Tennis Forum banner

Which performance was the best?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Not a surprise, but I'm going with Naomi. Simona's performance at Wimbledon was more dominant, but Naomi had to deal with a pantomime and yet she still played lights out tennis.

·
Registered
116,605 Posts
Its very close. they all played solid and got a lot of help from a choking Serena
Halep
Andreescu
Osaka
Kerber (only put her 4th because Serena was so poor. The worst volleying you will ever see)

Reactions: skytennis

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
It´s hard to pick, but I have to give Halep the 1st place, she was just flawless and impossible from start to finish in that final, turning defense into aggression like nothing.

Angie, Naomi and Bianca are all 2nd, I can´t chose

I would also add an honorable mention to Pliskova in that last AO even if it wasn´t a final

In any case, beating this version of Serena in a slam is mainly a mental issue, it doesn´t say much about skills

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Simona
Bianca
Naomi
Angelique

is my order as well...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Halep, BA, NO, AK

Halep cos she really didn't allow Serena to get in to the match at all.

Bianca, she faced Serena in the best form since her comeback. But had so much help from Serena's poor serves.

Naomi, she was so calm and focused and played really good tennis. But Serena had an unexpected coaching code.

Kerber, it's Wimbledon but Serena looked out of form just after coming back.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Objectively Simona, Serena didn't even break her serve once and made some rather "unplayable" types of shots under pressure that Serena could only applaud.

Then Bianca. Pretty good serving and hitting till that 5-1 moment. Serena wasn't half bad off the ground but couldn't outpace her for most of the match. You also felt Serena was on a mission and nearly levelled it in the first but Bianca tore it away.

Naomi. Very stern really. I never felt Serena got on a gear.

Kerber. A very raw Serena in this one, movement was off and she was very erratic.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well Osaka and Kerber caught Serena in a very tough moment so their wins were expected, Serena was a mess in those finals

2019 though, an entire different story. Serena is playing great but she was bested by 2 incredible players. I will have to answer Halep because she trampled the American so hard in the final that Serena looked like she forget what her name was. Andreescu comes in a close second with a very solid match, serving good, good returns and powerful forehands

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
NO
BA
Calm amongst chaos for one so young, and home crowd against you.
W were disasters.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
You have to go with Osaka. She had the least experience of finals in general going in, only one title going in, the crowd and Serena drama against her. She could easily have choked that match.

Reactions: NMQ

·
Registered
116,605 Posts
But Osaka also got a game from the chair, thats why I put her 3rd. She didnt have to break. The chair ump gave her a break, thanks to patricks cheating and Serena's nagging and insulting Ramos about the warning

·
Registered
34,923 Posts
NO - given it was her first slam final, at her age, and the shit-show she had to deal with

BA - given her age and that she'd never even been in the MD previously

SH - Played the match of her life, never seen her dialed in like that.

AK

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Halep gave the best Wimbledon performance, but Angie would have beaten her if they played the W final Angie 2018 vs Simona 2019.

Osaka played a better Serena IMO compared to all the others, as despite the scoreline I don't think the nerves were as strong. It was a tough match and Naomi had to be amazing on serve.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts