Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do we expect?

More like Fedal?

More like Gabriela Sabatini vs Arantxa Vicario?

What is it?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Let me edit it for you:

Andreescu vs Osaka vs Bencic

Let Gauff prove herself as she grows up before you start lumping her with Bianca (I know Bibi is 19 yrs but still...).

Gauff has shown maybe one of the most promising starts but that doesn't mean much in the long run. In fact, if not that Bianca won the US Open, there will still be the question of can she bring the form of Indian Wells and Rogers Cup to slams?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me edit it for you:

Let Gauff prove herself as she grows up before you start lumping her with Bianca (I know Bibi is 19 yrs but still...).

Gauff has shown maybe one of the most promising starts but that doesn't mean much in the long run. In fact, if not that Bianca won the US Open, there will still be the question of can she bring the form of Indian Wells and Rogers Cup to slams?
What?
Osaka is 21, Bencic doesn't matter.

Are you okay?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Let me edit it for you:

What?
Osaka is 21, Bencic doesn't matter.

Are you okay?
Osaka will be 22 next week (a day before my birthday). Bencic matters imo.

And yes, I am okay. So, is something wrong with you?

·
Registered
113,362 Posts
You dont see many rivalries in modern WTA. I thought Osaka/Andreescu and Osaka/Barty looked promising in Beijing.
But lets see how they roll at the YEC
Players come and go near the top. There are a lot of names like Stephens, Muguruza, Ostapenko, who were recently at the YEC as young stars, and they become very erratic.
So we will see. I'm not putting any new names like Muchova, Vondrousova, Yastremska, Gauff or Anisimova in there until they show top 5 play over time

·
Registered
54 Posts
What's wrong with Naomi being 22 next week? Sounds like she can be Federer to Gauff's Nadal. :D

But really though, I'm so happy that it's looking like we will have players who can hit the ball well, move well, serve well, AND compete at the same time.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Poor naomi already considered old and written off at 22 lol. ??? i hope my poor old fave keeps good form in her old age????
Anyways cori will challenge them in 3 years time. Tour's future looks great with osaka andreescu barty, then later Cori joining the seniors. Next decade looks great! And maybe more consistency at slams.

·
Registered
569 Posts
*Rolls eyes at those picking on the fact that I pointed out Osaka is 22*

Osaka is still young in the tennis world but compared to Gauff, they're not in the same age bracket (7 yrs diff). Her rivalry is more likely with Andreescu than Gauff. And it is premature to even include Gauff in this conversation as she is yet to fully develop as a player even though she has shown a promising start.

Andreescu has shown she is ready to take flight and compete with the big league. There is nothing to be offended about here.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
First let Gauff develop her game, grow out of her body, avoid injuries, hopefully she won't overplay and the Team8 marketing machinery won't put too much pressure on her.

Bianca has proven herself that she can play with the big girls her rivalvary looks should be currently between those <24>18 not young Gauff.

Remember when Djokovic was the new kid on the block and started challenging the Big 2 (Big 3 if you English)? His H2H with Fedal was negatively lopsided, before he grew made them all positively his.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Anisimova is still the most talented and fluid ballstriker out of all these young girls - it's up to Amanda to sort out her conditioning and improve defensive skills and she will be winning slams left and right against pushers like Gauff

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Anisimova is still the most talented and fluid ballstriker out of all these young girls - it's up to Amanda to sort out her conditioning and improve defensive skills and she will be winning slams left and right against pushers like Gauff
Tennis is not all about ballstriking though. And Anisimova's ball striking isn't even as good as Yastremska's - though it may look "smoother".

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Bianca and Naomi are going to be the Martina/Chrissie of this generation.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts