Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

To me, JJ always had one of the most consistently excellent backhands DTL.

Other great ones are Serena, Venus, Vika and Maria.

Who else?

Registered
@VeeJJ re this post, pretty sure down the line encompasses inside out backhands also. There is no shot in tennis history as good as JJ's backhand - including men's side. So much accuracy and control, both cross or down the line. If only she didn't have one of the worst forehand's in tennis history :( she would have won multiple slams!

Registered
@VeeJJ re this post, pretty sure down the line encompasses inside out backhands also. There is no shot in tennis history as good as JJ's backhand - including men's side. So much accuracy and control, both cross or down the line. If only she didn't have one of the worst forehand's in tennis history :( she would have won multiple slams!
I seriously doubt her backhand would stand up to Nadal's forehand like Djokovic's does.

Registered

To me, JJ always had one of the most consistently excellent backhands DTL.

Other great ones are Serena, Venus, Vika and Maria.

Who else?
Are you freaking kidding me?? And you left out Simona who currently has one of the best backhands down the line馃檮

Registered
I seriously doubt her backhand would stand up to Nadal's forehand like Djokovic's does.
100% disagree, her backhand was so solid even in defence from big hitters like Serena, Stosor's, Coco's, Key's forehands. She always stepped in and took the big loops topspin shots early. There is no denying the fact she could hit easy winners from anywhere on court, and keep her consistency up - BEST SHOT IN THE GAME!

If you want to compare with men's backhands in a similar league I'd say Warinka, Gasquet, Nalbandian, Paire. But then I say, image JJ as a man, and how much more muscle power she'd have. Faster reflexes etc... Definitely the greatest shot of all time.

Registered
Li Na.

Of course she was equally adept on both the CC and DTL, you couldn't tell sometimes where she'd go.

Halep is also very good at the defensive DTL, it catches a lot of people off guard because it's hard to play and expect winners from that position.

Registered
To add something to the discussion (although it is in general in this video)

At 00:25 Pliskova mentions Halep's down the line. At 00:35 Halep herself mentions Wozniacki and Wozniacki agrees at 00:40.

Despite all those being slamless at the time it is Very valid, but I think what the slam winner at 0:44 says should be taken into account, Jelena indeed has a great backhand, sometimes underrated

Registered
Jankovic allegedly has the single greatest shot in tennis history, across both tours, and still could only manage one slam final? Yep checks out...

Peak Venus, Serena, Halep, Evert, Seles come to mind immediately.

Registered
Jankovic allegedly has the single greatest shot in tennis history, across both tours, and still could only manage one slam final? Yep checks out...

Peak Venus, Serena, Halep, Evert, Seles come to mind immediately.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right??? It's from a poster with Jankovic references in his/her screenname, with exactly two posts total, both on this page, both declaring it the greatest shot, of all time, male or female. Yeah....let's definitely take that seriously.

That's a good and pretty comprehensive list. Seles was the name that jumped to my mind first and foremost. I think she takes the prize, and she made it doubly effective because she could hit angles on the crosscourt unlike anyone else so players had to cover the crosscourt, which meant she could dial the power down and the placement up on the down-the-line and still be devastating with it.

Registered
That poster was just being hyperbolic. Make no mistake, Jankovic's backhand is definitely legendary

Other than her and those already mentioned, Muguruza and to a lesser degree Kuznetsova stand out to me

Registered
I think Jankovic, Venus, Clijsters stand around the top of this podium.

Jankovic has the timing and body weight transfer on this shot down pat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts