Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think tomorrow's final might be a significant crossroad for davenport. clijsters is clearly not in peak form judging by the close nature of many of her matches, so i believe that if davenport can get this title it might provide the self-belief that it seems she has been lacking since she has come back from her injury.

clijsters seems to have owned davenport lately, but i get a funny feeling this will be one of davenport's last chances to take that step up to the level she can play at. this us open seems to me like a big opportunity for davenport to get another slam before she retires considering no serena, an injured venus, a nervous kim, an unproved henin, an injured capriati, an injured rubin, and a mauresmo who hasn't played much at all since RG.

lindsay is fit, and i believe if she can get the confidence that winning this title would provide then she really becomes one of the real challengers for the title.

i'm not a davenport fan, but that is just my feeling. thoughts?

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
i agree that it is a big match and that a win here could change th rest of her career. i would think that it would give her the self confidence to go with the top players plus she gets a title out of it which always gives a player confidence. it would put her in good stead for the us open.

·
In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
A win tommorow will give Davey back the confidence she needs..... Good luck Davey!

Im torn actually, good luck Kim also..

Oh my, what do I do?!?! Hahahaha!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Lindsay needs to produce at least 80% of her first serves in if she wants to win this match otherwise she'll stay as a runner-up beauty once again.:sad:

·
Banned
1,856 Posts
:) For sure, tomorrows match is an important one for Davenport, however, the larger question may be, is Clisjsters heading/playing toward "exhaustion"...??? That question may even be larger than whether or not Davenport can defeat Kim. Surely at some point the poor girl has to be tired. I, also fear early burn out, even before the USOpen begins. Maybe, all my concerns are just premature, and she'll be just fine for the Open. At any rate, she should be ready as with no Serena, and Venus injured, the prospects for her seem even better.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
This is indeed a crossroads for Lindsay. Still for her to beat Kim she will to have the best serving day she´s had in years......otherwise it´s bye bye Lindsay.

·
Premium Member
26,690 Posts
Lindsay seems to have a mental block against Kim these days - that's not to say that Kim hasn't deserved to win the ones she has won, just that I think their games are more evenly matched than their recent head to head indicates.

Kim will also be feeling a bit of pressure with the ranking situation so it'll be interesting to see if Lindsay has the belief to take advantage this time.

Good luck to both ladies :).

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Agree with all above posts - I really think Lindsay has a great shot at the US open title if she had kept it together against Venus in Wimbledon quaters , I think she would have definately have made then finals. A player of Lindsays calibre should have won more slams in er career

·
Registered
11,120 Posts
I think that for Lindsay to win, all she has to do is think she can win and want to. I love Lindsay, but watching her Sugiyama match, up tons of breaks and all, she still went into attitude slumps. I think if she goes in with the right mindset, she can win pretty comfortably. Kim is obviously pretty tired, and Lindsay's only tough match was against Suarez. Kim had Sharapova, Kuznetsova, and Schiavone. The was Lindsay took Ai - wow. Go for it Lindsay!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.