Tennis Forum banner

Best Player Never to Reach World Number 1 ?

• Dementieva

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Conchita Martínez

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Kuznetsova

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Kvitova

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Mandlíkova

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • Novotna

• Pierce

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Sabatini

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Suková

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wade

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts

·
Registered
113,579 Posts
Mandlikova, and it’s not really that close ?

Slams are all that matters on this forum, until it’s a player who’s results are from before the turn of the century and then for some reason the slams don’t matter anymore :lol:

Not to say that Kvitova, Na and Mary aren’t more accomplished than a lot of players who have reached number 1, like Ivanovic, JJ and Safina.
If its not close, Mandilikova muct have been really good. Because some pretty good players never got there

·
63,747 Posts
Mandlikova and it's not even close. She played during the era of Navratilova and Evert.

Kvitova can't even reach the #1 during a weak era because she's inconsistent :lol:

·
Registered
951 Posts
80 USO(F) - AO(W) - 81 RG(W) - WIM(F)

Back in the old days AO was the last slam of the year, not the first ;)
Thanks! Wikipedia is a bit (very confusing) even now that i remember this fact :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
She got to two finals, a load of Semi Finals, won the Olympic Gold, 16 titles and beat Serena, 3 times in a row, in two finals and 5 times over all, there's only been 5 players who have beaten her 5 times of more, and she was in her prime.
Is it Venus, Hingis, Justine, Dementieva, Capriati?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Definitely not Dementieva. Basically all of her wins against Serena were in the seasons where Serena took 5 tournaments seriously (slams and YEC) and couldn't give a rat's ass about any other tournament.

Other than that she was routinely owned by Sharapova and Henin and Jankovic and everyone else, even during extremely depressed eras such as 2008-2010 (which was the peak of her career).

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,070 Posts

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Accidentally clicked Sveta :-( But it's clearly between Hana, Petra and Sabatini. Probably in that order, too.

·
always getting what i want
17,851 Posts
I love Dementieva but I don't GET why she's so overrated on this forum. The perception I get is that some people think she's the best player to never win a Slam, best player to never be number one, more accomplished than all the Slamless #1s and yet more accomplished than all the one-Slam wonders.

Reactions: Triggervic

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Kvitova will be #1 by March for sure. So Sabatini. She only peaked at #3 but was only one win away from #1. She was just unlucky to be in an era with so consistant players like Graf, Navratilova & Seles.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Is it Venus, Hingis, Justine, Dementieva, Capriati?

Yeah those 5.

Where is Li Na?

I think she's in China at the minute:D

She only won 9 titles, but each to their own.

Reactions: pattyclijsters

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My top 10 :

1- Hana Mandlikova
2- Gabriela Sabatini
3- Mary Pierce
4- Jana Novotna
5-Svetlana Kuznetsova
6- Li Na
7- Conchita Martinez
8- Vera Zvonareva
9- Sam Stosur
10- Sloane Stephens

And you ?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I feel like I've seen this before...

Edit: Yep.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Petra Kvitova belongs on that list too, more so than several of the players on the list.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Of recent memory Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Kvitova, Mandlikova, Novotna

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
How the hell is Kvitova not on that list? She and Kuznetsova both would have gotten there easily had the #1 retired when they were #2, the way Ivanovic inherited that #1 spot.

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,948 Posts
Mandlikova easily. Kvitova after that simply because she should have been number 1 in 2011, but it was La Borz and a Copenhagen title that beat her 🤷‍♂️

A case could be made for Li, Pierce, Novotna and Kuznetsova, except they never felt like the most dominant players at any given moment.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts