Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Open around the corner, I sat down and made my list for best hardcourt players in history.

Top 5:
1. Serena( her game´s BUILD for hardcourts. 2 open titles.)
2. Venus( also good on hardcourts, but I think grass is her best surface. 2 titles.)
3. Lindsay( arguably the best until the sisters arrived. 1 title.)
4. Steffi( 4 or 5 titles, plus numerous Nasdaqs....although that record looks increasingly weak every year.)
5. Martina H( 3 straight finals, 1 title.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
bandabou said:
With the Open around the corner, I sat down and made my list for best hardcourt players in history.

Top 5:
1. Serena( her game´s BUILD for hardcourts. 2 open titles.)
2. Venus( also good on hardcourts, but I think grass is her best surface. 2 titles.)
3. Lindsay( arguably the best until the sisters arrived. 1 title.)
4. Steffi( 4 or 5 titles, plus numerous Nasdaqs....although that record looks increasingly weak every year.)
5. Martina H( 3 straight finals, 1 title.)
You seem to have a short term memory ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
steffi's us open record doesn't look weak at all. she won her first under the mental worst possible circumstances, knowing what would have happened if she had failed :eek:

another thing that deserves more credit but no people only bash because she felt empty inside and didn't played fake emotions :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great smash said:
You seem to have a short term memory ;)
Could be....that´s why I asked other´s opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,697 Posts
Monica Seles has more US Open titles than Lindsay and Martina do and the same number of US Open titles as Venus and Serena. She's also won 2 NASDAQ titles. Martina Hingis has won 2 NASDAQ titles and Lindsay has never won the NASDAQ.

Chris Evert won so many US Open titles, including 3 consecutive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,529 Posts
What criteria are you using? Are you talking about the levels of play the player displayed? In that case, the most recent players will of course be at the top of the list. But if you're going to talk about the "greatest in history," it's more appropriate to base it on actual achievements. And in that department, there's no way either Williams sister or Lindsay D can top Graf, Navratilova, or Evert (at least not yet).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tommyk75 said:
What criteria are you using? Are you talking about the levels of play the player displayed? In that case, the most recent players will of course be at the top of the list. But if you're going to talk about the "greatest in history," it's more appropriate to base it on actual achievements. And in that department, there's no way either Williams sister or Lindsay D can top Graf, Navratilova, or Evert (at least not yet).
Yep I was talking more about level of play.....and who would beat who on their best days on hardcourts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,624 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Chris Evert won so many US Open titles, including 3 consecutive.
Half of Chris's US Open titles were not on Hardcourt, however. Actually, she won 4 consecutive, but the first 3 of those were on Clay. What about Martina Navratilova, who won the US Open 4 times in a 5 year period and lost the Final the other year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
irma said:
steffi's us open record against nav is pretty bad.
Actually, it's not. How many U.S. Opens did Martina Navratilova play before she finally won? I think she had been playing the Open since 1974 or 75, and it took her until 1983 to finally break through, and then she faltered as soon as Graf and Seles came along.

Graf had a shakey U.S. Open start as a teenager, but then broke through and won in 1988, 1989, 1993, 1995, 1996, and played in a handful of finals. She never played her best there, either. I think her best hardcourt matches have been in California and who can forget the U.S. Women's Hardcourt Final in 1991 when she blew Seles out of the water! :bounce:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Actually, it's not. How many U.S. Opens did Martina Navratilova play before she finally won? I think she had been playing the Open since 1974 or 75, and it took her until 1983 to finally break through, and then she faltered as soon as Graf and Seles came along.

Graf had a shakey U.S. Open start as a teenager, but then broke through and won in 1988, 1989, 1993, 1995, 1996, and played in a handful of finals. She never played her best there, either. I think her best hardcourt matches have been in California and who can forget the U.S. Women's Hardcourt Final in 1991 when she blew Seles out of the water! :bounce:
I didn't mean steffi's overall record but her head to head in new york against nav

1:4 is not good and 2 wins were when steffi was number 1 already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
Diya said:
Why isn't Monica not in there ?:confused:
2 U.S. Open titles doesn't make the top 5 best players in history. That list is reserved for:

1. Steffi Graf- 9 titles
2. Chris Evert- 6 titles (3 on hard and all those finals)
3. Martina Navratilova- 4 titles
4. Margaret Court- you have to include her in the conversation, even though she never played a hardcourt major, her career hardcourt record is fabulous; and
5. Maureen Connolly- grew up on the hardcourts of San Diego, and had a terrific winning percentage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not so much about the sisters´place on the list. Cool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
irma said:
I didn't mean steffi's overall record but her head to head in new york against nav

1:4 is not good and 2 wins were when steffi was number 1 already.
Oh... we'll just not talk about that record then, okay? :kiss:
 

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
Joined
·
25,735 Posts
We really can't judge well before 1978 IMO, because that's when the US Open went hard and the current hard court era really started.

So my list would have to be post-78.


1. Monica Seles: this is hands down as far as I'm concerned. Monica won 5 straight majors on hard courts (91-93) lost the 95 US Open to Graf, then won Oz. That's 6 of 7 on hard courts and can't be beat.

2. Steffi Graf: Won 5 staight majors on hard courts (88-90) before loss in finals of the US Open to Sabatini. At their best I think Monica would win more than 50% of her matches vs Steffi on hard courts.

3. Martina Navratilova:won 4 of 5 US Opens from 1983-7.



Then it gets tough.

4. Evert (3 US Opens) has to be considered.

5. Hingis won 3 straight Aussies and a US Open.

6. Serena has won 3 hard court majors. Likely to move up.

7. Venus was close to unbeatable on US hard courts from 2000-2001, but her lack of an Aussie hurts her.
 
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top