Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Angie losing to Vika at the 2015 USO. Left her heart and soul on that court.

Dementieva losing to Serena at 2009 Wimbly SF. Maybe the best performance of her career and still not enough.

Lauren Davis losing to Simona at the 2018 AO. Absolutely pressed everything she had out of her little body.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I'll add: Serena did nothing wrong in Wimby '08 final - Venus was just that good.
Kerber USO15 v. Azarenka was good but YEC12 was probably even better.
ASV left everything in FO96 v. Graf but it wasn't enough.
I'll also add Vinci in W11 v. Kvitova - that was the best I've ever seen someone play only to get eased past. Vinci played her best grass tennis that season only to meet Peak Petra in R3. Petra was just insanely good that match.

·
Registered
47,485 Posts
'01 Oz open QF... that was a great match.

·
Premium Member
37,451 Posts
Random answer (because I can't recall everything...): Lisicki in Brisbane 2013. Lost to Azarenka, then number one and in control mercilessly, while Sabine was peaking here and there with bullets Vika could only watch bounce one meter from her feet. But as we know, Sabine's not consistent enough. But the commentary was in harmony with my impression: Sabine, on the court that day, should have won. Well, this was the year she would reach the Wimbledon final to the least.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Giorgi - Stephens 6-4 1-6 6-8 in the third round of Roland Garros 2018.

A tough battle, lasted almost 2 and a half hours, played extremely well by both players, where at times both seemed to prevail, and Giorgi was defeated only at the overtime in the third set, having also served for the match.
Probably quality-wise the best match of the whole slam.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/1442021/stephens-passes-tough-giorgi-test-in-paris

·
Registered
278 Posts
Paszek losing to jankovic in the first round of the 08 AO, she was playing so well, simply crushing her backhand and had so many chances to close this one out but JJ somehow stole the win.
Also sharapova losing the 05 AO SF against serena, Maria played amazing but when her back was against the wall serena took her game to another level and came through.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts