantage this year at the National Tournament. The host team is not likely to be present, and so the top teams from the Big 10, maybe the closest to having homefield advantage.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts
Won't the Big Ten have something of a hometown advantage this year at the National Tournament. The host team is not likely to be present, and so the top teams from the Big 10, maybe the closest to having homefield advantage.
Well yes, that's true I guess.

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts
Indiana just beat Duke (albeit Duke had 3 players absent, Trice, Kahan, and Turewicz :lol:)!

Still, that's quite a win! Maybe Big10 IS the 3rd best conference, after Pac 12 and SEC :rolls:

·
Le Conte's Sparrow
11,288 Posts
From NEB's website;

"Mary Weatherholt jumped to No. 10 in ITA singles with an undefeated record (14-0, 7-0 against ranked opponents) on the season, including matches against then-ranked No. 16 Ema Burgic of Baylor, No. 23 Brynn Boren of Tennessee, No. 58 Britney Sanders of Notre Dame, No. 41 Kelsey Dieters of Ohio State, No. 17 Petra Niedermayerova of Kansas State, No. 120 Melissa Kopinski of Illinois, and No. 55 Kate Turvy of Northwestern.

Mary Weatherholt and partner Patricia Veresova rose in the ITA doubles rankings to No. 7. The two are undefeated (10-0) on the season, including three victories against ranked opponents over then-ranked No. 12 Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely of Tennesse, No. 31 Petra Niedermayerova and Karla Bonacic from Kansas State, and No. 8 Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton of Northwestern.

Nebraska is currently 9-1 against teams ranked in the ITA top 75, with four of them falling outside the top 25. The Huskers have knocked off No. 7 Northwestern, No. 15 Baylor, No. 18 Notre Dame, No. 21 Vanderbilt, No. 23 Tennessee, No. 32 Kansas State, No. 37 Illinois, No. 55 Ohio State, and No. 64 Wyoming. Nebraska’s only loss came to No. 10 Miami at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Feb. 8.

The Huskers are the highest ranked team in the Big Ten. Nine teams from the Big Ten are in the top 75 this week, with a total of four in the top 25. The other ranked Big Ten teams are No. 9 Michigan, No. 10 Northwestern, No. 20 Purdue, No. 35 Penn State, No. 40 Ohio State, No. 49 Illinois, No. 58 Iowa, and No. 60 Indiana."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts