182,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
182,399 Posts
came down to differences between Sergey and Krotov

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
From the sounds of it Vera wasn't happy and decided to bring in a 2nd opinion. Sergey didn't like being number 2 and left! It's not Vera's fault his ego is too big! He's not been around since IW and her results have been good, so I hope it doesn't effect her!

As for Krotov all I know is that he played club tennis when he was a boy (at the same club as Vera) but I don't think he ever went pro. I guess he was quite good as he won a 1st division boys title in Moscow and reached the final of the national club championships (he had better doubles results). Maybe Vera knew him when she was younger?

I'm not 100% sure but I think he might have worked with Bryuhovets (Kiri's former coach) and former top 10 doubles player Tatarkova. I might be getting confused there though. :unsure:

Anyone have more info?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I'm not sure it's quite fair to characterize this entirely as a Sergey ego problem. I'm sure that's some of it. But also if you already have a coach, you should consult them before you make changes to the situation. From the full article (and of course we're only getting one side of it), it sounds like:

1. Before Sergey had to go back to Russia after Indian Wells, they discussed her getting a hitting partner for Miami.
2. Instead of a hitting partner, she ended up hiring a new coach when she got to Florida.
3. When Vera got back to Moscow for Fed Cup, she pretty much said, "I'm gonna have two coaches now, that's cool, right?"

Of course it's her prerogative to try to have whoever she wants in her team. But it's not as if it's hard to understand why Sergey would feel slighted, assuming this course of events is accurate. With the two of them working together, she had her most successful year ever, and then all of a sudden she announces that he'll be working part-time in tandem with someone he's never worked with before.

Anyway, she's been fine with coaching switches before and I'm sure she'll be fine now. I'm only sorry that it sounds like it ended poorly. :sad:

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
I've been thinking some more about Krotov and why Sergey and Vera supposedly split. It said somewhere that Vera wanted to bring something new into the training. I think she wants to use her net skills more.

She probably feels she's getting the most she can from her ground game and it's time to work on her other talents. Krotov is a doubles coach she knew when she was younger and so brings him in.

It's only a theory, but it could be a good move from Vera.

·
Registered
34,510 Posts
I'm not sure it's quite fair to characterize this entirely as a Sergey ego problem. I'm sure that's some of it. But also if you already have a coach, you should consult them before you make changes to the situation. From the full article (and of course we're only getting one side of it), it sounds like:

1. Before Sergey had to go back to Russia after Indian Wells, they discussed her getting a hitting partner for Miami.
2. Instead of a hitting partner, she ended up hiring a new coach when she got to Florida.
3. When Vera got back to Moscow for Fed Cup, she pretty much said, "I'm gonna have two coaches now, that's cool, right?"

Of course it's her prerogative to try to have whoever she wants in her team. But it's not as if it's hard to understand why Sergey would feel slighted, assuming this course of events is accurate. With the two of them working together, she had her most successful year ever, and then all of a sudden she announces that he'll be working part-time in tandem with someone he's never worked with before.

Anyway, she's been fine with coaching switches before and I'm sure she'll be fine now. I'm only sorry that it sounds like it ended poorly. :sad:
:sad:

Vera comes off a little as a cold bitch, but then again she is one of the players we get to hear fewest off about their personal lifes.
I don't even know if she has a BF in first place or how the relation with Sergey was...
He makes it sound rather sad and I wonder how Vera really feels about it.
I mean you traveled together with soemone for months... He was an old friend afterall.

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
- Каким видите итог вашей совместной работы?

- Конечная оценка любой работы - результат. А вот каким путем он достигается, уже зависит от многих компонентов. Мы и в техническом плане изменяли ее игру, и в тактике прибавляли. Самый яркий пример - недавняя встреча с Сарой Эррани в рамках Кубка федерации. Мне очень понравилось, как играла Вера. Хотя, конечно, в этом может быть и заслуга Карена, проработавшего с ней к тому времени уже пару недель, но я в этом сильно сомневаюсь. Смотреть на ее игру в том поединке с Эррани было приятно. Звонарева действовала агрессивно, доминировала на корте, неоднократно выходила к сетке. Причем это не был предел возможностей Веры, она может действовать еще лучше.
Sergey wanted her to be more aggressive, I hope that's not what Vera disagreed with. :scared: I don't want her to go back to being a pusher like AO!

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Sergey wanted her to be more aggressive, I hope that's not what Vera disagreed with. :scared: I don't want her to go back to being a pusher like AO!
Frankly, I don't think any of this has anything to do with Sergey's coaching methods. :shrug: The whole thing sounds to me like a failure of communication, followed by Vera wanting Sergey to go along with what she wanted without any consultation, followed by Sergey refusing, followed by both of them refusing to back down. If Vera had wanted him fired, she would have just fired him. It's not like she's never fired a coach before.

"I wanted to add another point of view to my coaching" is not the same thing as "my last coach was doing something I didn't like". And "you should discuss changes with me before you make them" is not the same thing as "my ego is too big to accommodate new team members".

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
Maybe, but he says:

Инициатива привлечь к работе Карена исходила от Веры. Видимо, она решила внести в свою подготовку что-то новое. Но я был с этим не согласен. У меня свое видение ее игры. Ну а когда в команду пришел новый человек, то уже мне не захотелось брать ответственность за его действия. Перетягивание одеяла на себя до добра не доведет. Поэтому я решил отстраниться, так как в первую очередь не хотел навредить Вере.
'It was Vera's idea to hire Karen. Apparently, she wanted to work with him to bring in something different. I [Sergey] didn't agree with that. I have my own view of the game. I didn't want to take responsibility for her new coaches actions or fight for leadership. So I decided to step aside, so as not to hurt Vera.'

Мы и в техническом плане изменяли ее игру, и в тактике прибавляли. Самый яркий пример - недавняя встреча с Сарой Эррани в рамках Кубка федерации. Мне очень понравилось, как играла Вера. Хотя, конечно, в этом может быть и заслуга Карена, проработавшего с ней к тому времени уже пару недель, но я в этом сильно сомневаюсь. Смотреть на ее игру в том поединке с Эррани было приятно. Звонарева действовала агрессивно, доминировала на корте, неоднократно выходила к сетке. Причем это не был предел возможностей Веры, она может действовать еще лучше.
'We [Sergey & Vera] planned to change Vera's game tactically. The most obvious example of this was the recent meeting with Sara Errani in Fed Cup. I really liked how Vera played. Although, of course, this credit for this might be Karen's, who had worked with her for a few weeks at that time, but I strongly doubt it. Watching her play the match against Errani was nice. Zvonareva played aggressively, dominating the court and repeatedly moving into the court. But I don't think even this was her best, he can play ever better.'

It just sounds like he wants her to play aggressive tennis, which I agree with, and that's not the direction he thinks Karen will take.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
It just sounds like he wants her to play aggressive tennis, which I agree with, and that's not the direction he thinks Karen will take.
None of that means that she disagrees with the idea of playing aggressively. Wanting a second opinion does not mean that you think the first opinion is wrong. I speak Russian and I've read all these articles, and none of them sound like a disagreement about coaching methods, unless you count having more than one coach around as a coaching method. They all sound like Vera forgot to tell Coach #1 that she was hiring a Coach #2, and Coach #1 got offended and walked away.

Now, it might be legitimate to worry about how her game might change with a new coach. But nothing either of them have said points to Vera not liking the way Sergey's been coaching her/disagreeing with his game plan. I say again, if she really didn't like what he'd been doing, she just would have fired him. That is not what happened.

Anyway, I think we're talking at cross-purposes. :) You're talking about how Karen might coach her. I'm talking about why the split might have happened. I guess I'm just trying to say I don't really think that it's because she thinks she shouldn't be playing the way Sergey wants her to play.

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
I speak Russian and I've read all these articles.
Sorry, I didn't realise.

I did read somewhere that she wanted to demote him to hitting partner though, I thought that was significant.

I'm not arguing with you, just discussing. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. If she wins RG, playing aggressive tennis, I will admit I'm wrong. :p

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I did read somewhere that she wanted to demote him to hitting partner though, I thought that was significant.
He said in his interview that he felt like she wanted him to work with her at Fed Cup more as a hitting partner, and control of the coaching team had already been passed to Karen. That might be true, or it might just be how he was feeling after having "surprise! I brought a new coach home from Miami!" dropped on him. She had said beforehand that she thought they could take turns travelling with her :)lol: Vera, that's the kind of thing you should discuss with both parties involved). So to me, it's kind of impossible to tell what the power structure actually would have been like. Sergey stepped out before it could get that far.

In any case, all we can do is wait and see... :)

·
PharMaria Co. CFO
14,207 Posts
- you don't need hire a full time coach just to "add another point of view".
- possible Vera only saw him as a friend, while Sergey possibly has further/serious coaching ambitions.
- big changes when a player is almost 27... success is doubtful. But i didn't read in anything factual in the interviews, so, we'll see.
- she is silly. :p

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Already posted this in the Live Score thread, but seriously, does Vera already have another new coach?? Saw a new guy in the players box in her match at Wimbledon today and one of the commentators said she's now working with Alexey Ageev... so is she already through with Karen Krotov or what?

21 - 40 of 98 Posts