Tennis Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,967 Posts
100% disagree, her backhand was so solid even in defence from big hitters like Serena, Stosor's, Coco's, Key's forehands. She always stepped in and took the big loops topspin shots early. There is no denying the fact she could hit easy winners from anywhere on court, and keep her consistency up - BEST SHOT IN THE GAME!

If you want to compare with men's backhands in a similar league I'd say Warinka, Gasquet, Nalbandian, Paire. But then I say, image JJ as a man, and how much more muscle power she'd have. Faster reflexes etc... Definitely the greatest shot of all time.
It's funny I've always said JJ had one of the most athletic bodies out there on tour. I'm surprised you didn't mention Nishikori in the men's list, because the stats consistently support he gets the most juice out of his BH in terms of winners and points won due to it on average relative to any other player on the men's tour, and stylistically his BH is very similar to JJ's.

·
Registered
50,644 Posts
Maria Sharapova
Serena
Caroline Wozniacki
Simona Halep
Karolina Pliskova
Jelena Ostapenko
Svitolina
Jelena Jankovic
Anastasia Myskina
Nadia Petrova
Anna Chakvetadze
Vera Zvonareva
Lindsay Davenport
Martina Hingis

Yes, Jankovic had one of the best, but not the only best backhand down the line.
The other players I listed also have very impressive and strong backhands.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That poster was just being hyperbolic. Make no mistake, Jankovic's backhand is definitely legendary
Legendary is pushing it. It was quite clearly her signature shot, but that's in large part because the only other elite part of her game was her movement. Of the players getting mentioned throughout, she hit a much higher % of her winners via the backhand DTL, but that doesn't mean it's a better shot than players who also had/have killer forehands, killer crosscourt backhands, killer serves, etc.

I think she's on the long list of best DTL backhand, but she's not on the same level as Seles or Venus.

I'd put it with Halep and Pennetta, a rung or two down the ladder.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Maria Sharapova
Serena
Caroline Wozniacki
Simona Halep
Karolina Pliskova
Jelena Ostapenko
Svitolina
Jelena Jankovic
Anastasia Myskina
Nadia Petrova
Anna Chakvetadze
Vera Zvonareva
Lindsay Davenport
Martina Hingis

Yes, Jankovic had one of the best, but not the only best backhand down the line.
The other players I listed also have very impressive and strong backhands.
Li Na's and Azarenka's >>> Karolina Pliskova, Caroline Wozniacki, Svitolina & Russians (Pova is not Russian lol).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts