Tennis Forum banner

Who is the best returner of serve on the tour?

• Venus

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • Serena

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Martina

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • Lindsay

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • Monica

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Kim

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Jennifer

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • Jelena

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Justine

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Amelie

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Daniela

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Reality simplifies this for me. Some of the best service returners on the tour are injured. Davenport's out. Serena's out. Kim's out.

I think Venus is the best returner because ...

1) She has incedible rangle. She's two inches taller than any uninjured player in the top ten. She has long arms, long legs and move well to both sides. And she's just as fast as her sister or Justine. She's simply the most difficult player on the tour to hit the ball past. And she can hit a winner on the dead run, forehand or backhand. So virtually every ball she can reach is a potential winner. She isn't as perfect with the stand-still backhand as Lindsay. She certainly hasn't Jenn's forehand. But most of the time, whoever is serving, Venus has no trouble crushing the return. Her return is so good that, at key moments, even when she isn't serving she usually wins the point. Her return allows her to take control of points quickly.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Lindsay has the best return imo. She just sees the ball so early and knows to pinpoint the return to a t. She keeps those hands out in front, helps with her balance and allows the ball to penetrate the court.

Serena and Monica are tied for second. Serena's obviously faster but less consistent on the return than Monica. Both hit tremendous returns on both sides, lovely crosscout winners are produced if the wide serve is 'just wide' enough.

Return soon my lovelies: Serena and Lindsay

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I pick Monica because she hits a huge number of return winners. Not "just past the racket" winners, but rather ones that the opponent makes no attempt to retrieve, just stares digustedly at. And she can do it from either court to either court, forehand or backhand.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Seles.
Monica is not only best returner on the tour, she is perhaps the best returner of serve ever.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Martina Hingis probably is the most effective returner and I base that on the fact the she wins tons of matches by breaking a whole lot because her serve until recently was not reliable. I think she does not produce as many clean winners as the big babes but that ON THE WHOLE she makes very few errors on the return and can PLAY THE RETURN DIFFERENTLY on every single point like ten times in a rowl. Martina usually finds a way to get almost every serve back even a lot of big bombs because she picks up the ball on the opponent's racquet better than anyone on the tour. Yevgeny and Goran have both said that Hingis is the best returner because they as European are looking at the totality of her return game and how she uses it to set up the point for the second or third shot and push you around with her placement.

Consider this: Why is that Hewitt and Agassi are often considered the best returners in the men's game? They, like Martina, throw in the occasional clean winner or very aggressive return when pull out wide or when it is a big point. BUT, Agassi has repeatedly talked about "discipline in tennis". Agassi and Hewitt tend to know when to attack and when it is best to just fend off the bomb and make the server play the return. We all know that after hitting a big serve that when it comes back you are immediately under pressure. You 've just hit a huge serve but Agassi or Martina have already gotten it back and lord knows what kind of spin or where it is going. If you do punish the second ball or doing something good you know that Martina or Andre is gonna already know how to take advantage of your court position.

And yet the American female commentators regularly name Davenport and Seles as some of the best returner. It is fashionable in the women's game now to be a big hitter. I find it interesting that the men's game names Hewitt and Agassi the best returners but the women say it is the punishers Davenport and Seles. Maybe it is just a reflection of where men's and women's tennis are. Even Monica and Pam Shriver both have said that almost all of the girls only know one speed- super hard.

HOWEVER if you were to ask me who was the most LETHAL return of serve as in just one shot that ends it all- I would pick Monica Seles or any other top power player. Not Martina. I just think that Martina breaks her opponents a lot and see the return game as a whole differently than the ability to cream the return. With those creamed returns come also many misfires which gives the opponent a free point. Also if you know that your opponent is gonna cream your return 90% of the time then you can fool them and also anticipate the play. Sometimes of course there is nothing you can do when they hit a clean winner but it happens to all the players so you just raise your racquet and give a little clap.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Martina!!I love her return of serve,its way better than some people*cough*....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
agree treufreund

that saved me a lot of typing ;)

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Its...

Lindsay.

If you watch her matches you'll
know that the only thing that
doesn't comeback is a clean
Venus or Serena "ace" that's
simply untouchable.

Venus and Serena on the other
hand can go a stray on returns.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I agree with treufreund. Great post.

I think Martina's return is very underrated. Everyone goes for the power, and maybe overlooks Martina's precise and varied returns.

Martina forever!!!

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Hi destructo-girl. :wavey: I like that avatar of yours. Anyway I think the top players don't at all underestimate Martina's return of serve. She has come back against Lindsay, Serena, Venus, Monica and other top players many times in third sets sometimes two breaks because of her return game. But the posters on this board aren't top ten players either.:)

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
for me is : Forever and Ever Serena Williams! :kiss: :kiss:

Comeback lady I miss you :sad: :bounce: :hearts:

·
Registered
600 Posts
There is a simple mathematical way of doing this.

Who are the top players on tour? The players that win the most matches of the year.

Venus
Serena
Lindsay
Martina
Monica
Jen
Kim

Now, assume they all have the same record, same number of games played, etc. Who is going to hold serve the least? Martina, of course. Thus, she is going to break serve the most.

When Hingis plays, say, Jen, there is 10 breaks per match. But when Venus plays Jen, there is maybe 5, 6 at the most.

Martina gets everything back, deep.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Originally posted by treufreund
Anyway I think the top players don't at all underestimate Martina's return of serve.
Oh I know, but I meant by everyone else. Commentators, media, critics, etc. I think the players have experienced first hand, how devastating Martina's return is, but to everyone else, it doesn't look as obvious.

And Thanks. :kiss:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts