Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
Right now we don't even know if there's going to be a tour, let alone a rivalry.

Besides, the WTA doesn't lend itself to rivalries at the moment anyway.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Rivalry's are usually based off of consistency. Who is gonna be at the end of the tournament the most?

Barty is a safe bet for a few years whether you like it or not

Barty v Rybakina might be one to look forward to.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Rivalry's are usually based off of consistency. Who is gonna be at the end of the tournament the most?

I hope to God not, if it's true that they both consistent. Yawn.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

Barty vs Kenin has potential

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I hope to God not, if it's true that they both consistent. Yawn.
How so? Totally different game styles. Rybakina would have to learn a whole another game of tennis to really compete with Ash

·
Registered
94 Posts
This post is all about impatience. We have all these fantastic young stars and they're twiddling their thumbs, hoping to get time at the public courts. The frustration is crazy.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Gauff was held back by AER.

And Andreescu played on and off.

... so meh.
That's just it, a player who is restricted by WTA statute from playing tournaments has managed to play more tennis matches in the past 12 months than a reigning grand slam champion.

Andreescu will be lucky indeed if she can put together a full season in her career. I wouldn't be too surprised if she and Gauff never face each other.

·
Administrator
39,978 Posts
That's just it, a player who is restricted by WTA statute from playing tournaments has managed to play more tennis matches in the past 12 months than a reigning grand slam champion.

Andreescu will be lucky indeed if she can put together a full season in her career. I wouldn't be too surprised if she and Gauff never face each other.
...we're trying to make the same point. ;;lol;;

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
First let Gauff develop her game, grow out of her body, avoid injuries, hopefully she won't overplay and the Team8 marketing machinery won't put too much pressure on her.

Bianca has proven herself that she can play with the big girls her rivalvary looks should be currently between those <24>18 not young Gauff.

Remember when Djokovic was the new kid on the block and started challenging the Big 2 (Big 3 if you English)? His H2H with Fedal was negatively lopsided, before he grew made them all positively his.
This tour termination definitely helped her big time. She can actually minimise the risk of playing too much too soon now.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Rybakina will become the dominant player of the next decade. She's just 20 yo, with a huge talent, displaying a surprisingly high tennis IQ, an already mature approach of the game and a very good potential of development in the near future. Honestly, I can't see any real threat for her among the actual rising stars (and I mean the real rising stars, not the kind of evergreen RS Saisai 😁).

Supposing she will stay healthy, Barty will remain a top 10 for most of the decade but I assume her game was now very well scanned by her opponent's teams, is no more a surprise and later on will be more difficult for her to dictate having no topspin BH.

I'm afraid Osaka may become a new kind of Bouchard in terms of her tennis career evolution (of course so far Naomi has been, much more accomplished than Genie and has an opposite personality). I mean both have had like an one peak year, followed by an avalanche of hype and endorsements which in many cases became a mental burden and were proven to affect the sport careers of many youngsters with potential to become sports stars.
But she still has a lot of time to prove me wrong.

Andreescu has a perfect game vision and the technical quality to put it on courts (she's a kind of Rybakina in this respect) but she is a big question mark just because of her Swarovsky body.

Anisimova, Swiatek or Vondrousova don't look like having to much growing potential, still they may become steady top 10 players in the 2020's.

Sabalenka and Yastremska, meh... they are created just for making Madison Keys not felling alone out there.

IMHO Gauff has an excellent growing potential (technical, physical and mental). Her body is matching very good for this sport, her seriosity and commitment spreads kind of those vibes of young Williams sisters and, if the planets will align well for Coco, she may become the biggest threat for Rybakina in the future. In fact that's the rivalry I predict for the next decade, unless an unknown wonder-kid will come out of nowhere and hit the big time during the next couple of years.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Rybakina will become the dominant player of the next decade. She's just 20 yo, with a huge talent, displaying a surprisingly high tennis IQ, an already mature approach of the game and a very good potential of development in the near future. Honestly, I can't see any real threat for her among the actual rising stars (and I mean the real rising stars, not the kind of evergreen RS Saisai 😁).

Supposing she will stay healthy, Barty will remain a top 10 for most of the decade but I assume her game was now very well scanned by her opponent's teams, is no more a surprise and later on will be more difficult for her to dictate having no topspin BH.

I'm afraid Osaka may become a new kind of Bouchard in terms of her tennis career evolution (of course so far Naomi has been, much more accomplished than Genie and has an opposite personality). I mean both have had like an one peak year, followed by an avalanche of hype and endorsements which in many cases became a mental burden and were proven to affect the sport careers of many youngsters with potential to become sports stars.
But she still has a lot of time to prove me wrong.

Andreescu has a perfect game vision and the technical quality to put it on courts (she's a kind of Rybakina in this respect) but she is a big question mark just because of her Swarovsky body.

Anisimova, Swiatek or Vondrousova don't look like having to much growing potential, still they may become steady top 10 players in the 2020's.

Sabalenka and Yastremska, meh... they are created just for making Madison Keys not felling alone out there.

IMHO Gauff has an excellent growing potential (technical, physical and mental). Her body is matching very good for this sport, her seriosity and commitment spreads kind of those vibes of young Williams sisters and, if the planets will align well for Coco, she may become the biggest threat for Rybakina in the future. In fact that's the rivalry I predict for the next decade, unless an unknown wonder-kid will come out of nowhere and hit the big time during the next couple of years.
This post won't age well.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts