Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason these 3 players are confusing me just a little nit. I know them , i know know how they look and how they play but I always catch myself doing a split second pause before any event involving any of these 3 players. Doesnt helps they are somewhat same height and they kinda look the same give or take

Right now Bencic is playing and I caught my stupid brain thinking: wait a minute Mertens-Bertens is already out of the tournament

I swear to god I never had anything remotely similar with any player in any sport but this happened and I find it a tad funny

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Well, they all lost, performing well below expectations, so now you ain’t gotta worry about it for at least another few weeks :shrug:

·
Registered
115,538 Posts
They all seem different to me
Bertens is older and obviuosly had talent but mentally wasnt there
Bencic looked like a teen phenom and got injured
Mertens is a good player who is slowly moving up in her career, a lot more in a traditional way
The Bertens/Mertens name similarity is interesting, but they are different by far as players

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have something similar with players from Spain and other Spanish speaking countries.

With the exception of Muguruza, all these 'Spanish' players are basically one and the same person to me. (Exaggeration of course, but you know what I mean...)

·
Banned
119 Posts
How can you be confused? Mertens has a Belgian name actually, Bertens is the older female from the Netherlands much more talented and not with such an unidimensional game. And Bencic is a very talented youngster of Switzlerland, she is of Slovak origin.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I get confused with Grammatikopoulou and Andrianjafitrimo :scratch:
Tessah has one of the famous "difficult names" here on TF.
However I wonder how many "weirdos", like me, don't find it that impenetrable?

It's long but the syllable structure is quite transparent.
The first part is like "Adrian" but with an extra 'n' then 'ja-fit-rimo' follows.
I feel like Pavlyuchenkova would be more difficult to parse, for the uninitiated average English speaker anyway.

Anyway, wrt to the topic, I think there was a short period long ago when I sometimes confused Babos and Bacsinszky.
It could have something to do with the fact that they're both Timea and both have T.B initials.

·
Registered
908 Posts
This happens to me with Bouzkova and Smitkova.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Zavatska/Zarycka
Kalinskaya/Kamenskaya

Confuses me all the time

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Kudermetova, Kalinskaya and Vikhlyantseva for me.
And also Hibino, Doi and Nara. I have no problem to differ Chinese girls, but Japanese girls are another level haha.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I mean I get this with all these Czech/Slovak girls (I forgot who Muchova, Kudermetova, Kuzmova is like 10 times the last 3 days), same with all the random Spanish and Japanese players. But Bencic, Bertens and Mertens, really?

Bencic is special for me because I know I was in Europe when she played Bouchard in Rogers Cup 2015 (?), and I stayed up all night for it. Also I "supported" her for some time, but it creeps me out she's with her 38 yo fitness coach.

I know Mertens became relevant when she bageled Bouchard as a WC in Hertogenbosch I think, when she was ranked ~150. Also she's kinda annoying.

Bertens made a random SF in RG in 2016 (?), and is a solid, unique player since then, winning even P5s.

I really can't see where this comes from, also I don't see where they look "similar"...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts