Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a comprehensive look at Bianca’s time on tour since the start of 2019 and the results are quite bleak:

(*Note: I forgot to include 2019 Cincinnati as a withdrawal due to groin injury in the spreadsheet, but have included it in my analysis below. Also, tournaments Bianca did not enter or were not held due to COVID are left blank.)

Bianca has completed only 10 tournaments in the last 28 months (and just 5 in the last 25 months) with the following results:
Auckland (2019) - F
Australian Open (2019) - 2R
Newport 125k (2019) - W
Acapulco (2019) - SF
Indian Wells (2019) - W
Rogers Cup (2019) - W
US Open (2019) - W
Beijing (2019) - QF
Australian Open (2021) - 2R
Phillip Island (2021) - SF

She has played but had to retire/withdraw from an additional 4 tournaments due to injury:
Miami (2019) - Retired in R16 (shoulder)
French Open (2019) - Withdrew after R1 (shoulder)
WTA Finals (2019) - Retired in RR2 and withdrew (knee)
Miami (2021) - Retired in Final (foot)

Including Fed Cup Ties and Exhibitions, her completed to withdrawal ratio is 11:32 (!!!!!!). She has played in just 35% of the events she entered or planned to play, and has completed only 26% without injury. This is a considerable sample size and regardless of injury, scheduling, or other factors Bianca seems unable to stay on the court. She is an exceptional talent and I love watching her play so I really hope something changes. However, at this point we have a decent idea of what to expect.

I will be sure to keep this spreadsheet updated as time goes on. Feel free to ask any questions you have about it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good observation! isn't she gonna play a clay tournament prior to RG?
She is entered into Parma and Strasbourg. She will likely withdraw from Parma and hopefully play Strasbourg. I’ll update the spreadsheet as the tournaments go by.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Her game is very physical and depends a lot on her great movement, so any sort of knee or foot problems will prevent her from making a serious run at a tournament.

The one WD that was most surprising was Grampians, when she was there training on the same courts but just didn't want to play an actual tournament for prize money and points. The WTA needs to figure out some way to incentivize it's top stars to play more (or disincentivize them from skipping events they're healthy enough to play).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Parma should be %100 withdraw cuz she shared in her ig that she wouldn't go to Italy for covid restrictions!
I believe you to be right....can't see her playing in Italy as she would not risk having to take a covid test upon arriving in Rome.....she would certainly have to take one upon arrival in Parma.....so I can't see much changing in a week. Very strange behaviour from her...if she had taken a Covid test in Rome and it was negative....she could have played Rome this week and presumably be good to play in Parma next week as well. Especially weird as she had at least one negative test in Madrid last week....so it seemed like a very small price to pay to be able to play in BOTH Rome and Parma. VERY STRANGE from her considering she keeps saying "she can't wait to get back on the court" (presumably):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I believe you to be right....can't see her playing in Italy as she would not risk having to take a covid test upon arriving in Rome.....she would certainly have to take one upon arrival in Parma.....so I can't see much changing in a week. Very strange behaviour from her...if she had taken a Covid test in Rome and it was negative....she could have played Rome this week and presumably be good to play in Parma next week as well. Especially weird as she had at least one negative test in Madrid last week....so it seemed like a very small price to pay to be able to play in BOTH Rome and Parma. VERY STRANGE from her considering she keeps saying "she can't wait to get back on the court" (presumably):rolleyes:
it is not the test but Italian government is asking to do hard quarantine from non eu visitors in a hotel, she doesn't want to miss training like in australia imo afaiu from this.

Bianca Vanessa🦋 (@biancaandreescu_) • Instagram photos and videos

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

yeah but why risk it?

Defaulting out of Rome says that Bianca has got her eyes set squarely on the FO. Testing positive for COVID in Italy would have really screwed her, even if the chances of it happening were small. Her key destination is France, so she might as well go there straight away.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
She has one slam. Star is a stretch. When those 2019 points start tumbling off maybe she’ll have a more active schedule.
Yup, she would play if not for those frozen points I bet.

Reactions: crescentmoon

·
*Sesil*
20,728 Posts
Yup, she would play if not for those frozen points I bet.
Absolutely. She can continue to screw around while her ranking is kept artificially high. The withdrawal from the Grampians was particularly egregious. Like she basically wants to just play slams, Miami and IW.

She’s a Serena style schedule but has never made it past the 2nd round of a slam other than the USO

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
yeah but why risk it?

Defaulting out of Rome says that Bianca has got her eyes set squarely on the FO. Testing positive for COVID in Italy would have really screwed her, even if the chances of it happening were small. Her key destination is France, so she might as well go there straight away.
Makes sense I guess......even though I don't agree. cheers.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Bibi needs to find a way to get more cheap points and not make every match a grind fest. Maybe an improved serve could help her get a more consistent 1-2 punch?

For example in her match against Sakkari, Sakkari was holding so much easier than Bibi. She could have maybe closed out the match quicker if she got some nice love holds herself.

Of course, even then her body could simply just be too prone to injury, but something needs to change for her if she wants to play more on the tour.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Andreescu is still a rookie.

She hasn't truly played a full WTA main tour season. In reality, she only played NINE events in 2019 (Auckland, AO, IW, Miami, FO, RC, USO, Beijing, Shanzhen) with 3 retirements. She only played a grass match on the main tour (1R against Kucova in 2017) and only 3 clay matches on main tour (1R against Bouzkova in FO 2019 and the two Fed-Cup matches (?)

Yes, her body is important, but she can't become a true top player if she doesn't play enough. She is no Serena. She can't show up and destroy everybody. This is not 2019 anymore .
She must learn to become consistent, how to adapt her game depending on the surface,manage the first rounds easily (like Serena and Fedalovic ), figure out different gamestyles, improve her game day by day which has not yet reached full maturity (her net game is bad, and her serve quite inconsistent, her backhand slice is spineless and her shot selection still very raw). She is like 2007/2008 Djokovic or 1999 Serena.
It will take time, and IMO she won't win a GS in 2021. I think that Barty, Osaka, Sabalenka are too strong and experimented for the moment for her. It will maybe in 2022. Serena reached her peak in 2002 and Djokovic in 2011, three years after their first GS.

Same thing for Swiatek (she should have entered a 250 on clay ), she won't be the female Nadal

I hope she will have AT LAST a normal schedule from Strasbourg if she is healthy and hungry.
She was unlucky with the injuries and the Covid season (it was a mess for everybody after all).

I hope with Roland Garros, she will continue what she stopped in 2019.

·
Registered
Ksenia Efremova
564 Posts
Wow, so many posts and threads always when Bianca widraws from some tournament, it s really absurd :)
Bianca Andreescu Has Completed Only Five Tournaments Since Winning Indian Wells in 2019 and she is still top 7 player, her ranking is almost not affected by that, I think Bianca s ranking will be same after Rome. Bianca is doing great - I think she still has very good chance to have enough points for Shenzen, it s just beggining of season. She is talented enough to accumulate enough points in a few tournaments.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
yeah but why risk it?

Defaulting out of Rome says that Bianca has got her eyes set squarely on the FO. Testing positive for COVID in Italy would have really screwed her, even if the chances of it happening were small. Her key dee, so shestination is Franc might as well go there straight away.
Yep....that appears to make sense. No way she will play in Strasbourg though....she is turning into a head case. Can you imagine if she had some minor injury in Strasbourg....with no break to recover before RG, after rationalizing skipping Rome and Parma?:rolleyes: So she will release another short, uninformative tweet this Saturday or Sunday withdrawing from Parma....again citing "risks from Italian Govt. covid restrictions" whatever that means:rolleyes:....and another one shortly before withdrawing from Strasbourg....probably referencing "focusing on RG" on some such nonsense.

Odds she actually steps on the court at Roland Garros? Even money dude...at best. I really don't expect her to play until Wimbledon actually. Seriously.....why risk playing on clay for ONE tournament when she can "focus her training efforts to get ready for Wimbledon and the upcoming Hard court resumption?":LOL:

One related note on this.....I wonder how her BIG endorsers like Nike and Rolex (and future potential endorsers) are viewing her right now. Food for thought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts