Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine it's 2019 and this board still existed. What would be the main topics of discussion here? This isn't a "predict the future thread", I'm wondering which events from the history of tennis will be strong enough to stir up the discussion in the future. Will Graf/Seles rivalry still bring up so much controversy? Will Navratilova, Evert, King, Court etc. will be pushed down even more in the best ever discussions? Will the rise of Venus and Serena be hot topic? Or will people wonder why Hingis didn't achieve more or how Capriati disappeared from the tour in 1993 and came back in 2001?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I imagine posters will still be arguing about Graf/Seles. That one is going to go on and on. Although neither side ever seems to convince the other side of anything.

Of course Venus and Serena will be talked about. The impact they had on the sport good or bad depending on who's talking. I think the question of how much injuries effected the sport will pop up. And that will lead to the question of did Hingis leave the sport to soon?

There's a good and bad side to what lies ahead. On the one hand people in the future will be able to watch for themselves the players. It's almost impossible to get matches prior to 1960. 15 years from now I'll be able to pop in my Conchita/Monica US Open tape and see what happened. I can't do that with Marble, Wills, Connolly etc. I can only see bits and pieces of their matches. It's sad that those players will be shoved even further back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
15 years is a couple of lifetimes in tennis. Venus, Serena and Martina H. will certainly be topics as well as the rise of Russians and Jennifer's strange odyssey from teen phenom to dropout to GS champion along with players whose names we don't even know yet. Maybe we will have another great rivalry to debate by then: One that gets to play itself out to completion unlike those of the past decade that tantalized us with possibilities only to end abruptly. Sadly, Martina, Chris, BJK and company will slip further back in memory, their accomplishments remembered only by a few old fans and tennis historians. Graff/Seles will still be debated, although with less frequency and inspite of the fact that all the arguments have been made countless times.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Well, let's see, AndyT will be in a nursing home and suffering from crippling arthritis and extreme osteoporosis, as well as be required to lug around a third lung. Unable to type his usual witty and sometimes provokative, but always statistically accurate posts, he'll have a stable of fine young parisian men at his beck and (cough cough) "thread-posting" call;

Alfajeffster will be gone for nearly 5 years- having finally reached the age of consent, he discovers alcohol, sloshes his way through a series of unsuccessful treatments at the Betty Ford Clinic, and ends up drowning in the old, abandoned World's Fair circular fountain (2ft deep) outside the entrance to the U.S. Open in an attempt to gain admission to a Steffi Graf seniors mixed doubles match without a ticket;

Daze11 will move into an exclusive suite at the Breakers in Palm Beach, where he will be in the midst of re-writing the history of women's tennis, as seen through the eyes of Christine Marie Evert;

HanaFanGA will be happily married, and have become somewhat of a gay-rights activist, having successfully petitioned the State of Georgia for his same-sex partnership, and won the civil rights battle;

Rollo will have discovered the fountain of youth inside the beltway at the bottom of the Capitol reflecting pool drain, and will become fabulously wealthy marketing his potion to rejuvinate female players from the 40s and 50s, who (now in their 90s and a few over 100 years old) return to the WTA tour and kick butt;

TennisVideos will have been discovered to be a computer database that has been hoarding all the classic match footage since TV's creation in Australia in the early 70s, and not really being a person at all, he (like HAL in 2001 Space Oddysey) begins to systematically control all of the CBS, NBC, BBC, and world tennis video archives with a one-world government scheme and plan;

Robert1 will still be arguing that Monica Seles was a better tennis player than Steffi Graf, and will periodically post threads with titles like "Alfajeffster is Dead- Good!"

RoanHJ will be the First Lady of the United States, and will have written several successful books;

let's see, who else?:angel:

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
alfajeffster said:
What about Irma? :) I see her becoming an amateur filmmaker and making a trashy, no holds barred, tell-all documentary about a certain tennis player who shall remain unnamed (she'll know whom I'm talking about) :devil: ;)

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
samn said:
What about Irma? :) I see her becoming an amateur filmmaker and making a trashy, no holds barred, tell-all documentary about a certain tennis player who shall remain unnamed (she'll know whom I'm talking about) :devil: ;)
Kind of like Leni Riefenstahl's documentary showing Adolf coming out of the clouds like a great savior to humanity?:lol:

More to come tomorrow- no heroes here, and I don't expect anyone to hold back from me, either- let's have fun with this!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Robert1 will still be arguing that Monica Seles was a better tennis player than Steffi Graf, and will periodically post threads with titles like "Alfajeffster is Dead- Good!"
QUOTE]

:rolls:

In 15 years I will have convinced Alfajeffster who still thinks Graf was better than Seles. And I might have shot Calimero by then. Honestly I don't think this site will exist any longer in 15 years cause no one will be interested in what will then be the recent history of Tennis (Williams, Davenport, etc.).

Reactions: HanaFanGA

·
Registered
411 Posts
alfajeffster said:
RoanHJ will be the First Lady of the United States, and will have written several successful books;

And I will try to combine the best of Eleanor Roosevelt and Jackie Kennedy. :)

As for the books well, if I can finally get back all of the endless documents I have filed for then, yes, I can finally put my book together and show to the world the real Alice Marble in all of her glory as a champion. Minus the fake marriage, fake miscarriage and really fake spy story. :rolleyes: From there I will do a bio on Helen Jacobs then that wonderful gentleman of tennis Gottfried Von Cramm.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
:lol: OMG! Ya'll are just too funny! The question is a good one though. In 20 years, will people ever mention great players who made wonderful contributions to their eras like Bueno? Casals? Jaeger? Austin? Mandlikova? Novotna? I'm not sure.

Because of this forum we continue to learn about Goolagong, Durr, and many other players that aren't included in mainstream tennis anymore. I know I'm enjoying it and I think it's a good idea to keep reminding some of the younger generations about such great players so that they won't be forgotten. One thing is for sure, no one can ever take their names off of all those trophies.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alfajeffster said:
Well, let's see, AndyT will be in a nursing home and suffering from crippling arthritis and extreme osteoporosis, as well as be required to lug around a third lung. Unable to type his usual witty and sometimes provokative, but always statistically accurate posts, he'll have a stable of fine young parisian men at his beck and (cough cough) "thread-posting" call;

Alfajeffster will be gone for nearly 5 years- having finally reached the age of consent, he discovers alcohol, sloshes his way through a series of unsuccessful treatments at the Betty Ford Clinic, and ends up drowning in the old, abandoned World's Fair circular fountain (2ft deep) outside the entrance to the U.S. Open in an attempt to gain admission to a Steffi Graf seniors mixed doubles match without a ticket;

Daze11 will move into an exclusive suite at the Breakers in Palm Beach, where he will be in the midst of re-writing the history of women's tennis, as seen through the eyes of Christine Marie Evert;

HanaFanGA will be happily married, and have become somewhat of a gay-rights activist, having successfully petitioned the State of Georgia for his same-sex partnership, and won the civil rights battle;

Rollo will have discovered the fountain of youth inside the beltway at the bottom of the Capitol reflecting pool drain, and will become fabulously wealthy marketing his potion to rejuvinate female players from the 40s and 50s, who (now in their 90s and a few over 100 years old) return to the WTA tour and kick butt;

TennisVideos will have been discovered to be a computer database that has been hoarding all the classic match footage since TV's creation in Australia in the early 70s, and not really being a person at all, he (like HAL in 2001 Space Oddysey) begins to systematically control all of the CBS, NBC, BBC, and world tennis video archives with a one-world government scheme and plan;

I think at least one of those predictions is very realistic! ;)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Kind of like Leni Riefenstahl's documentary showing Adolf coming out of the clouds like a great savior to humanity?:lol:
The player I was talking about isn't who you think it is. I'd mention his name, but I'm scared Irma might spontaneously combust. (Though I must confess that the devil in me wants to carefully remove his picture from the ads in London stations and mail it to her) :devil:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
samn is right. I am already doing research :devil:

thinking about it I can combine it and then make Steffi the savior and you know who as well :devil:

;)

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Stop it kids, your borising me!

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
In 15 years time, I'll still be talked about as the best player who ever lived.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Pamela Shriver said:
In 15 years time, I'll still be talked about as the best player who ever lived.
In 15 years time, Georgina Lazenby grabs the headlines by becomming the first transsexual to win the Ladies' Championships, Wimbledon! Proud mom Pammy, towering over everyone else in the players' box, reaches down over 6 rows of spectators and lifts her big little girl up into the crowd for a well-deserved giraffe-horn rub!:lol:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
in 2019,
Maria Bueno will be 80 and President of Brazil
Margaret Court will be 77 and in an asylum for deranged fanatics.
BJK aged 76 will be confined to a 4 foot wide wheelchair
Evonne 68 and happily looking after the grandchildren
Chris 65 (but looking 30) will be on husband number 5, a cosmetic surgeon.
Martina 63 and still playing mixed at Wimbledon
Steffi 50 and beatified by the Pope
Monica 46 and preparing for a comeback
Serena 37 and a daytime soap actress

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
Joana said:
Imagine it's 2019 and this board still existed. What would be the main topics of discussion here? This isn't a "predict the future thread", I'm wondering which events from the history of tennis will be strong enough to stir up the discussion in the future. Will Graf/Seles rivalry still bring up so much controversy? Will Navratilova, Evert, King, Court etc. will be pushed down even more in the best ever discussions? Will the rise of Venus and Serena be hot topic? Or will people wonder why Hingis didn't achieve more or how Capriati disappeared from the tour in 1993 and came back in 2001?

Williams sisters, Hingis & Capriati will be almost forgotten.
There will be long best-ever discussions about Graf/Henin.

:worship:

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
so Calimero thinks the Williams sisters will be forgotten but people will remember Henin?! Interesting....

p.s.: Do people even KNOW Justine right now when she´s playing?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts