Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the Lines: Garros 2003-Women's Singles Preview & Player Odds (Tennis server)

Garros 2003 Preview

Ray Bowers

THE WOMEN'S SINGLES

At this time last year, Serena Williams's run of four consecutive Slam conquests had not yet begun. Serena stood fourth in the year-to-date rankings, not many points ahead of the fifth and sixth rankers. But Serena's readiness to break out upward was detectable by looking at the outcomes of recent head-to-head play among the elite women players. We try the same exercise this year.

Serena ranks second to Clijsters in the official tabulation for year 2003 to date. But Serena has won all three of their 2003 head-to-head meetings.

Serena also leads in the play among the current elite superstars. I believe that this group consists of just seven players, who indeed are the top seven in the running 12-month WTA rankings. Each of the four Americans in the group has won at least two Slams, while the three Europeans have played at an equivalent level for some time.

Here are the records of the seven in 2003 head-to-head play within the group. Note that Davenport's two wins both came against Capriati, and that three of Clijsters's losses were to Serena.

Serena Williams, 7-2
Clijsters, 7-5
Henin-Hardenne, 5-4
Mauresmo, 3-3
Venus Williams, 2-2
Davenport, 2-4
Capriati, 0-6

Serena is thus confirmed as the clear favorite entering Garros. Here are the odds.

Serena, 2-1
Clijsters, 4-1
Venus, Henin-Hardenne, each 10-1
Mauresmo, 16-1
Capriati, Davenport, each 20-1
all others, 50-1 or longer

I believe that Serena will win the tournament, and that Clijsters will be the runner-up. The other semi-finalists will be Henin and Mauresmo, in my opinion. Also reaching the quarters will be non-elites Dokic, Zvonareva, Sugiyama, and Conchita Martinez.

Thank you in advance, ESPN, ESPN2, and NBC.

--Ray Bowers

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
1jackson2001 said:
I believe that Serena will win the tournament, and that Clijsters will be the runner-up. The other semi-finalists will be Henin and Mauresmo, in my opinion.
This person doesnt know what he is talking about...if he choses serena to win then how can mauresmo be a semifinalist? :rolleyes:

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL..he has the draw fucked up in his mind. I didn't realize that actually, but good close reading, iLuVenuSerena. :)

Anything so that Venus doesn't 'do well'. ;)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Maybe he made his predictions before the draw was released ... otherwise, he's just making a fool of himself!

Anyway, this 0-6 for Capriati does look really BAD!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Well lets hope that that record changes in the next 2 weeks! :bounce: ;)

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, what made you change to "Capriati Fan" for 2003? ;)

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
dont likes these predictions 1jackson2001--not agree do with them i dont

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jordan. said:
dont likes these predictions 1jackson2001--not agree do with them i dont
As much as I try to decipher whatever you have written. I must say that I do not really understand what is going on or what you are trying to say. However, if you pay attention I will state that those 'predictions' up there are not of mine but of the writer (Ray Bowers). So this is just in case that you were meaning to be like that or if it was something along the lines of that mumbo jumbo or whatever that comes out...and blah blah...and I shall cease my endless rant here...pfff

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
thanks for explain me--sorry dont know that was not your--dont angry at me please--thanks to you

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Lol, seeing how Conchita-Dokic play eqach other in the third round, I dont see how they can both make the Quarterfinals. And Sugiyama/Amelie are BOTH in Serena's quarter, wow this dude is stu.pid.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jordan. said:
thanks for explain me--sorry dont know that was not your--dont angry at me please--thanks to you
I no angry to you. ;)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Man, if VENUS wins or gets another runnerup at RG it will make a lot of experts and naysayers look quite stupid. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts