Tennis Forum banner

Best Slam of 2019

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that's all the slams done for 2019. Which one had the best final and how would you rank them?

For me:

01 Australian Open
02 US Open
03 Wimbledon
04 French Open (less said about this one the better!)

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Australian Open even if Petra lost :( can't really gauge US Open yet because of recency bias.
French Open was a borefest, and it was too bad that Wimbledon didn't happen this year, would have been great.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I feel like the stakes were higher at Wimbly and USO than the AO (race to no. 24), and they were both great matches. USO was more dramatic, though.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,093 Posts
Australian Open - pretty good

BIG GAP

Usopen - meh

Wimbledon - pretty bad

BIG GAP

French Open - WORST GODAWFUL TOURNAMENT THIS CENTURY. It should be erased from history.

French Open is my favourite slam, but it whatever happened there this year. I refuse to acknowledge the shitfest that was going on there. All in all the grandslams were pretty terrible this year. Wimbledon also. A lot of the topplayers are totally out of shape these last months. It has not been good. I've been hating tennis for these last months.

Reactions: bud887

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AO gave me hope that we were finally going to get some consistency, but Naomi crumbling under the spotlight opened it all up for everyone else.
I think Bianca will definitely be the one to beat in 2020 - and will probably free all the tension in Naomi's racquet and she may turn things up again in Australia.

·
Registered
116,544 Posts
I am fascinated by Serena's crumbling in finals, especially when the media keeps saying: This is when she gets 24, so I liked all of them but Paris
I think she will finish with 23 and the AO will be tremendous! Andreescu, Bencic, Osaka, Svitolina, Halep, Barty at home. The tour is changing, you could see it happening last USO
It went from 2 players locked in at 1 & 2 winning the first 2 majors of 2018, then Kerber, another veteran, and by the time Osaka won NY, you could see the shift coming, and now its clear these younger players are taking over, led by Andreescu

·
Registered
510 Posts
Australian. Both players peaking at about the same time. Kvitova was on a 11 match winning streak and just won Sydney. Osaka wins 7-6, 2-6, 6-4. Today's match got interesting in the 2nd set, the other two slams tied for worse.

·
Registered
21,523 Posts
Tough call. RG was the worst for me because Vondrousova was totally inhibited and looked like an amateur.

Wimbledon was good for one of Halep's best ever performances to date.

US Open the tension for sure and Bianca breaking out makes it the best for me.

AO was a fine match in competitiveness but I somehow enjoyed the USO and Wimbledon a lot more even if the display from Serena wasn't quite up there. I think any Serena match just raises the stakes for what the opponent must do.

So USO > Wimby > AO >>> RG

·
Banned
32,000 Posts
EDIT: Oh god, I misread the thread title. Thought it was about slams in general, not slam finals.

RG was the worst, but I liked the rest of the tournament.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
AO
USO
W
A travesty

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
EDIT: Oh god, I misread the thread title. Thought it was about slams in general, not slam finals.

RG was the worst, but I liked the rest of the tournament.
The thread title and poll title are contradictory. You're not to blame for the mistake. The thread title asks about final, the poll asks about slam in general. OP needs to make a correction. Regardless of the question, French Open is still the worst.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts