Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bianca's 7-0 start to her record versus top 10 opponents got me wondering what the record was for other players. So I went and checked out the record versus top 10 in their first 7 matches for all active slam champions and some other past greats:

SERENA 5-2
KVITOVA 2-5
MUGURUZA 2-5
OSTAPENKO 2-5
VENUS 1-6
AZARENKA 1-6
HALEP 1-6
WOZNIACKI 1-6
STEPHENS 1-6
VENUS 1-6
BARTY 0-7
OSAKA 0-7
KERBER 0-7
KUZNETSOVA 0-7
STOSUR 0-7
SHARAPOVA 0-7

SELES 4-3
CAPRIATI 4-3
CLIJSTERS 3-4
GRAF 2-5
HINGIS 2-5
DAVENPORT 1-6
HENIN 0-7

As you can see Bianca's record is pretty unprecedented. Only Serena comes close, and along with Serena only Seles and Capriati have positive records throughout their first 7 matches. I was surprised at Sharapova being 0-7 and I thought Hingis and Graf would've had a better record.

I'm not saying this record of Bianca allows us to predict anything about her future by the way. No one knows what the future may hold.. Just an interesting bit of trivia I thought I'd share!

·
La nuit je mens
86,901 Posts
Yeah, you can compare them to very recent ones but as for the others, they were already Slam finalist at that age and faced their first top 10 players way sooner.

·
Registered
378 Posts
She is obviously right now a top 5 player. Maybe since Aukland.
Her rise was incredibly sudden.
There was an interview with coach bruneau on Canadian TV where he described how he didn't expect these results so soon, didn't expect her also to play so well after being off for months. They didn't even have a "team" in Aukland, just her and him.

·
Registered
27,881 Posts
Great achievement. But also weak era and inconsistent top players didn't give a damn about regular tours

·
Registered
527 Posts
There was an interview with coach bruneau on Canadian TV where he described how he didn't expect these results so soon, didn't expect her also to play so well after being off for months. They didn't even have a "team" in Aukland, just her and him.
Correction needed for "team" in Auckland: "her and Virginie Tremblay". Then, Bruneau was in a holiday.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
On the other hand, in December, Bianca went in Florida training before Auckland. She said she played many one set short matches against some top WTA players (did not disclose their names) and she did not lose a single set. So I guess it got her pretty confident at the start of Auckland, and it showed.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Cool stat! Will be interesting to see which top 10 player is the first to beat her.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Great achievement. But also weak era and inconsistent top players didn't give a damn about regular tours[/QUOTE

you can only beat who is around at the time.

if it was that easy, every young player would have done it.

what bianca has is more mental strength than 95% of the tour already.
that is the real story.

we will find out in the coming years if she can keep it up.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
Bianca's 7-0 start to her record versus top 10 opponents got me wondering what the record was for other players. So I went and checked out the record versus top 10 in their first 7 matches for all active slam champions and some other past greats:

As you can see Bianca's record is pretty unprecedented. Only Serena comes close, and along with Serena only Seles and Capriati have positive records throughout their first 7 matches. I was surprised at Sharapova being 0-7 and I thought Hingis and Graf would've had a better record.

I'm not saying this record of Bianca allows us to predict anything about her future by the way. No one knows what the future may hold.. Just an interesting bit of trivia I thought I'd share!
A really exceptional record that I think speaks to how mentally keyed in she is in big matches and how developed her game is so early in her career. I'm really excited for her future!

The other side of that coin is the "depth" issue. But um, I'd be curious to see who the players are that Justine and Maria lost to consider those two are the "greats" on the exact opposite side of this spectrum.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts