Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
63,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I buy a whole new racquet, I just want to make sure I understand correctly what I've read. I need to reduce the vibration and shock in order to relieve my arm or wrist tendons. Does that mean I need my strings to be tight? Wouldn't that hurt my arm even worse?

Tighter strings = control. But I don't have the power. That's where I'm confused about what to get :lol:

And, what are best racquets for arm/wrist problems? :cheer:

Many thanks.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
What racquet did you use before?

As for strings, you can't go wrong with natural gut for arm friendly.

Tighter strings would increase shock for your arm. You want looser strings for that, which will also give you power (to a certain extent). From your description of your game, you should not be getting tighter strings. But what did you string at before?

·
63,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What racquet did you use before?
Prince AIRO Hybrid Zoom. It is a little cracked on the top of the frame, though. Maybe I need to get a whole new racquet.

As for strings, you can't go wrong with natural gut for arm friendly.
Thanks, will look that up.

Tighter strings would increase shock for your arm. You want looser strings for that, which will also give you power (to a certain extent). From your description of your game, you should not be getting tighter strings. But what did you string at before?
That's what I thought.
I bought the racquet that came with the string, so I have no idea :lol:

·
Registered
37,713 Posts
My former tennis instructor used to sell ProKennex racquets to the club alleging they were very soft on the arm and good for people with elbow problems, and the ones who bought them were apparently pretty happy with them. I never tried one myself though. :lol: And yes you should go for a lower string tension.

Reactions: Povin

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you are having elbow tendon issues, I would avoid poly strings at all cost. If your racket came with the string, then it's probably some type of nylon or syn gut which is probably okay. I second Pro Kennex rackets. They are are very flexible rackets that are very arm friendly.

But, you should try them first because those arm friendly rackets have absolutely no power LOL ...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've had tennis elbow in the past. Use a Babolat Pure Drive (2012 version) strung loose with hybrid Luxilon ALU Power or ALU Rough and Wilson Sensation. Rough gives me a bit more spin/power, the Power gives me a bit more control on my volleys. No elbow problems.

·
Administrator
39,981 Posts
@Mateo Mathieu what kind of price range are you looking for?

Volkl racquets are known for their arm friendliness and excellent stability for the lower sub 11oz models. That'd be a good starting point. Also some more of the more mainstream frames like Babolat or Prince could work well when paired with the right string/tension.

I play with a Dunlop Biomimetic M6.0 strung at 52 pounds with Dunlop's Black Widow 16 gauge poly. There's some arm tiredness, but no pain, and I think that's more of a function of my getting back in 3 hour long hitting session shape.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This isn't a racquet or string, but vibration dampeners are worth a shot. Try these dampeners amzn.to/2g4Xcz7

As a full disclaimer, the product link above is a dampener I designed and tested myself. Honestly, any dampener is worth a shot to alleviate the pain! Hope things work out for ya.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've had tennis elbow in the past. Use a Babolat Pure Drive (2012 version) strung loose with hybrid Luxilon ALU Power or ALU Rough and Wilson Sensation. Rough gives me a bit more spin/power, the Power gives me a bit more control on my volleys. No elbow problems.
Don't listen to me. I've been in PT for tennis elbow for months. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I love my equipment setup. Really really don't want to change it...

·
Registered
678 Posts
This isn't a racquet or string, but vibration dampeners are worth a shot. Try these dampeners amzn.to/2g4Xcz7

As a full disclaimer, the product link above is a dampener I designed and tested myself. Honestly, any dampener is worth a shot to alleviate the pain! Hope things work out for ya.
Vibration dampeners don't do a thing to relieve elbow pain. Not at all. Sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts