Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best...

Star Wars - Glorious escapist entertaniment, told with verve and style and and bangs and whistles. A joy to watch even now!

The Elephant Man - Hugely sentimental, genuine film, brilliant made and acted. A stunner.

The Haunting (Original Version) - Scary. Really scary. Proper scary. Nuff said.

A League of their Own - Funny + Warm Hearted + exciting + Lori Petty= Unmissable! :)

Leon - Incredible action, sad tale... truly amazing performances...yes, amazing!

The Usual Suspects - A movie to be seen an again and again...for so many reasons.

Rear Window - Hitchcocks best, a film for nosey people everywhere!

Drop Dead Gorgeous - Fantastic mock documentry, the Beauty Paegent scenes are very very funny.

Austin Powers 2 - Funny! Time and time again.

The Wedding Singer - Funny, and very sweet and likeable. Oh and Drew Barrymore too. What more do you want???

Strictly Ballroom - Magicial Aussie movie. Bloody great mate! (As Aussies may or may not say)

Muriels Wedding - Another magical Aussie movie, dakrer than Strictly Ballroom, almsot as good though...

Im sure Ive missed some...

The Worst...or should I say most over-rated....

Pretty Woman - No. Way. Is. This. Any. Good. At. All. :)

The Haunting (Remake) - The polar opposite of the terrifying original. As scary as a bowl of Frosties. Certain people in this film can't act...can you spot which???

The Patriot - I havent seen it all, I can only bear to watch bits of it...the film is an anti-British, downright lying, absolute load of offensive rubbish.

Rambo - Crap. Ever so crap. And VILE with it.

Look Who's talking - The baby talks. The movie sucks. There were sequels too...help me!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Drop Dead Gorgeous - Fantastic mock documentry, the Beauty Paegent scenes are very very funny.
:)

Surely falling into the category of best AND worst film would be..........Showgirls.

Awful, cringeworthy, but absolutely watchable and hilarious!!! :D

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
best: forest gump, sleeping in seatle, the weddingsinger, there is something about mary, you`ve got mail and so many more:D

worst: I know what you did last summer
fear
scream 2(( I liked the first one but the second was real realy bad, didn`t see the third yet)

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
There are too many good movies to name them all, but the worst one ive ever seen must be the Blair Witch Project 2. Just awful :eek:

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
best:

Dancer In The Dark - emotionally gut-wrenching in a way few films manage

The Opposite Of Sex - razor-sharp dialogue, great performance from Christina Ricci

Four Weddings And A Funeral - happy, sad, happy, sad, and every character reminds you of someone you know

Pulp Fiction - true classic - great soundtrack, great atmosphere, and Uma Thurman

Dead Poets Society - despite Robin Williams, it's inspiring and moving, and - nearly - restores your faith in humanity

Elizabeth - astounding performance from Cate Blanchett - she IS Elizabeth; may not be historically accurate, but captures the intrigue and back-stabbing of the time perfectly

Toy Story - Woody or Buzz? Woody

A Streetcar Named Desire - the most perfect casting ever; one of my favourite plays anyway, and I think I'm in love with Vivien Leigh

Cruel Intentions - trashy, dumbed-down version of Les Liaisons Dangereuses, but that's why it's so good. Not to mention Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe :drool:

worst:

Pearl HarboUr - utter, utter shite; the director, Jerry Bruckheimer, is the personification of all that is evil in this world. This isn't love and war, it's romance and action to numb the minds of the masses

Titanic - see above; manages to outdo in crapness the utterly rank...

Godzilla - out of which I nearly walked. Despite being on a plane.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Don't want to get into an argument about this, but....

Toy Story 2 is waay better than Toy Story. Fact.

Best:

Desperately Seeking Susan :)))
I Shot Andy Warhol
North by NorthWest
Boys Don't Cry
Heavenly Creatures
Chinatown
Prince of Egypt

Worst:

Hanging Up (OMG! I wouldn't even recommend you see it for 'novelty' value).

Mary Reilly (if evidence were ever needed that Julia Roberts works best, excuse me, only works, when playing herself)

Hannibal Was very tempted to walk out during it. Saved only by Julianne Moore's freckles.

Psycho Gus Van Sant's remake. Now this I would recommend for novelty/comedy purposes.

William H. Macy and Julianne Moore (whom I adore) turn in the most laughably wooden performances of all time. Anne Heche is no actress. Vince Vaughn is both yum, and scary.

Watch only to see 'flea' from RHCP!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Best made:
  • ET -- come on, thats a classic
  • Jurassic Park -- this was so original, not like it before. The others weren't as good, but this was really the first of the kind.
  • Jaws -- like, JP, nothing like it.
  • Titanic -- everyone knows this one, whats to say?
  • Speed -- as if this isn't killer? and isn't Keanu at his hottest right here? :drool:
  • Batman Forever -- okay, best out of the Batman movies, with the best cast.
  • Superman series -- You gotta love this, old as it was.
  • Lois and Clark: the New Adventures of Superman -- Nice way to redo the Superman thing. And the show was good too. And Dean Cain did look good.
  • Mulan -- BEST DISNEY MOVIE! (imho)
  • Cruel Intentions -- evryone loves this. Don't you love this?
Worst:
  • Spice Girls Movie -- WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!
  • Can't Hardly Wait -- Puh-leez, tryhard much? esp. Jennifer Love "ooh, aren't I gorgeous" Hewitt. :mad:
  • Whatever it takes -- Cheesiest teen flick I have ever seen
  • ANTZ -- sorry, cannot compare to A Bug's Life.
  • The Babysitters Club-The Movie -- anyone remember this? can I just LAUGH as a response?
Bad movies that I love anyway:
  • Scream Trilogy -- okay, granted, silly slasher film, but it was good, damnit.
  • She's All That -- cheesy teen flick, but how can you not love FREDDIE?! :drool:
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- okay, complete crap compared to the show, but hell, it laid the grounds for it. ya gotta be grateful.
  • Simply Irresisitible -- this got the worst reviews, but I thought it was sweet...
  • Double Dragon -- another flop, but I found it so :cool: And I'm a sucker for Scott Wolf's dimples. :drool:
  • Clueless -- one of the first teen flicks. a keeper, this one. Stupid show though. :rolleyes:
  • Lion King II: Simba's Pride -- this is one of those sequels to an animated movie, which usually don't do well, but I loved it.
  • Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid -- have you noticed how much I like Disney flicks?

*whew* Long list, and I was nowhere near finishing. But I'd better stop, in case everyone thought I was a film-nut.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
thefreedesigner - I concede that Toy Story 2 is better. But Toy Story's a classic.

d_g - oh yes, Jennifer Love Hewitt is so obviously a bitch. I think everyone thinks you're a film nut now anyway ;)

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
BEST

The Silence Of The Lambs
Fargo
Once Upon A Time In America
The Exorcist
The Virgin Suicides
Best In Show
Boogie Nights :eek:
The Breakfast Club
Taxi Driver
The Dark Crystal

I could be here forever!!!!

WORST
:rolleyes:
I just wanna name one in particular..."Cherry Falls" LMAO....I cant believe one of my favorite actors (Brittany Murphy) starred in this direct to video monstrosity! lol! Its about a serial killer in a small town killing off virgins...so the kids all organise a "Pop your cherry" f*ck fest type of thing...do u know where Im going with this ;) Shocker.

Too many crap movies to mention!

·
***** Emeritus
42,424 Posts
Best: movies by David Lynch (although I haven't seen many of them)
Worst: movies by Steven Spielberg (I have seen too many of them ;))

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
another very bd movie was where Demi Moore was offered a million to sleep with Robert Redford, it was so bad that I don`t even remember the title

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
i'll just name one i HATE : The Patriot it was such stupid crap...
i'll get back with a list of movies i love and hate later lol

·
Team WTAworld, Superskyderen
13,888 Posts
Iva's #1 Fan said:
BEST

The Virgin Suicides

The Breakfast Club
Wonderful, wonderful taste, comrade! ;)

irma: the film to which you're referring is "Indecent Proposal". (I remember the title. :D)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Films for me

Best Films

Patriot- done so well, great acting and an exceptional performance by the lead British cavalier officer.

The Castle- top aussie comedy film, if only australian movie makers invested more in local productions:D

Chopper- another top aussie film, had everything, laughs, drama and action. Eric Bana is tip top:cool:

American Pie and American Pie 2- laughs galore, enough said

Air Force One- Gary Oldman is a gun as the Russian Terrorist

Baseketball- Matt Stone and Trey Parker are legends, laughs galore

Crime Story- A hong Kong film, great drama and a surprising performance by Jackie Chan

Mortal Kombat- It might have been corny, but the action was excellent

Jet Li's Hong Kong Films- Each one just as good as the other

Worst Films

Coyote Ugly- utter crap and a load of mishy mushy drool

The Fast and the Furious- Bad acting and no structure, at least a martial arts film has a tiny bit of plot.

The One- It's not Jet Li's fault, just the ppl that made it

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Best
Freeway
Exorcist
Carrie
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Quills
The Breakfast Club
There's Something About Mary

Worst
Eyes Wide Shut
Ishtar
Scream 3
Striptease

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
irma and Franziska, that is such a bad movie! :D - when it first come out there was this joke in Spain, with a rather old, fat, married woman, and they would tell her "a million dollars to sleep with Robert Reford one night" and she answered in a very dreamy voice "oooh, if I had the million dollars! of course I'd pay!" ;) - that's how stupid the argument was :D ;)

timmbo, I loved the exorcist!!! such a funny film!!! :D

My fav:
- Gone with the wind - a TOTAL classic. And with Clark Gable *faint* could he be more handsome? ;) and he's got some good lines too. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" (or something like that! ;))
- Pretty much anything by Hitchcock.
- Moonstruck. So funny and witty. Everything that comes out of Olympia Dukakis mouth is a classic.
- Purple Color.
- Shawshank Redemption.

Worst:
- Batman movies. Why did my younger cousins had to like those films? *moan* I think they damaged my brain, I should sue the producers ;)
- Anything with Michael Douglas in it, 95% chances I won't like it.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brittany Murphy is tops! :)

About The Patriot...the Brit villian is cartoonish and appaling, a bit like the English Villians in films like Bravheart and Rob Roy, as well as pretty much every film in which British/Irish relations are shown.

The Patriot paints us Brits as Villians in American War of Independence in a way that just wasn't so. The way it deal with race is laughable. All based on a myth.

I forgot about Pearl Harbor. Dire!!! The romantic bits demand that you hit the fast forward button. One spectacular scene does not a good movie make.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Yeah it was a realy dumb story

A great movie with Demi Moore was now and then. it was about 4 women who came together again because one of them got a baby and they had promissed to help each other when they were children and during the movie Demi Moore told about their youth together and how things changed and so. I realy liked that movie, I had to cry at the end! :cool:

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
Best
The color purple
Rush Hour
Bad Boys
Shawshank Redemption
Star Wars Trilogy
Die Hard
Dirty Dancing (guilty pleasure seen it a million times ;) )
Grease
Eve's Bayou
The Usual Suspects

Worst...
I am not even going to bother there are so many...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts