Tennis Forum banner

Best Player Never to Reach World Number 1 ?

• Dementieva

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Conchita Martínez

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Kuznetsova

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Kvitova

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Mandlíkova

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • Novotna

• Pierce

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Sabatini

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Suková

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wade

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dementieva
Conchita Martínez
Kuznetsova
Kvitova
Mandlíkova
Novotna
Pierce
Sabatini
Suková
Wade

·
Milk and honey
3,517 Posts
After thinking a bit more about it, on reflection definitely Mandlikova, followed by Kvitova.

Mary was far too injured and inconsistent to ever really make a charge for no.1 (even in early 06 when people thought it was a possibility, injury struck again). Svetlana's big event wins were too spaced apart for her to ever really contend for it consistently. I feel like a lot of people would say Dementieva but I disagree.

Sabatini never had a chance. 95-early 96 was a good time for Conchita but Graf was cleaning up the majors that year.

Novotna's career high rank came at the time of Hingis's peak and Sukova was never getting to number 1. Wade is a British great but her 3 majors were also spread apart and she was never going to get to number one in the mid 70's with Evert really coming into her prime years.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depends what the crireris is. Sabatini in terms of consistent level for many years. However Mandlikova and Kvitova obviously so talented but had many weeks were they played like the #100 too.

·
Registered
21,363 Posts
Mandlikova, and it’s not really that close ?

Slams are all that matters on this forum, until it’s a player who’s results are from before the turn of the century and then for some reason the slams don’t matter anymore :lol:

Not to say that Kvitova, Na and Mary aren’t more accomplished than a lot of players who have reached number 1, like Ivanovic, JJ and Safina.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Mandlikova has the biggest list of accomplishments, but in the question of 'best player' I side with Pierce. Obviously wasn't consistent enough to get to #1 (by a longshot), but of all of these I think she had the most talent and was the biggest threat on her day.

If it *is* on accomplishments alone, i'm surprised Kvitova is winning. She has 27 titles but so does Mandlikova. The only thing is Mandlikova has double the # of slam wins, and almost triple the # of slam finals as well.

Even the other 2x slam winners won on multiple surfaces and made more finals.

·
7,499 Posts
Wondering why people rate Kvitova higher than Mandlikova. Has to be because of recent memory.

4 GS (3 different ones) to 2 (just Wimbledon), 8 GS finals (finals in all GS) to 3 (Wimbledon and AO). 14 to 6 semifinals.
This.

I came here and barely controlled my urge to vote Petra, because I really like her, and I know her to be better than some of the names there. But I soon realized I actually know so little of female tennis of the past century (only old recordings I watched in recent years), that it felt inappropriate to cast my vote in ignorance of just how good some of those ladies were.

·
Registered
19,640 Posts
how close were the respective players to the no.1 spot? Achievements are important but you need to have enough of them occur in a one year period to warrant a spot close to no.1.

·
Registered
19,640 Posts
This.

I came here and barely controlled my urge to vote Petra, because I really like her, and I know her to be better than some of the names there. But I soon realized I actually know so little of female tennis of the past century (only old recordings I watched in recent years), that it felt inappropriate to cast my vote in ignorance of just how good some of those ladies were.
Well this certainly does give Mandlikova some say in this:

W and F on a few occasions in the same season, and several SF, QF. 1980 was a particularly strong year and she finished YE#4. Undoubtedly she missed out primarily because of Evert and Navrtilova.

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Peak Pierce.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,726 Posts
Novotna reached 9 SF and 4 F while winning 2 CYGS in doubles and called too slow by Martina

1 - 20 of 81 Posts