Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Defense - How hard it is to hit a winner against someone.

We have to take into account , chasing down drop shots and service return, but most of defense in today's tennis is groundstrokes, with some left over for volleys. I WISH volleys were more important, but the top ten don't get to the net much against each other.

Who's the best out of the top ten?

Clijsters maybe? IMHO, she's a player it's easy to get and keep on the defensive. If you're one of about six players in the world. You won't necessarily beat her while she's on the defensive. She gives the opponent a lot of chances to hit winners.

Who else?

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Hingis, no question about it.

Venus and Serena, especially Venus, can defend spectacularly well, being incredibly fast side to side.

·
Registered
600 Posts
"Defense - How hard it is to hit a winner against someone."

No, defense is how well one hits the ball on the run or on your heels. Lindsay, for example, is poor at this. She prefers to stand in the middle of the court.

I'd say Martina is the most creative player on the defensive, but Capriati loses NO PACE AT ALL when she hits it on the run. Amazing. Clijsters, Serena, and Venus all have very good defense too.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I think Martina and Jennifer have the best defensive games. It all adds up to getting the ball back in play. Previous to the 2001 Aussie Open Jennifer had problems with rallies longer than 10 shots. Now she is a master of long rallies and getting seemingly winners back. martina has always been the queen of defense.

·
Banned
692 Posts
Martina and Venus

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Venus!! :)

Just look at how little winners Capriati hit against Venus. Venus has the reach and footspeed to get to just about every ball! That's why I think she is one of the best defensive players :)

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
martina is great at defense. she isnt that fast but she reads everything so well, she's often on her way there even when the ball is being struck.

·
8,263 Posts
Gotta be Venus,

Just look at her match against Monica and you will know what I mean, getting some seemingly winners back and make all players need to play an extra ball. Martina also is a master on this as well, but with less reach, she is slightly inferior to Venus.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'd say Martina. (surprise surprise)

Martina chases down anything that comes her way. She'll turn to chase a lob, she'll sprint to get to a dropshot.

Billie Jean King always says, hit the extra ball, in hope that your opponent might make an error on their next shot. And I think that's exactly what Martina does.

Martina's always getting blown off the court against the power players, but she still manages to get to a lot of the balls.

Like one particular point in the final of the PPO (which I managed to see some of), against Seles where Martina was metres behind the baseline, and Monica was just hitting hard shots, one after another. Several times the crowd thought Martina was gone, but went "ooh" when she stayed in the piont. I think Martina went onto win that particular point too.

Anyway, my point is that Martina stays in there. She's a great defender. And what else is cool, is that sometimes, it looks like she's on the defence, but she's really the one dictating the point. (but thats for another thread). And I love how Martina chases balls down, just for the love of the game, and the challenge. But again, thats for another thread. Just my ramblings on Martina.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
What is also great about Hingis's defense, is that her amazing technique shows there at its best.. No matter how difficult the shot is to chase, if she connects - it is in.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
ys said:
No matter how difficult the shot is to chase, if she connects - it is in.
Thats so true. I love how almost every single lob she gets back, goes in. Its so amazing, she can be at full stretch, puts up a defensive lob, to give herself enough time to get back onto the court, and it can turn out to be a winner, because her opponent isn't expecting it, or can't get back in time, or didn't think it'd go in, but the ball would be a nice distance in every line.

Ahhh, Martina Hingis. Magic at work.

·
20,610 Posts
But there is where you need speed to get to the ball. And there is where Venus aces everyone :)

Besides, Venus/Serena/Capriati are more amazing in that they manage to get shots back deep and hard even when on the defense. That imo, is far better than a lob.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Come on, W_R. How much skill do you have to have to be able to control where you place a lob? Come on, admit it. Hingis is good, you know it. ;)

And also, Martina's not slow when it comes to speed. ( :rolleyes: @ lame joke - silly dest_gal) She gets to the ball in a spilt second, and in that time, she's already managed to decide where to play the ball to, how to outsmart her opponent.

And Martina doesn't need to overplay her shots. A light return, taking off the speed of the ball, is yet, another defensive tactic.

Now when you take into account all the great ways Martina goes into defence, how can you say she's not the best defender in the WTA?

(Hey, this is IMHO. Not looking for an argument, just a light-hearted debate :) )

·
20,610 Posts
Well, I admit it requires plenty of skill to place a lob well. So Martina is good :)

But what I'm saying is that, you don't see Serena/Venus/Capriati hitting defensive lobs often, cause they are fast enough to get to the ball early enough to hit a ball or for that matter, they are very good at hitting on the run, so that the returns are deep and hard.

But I do think that when they are really stretched, they probably cannot throw up a lob like Martina or Clijsters can so they can get back into the point again. But the point is, that they don't have to do that very often. ;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Its true that Serena, Venus and Capriati all return very hard. And yes, Venus is very fast.

But there's more to it than that, isn't there?

And the thing is, they don't always run for it. Even if they could have gotten to it. If they feel like it, they run; if they don't, they don't. So doesn't that come into it? How determined a player is, to get to every ball?

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Venus/Serena when their play TOP PLAYERS and STRONG tourneys and slams. Venus can get to any ball and hit it back with pace. Just ask any top 10 player.. lol You Hingis fans are kidding yourselves here. I just watched the US Open 2000 and Venus was hitting balls back to Hingis that made Hingis eyes light up. I also just watched last night the Serena vrs. Hingis US Open 2001 and I saw no defense from Hingis.

Hingis is a distant third because even thought she plays great defense during the majority of her tennis court time. I just don't think she brings those goods to the table during the HUGE tourneys and slams.

I mean I think alot of these players have great defense but I think Venus gets to every ball when it comes to playing the TOP players. This is where Jennifer/Serena and Hingis lack.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dawn, don't be a moron.

Mentioning the USO 2001 as an example of Martina is ridiculous. Yes, let's pick her worst match ever.

Why not try when Hingis kicked the **** out of Venus at Aussie last year? Venus would rush the net every other point and Martina would pass her, on the run, with EASE.

Hingis has a winning record against the Williams sisters. Now, in ALL of those wins, who was the aggressive player? Venus or Serena. So match in, match out, Martina beats them playing defense, not offense.

And Venus hits it hard when on defense. True, but unforced error is her middle name. Jen hits it HARDER on the run, and gets it in every point.

Martina and Jen are easily the top of the top. Venus, Serena, and Kim are second. Monica and Lindsay are nowhere to be found.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts