Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Believe': Fantasia Knocks Usher from No. 1

Sat Jul 3, 9:38 AM ET
Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Silvio Pietroluongo, Minal Patel, Wade Jessen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - "American Idol" third-season winner Fantasia enters the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 1 with "I Believe," thanks to impressive opening-week retail sales.

Reuters Photo

"Believe" scans 142,000 units, interrupting Usher's 19-week stranglehold at No. 1.

On the radio side, "Believe" doubles its detections while increasing its audience total to 2.7 million listener impressions, mostly from R&B outlets.

Since the Hot 100 was revamped in December 1998 to include all radio formats, no title reached No. 1 with a radio audience as low as that of "Believe." Fellow "Idol" alumnus Clay Aiken (news) had the previous low-water mark when "This Is the Night" debuted at No. 1 the week of June 28, 2003, with 9 million impressions.

Only "Idol" singles have topped the 100,000 mark at retail since 2002 began. While "Believe" falls shy of debut weeks by fellow finalists Aiken, Ruben Studdard (news) and Kelly Clarkson (news), Fantasia's total still impresses, considering the evaporation of the retail singles market.

Next week, third-season runner-up Diana DeGarmo will chart "Dreams," which is expected to scan north of 50,000 units.

CONSOLATION PRIZES

Although Fantasia bumps Usher out of the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100, her sales total for "I Believe" does not register as highly at R&B core stores, translating to a move of 99-12 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks.

This gives Usher's "Confessions Part II" the opportunity to sneak into No. 1 on that chart despite a loss in audience. In a tight race, "Part II" dips by 1.4 million impressions, slightly less than the 2.7 million decrease by last week's No. 1, Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You."

Meanwhile, almost three months after its radio peak, Usher's "Yeah!" hits the top of Hot Digital Tracks with a single-week record of 27,000 paid downloads in its first full week of availability.

"Yeah!" first hit the chart the week of April 10, debuting at No. 15 with 4,000 downloads in an abbreviated week of release. Initially included as part of the "Confessions" album bundle, the track had to be pulled because of clearance issues. With all legalities settled, "Yeah!" returned to digital sites in the middle of the previous tracking week and re-entered Hot Digital Tracks at No. 16 with 5,000 paid downloads.

HALFWAY HOUSE

Although the top 10 on Hot Country Singles & Tracks has seen only one new artist's debut single so far this year, the one title that did crack that part of the chart has had more impact than the three that did so during the first six months of 2003.

Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman" is this year's success story, having spent five weeks at No. 1 and spurring sales of 885,000 copies of her debut album, "Here for the Party," according to Nielsen SoundScan.

During the first half of 2003, debuts by Jimmy Wayne, Jeff Bates and Aaron Lines cracked the top 10, but none rose higher than No. 4. Wilson's impact becomes more staggering in light of the fact that combined sales of those three men's albums to date total about 460,000.

Meanwhile, David Lee Murphy's "Loco" rises 6-5 and is the first independently distributed single (Koch) to enter that part of the chart in almost three years. The last such single to appear in the top five was David Ball's "Riding With Private Malone" on Dualtone in November 2001.

RAPTUROUS RETURN

Nearly 10 years after her last chart appearance, Anita Baker returns to Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks as the Hot Shot Debut at No. 55 with "You're My Everything."

Baker, who went into musical seclusion to manage family matters, releases her long-awaited Blue Note/Virgin album, "My Everything," Sept. 7. She is the latest in a line of veteran R&B acts making comebacks this year, among them Teena Marie, Patti LaBelle, New Edition and Prince.

Reuters/Billboard

·
35,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's a shame what the record industry has done to the singles market. I can only hope that eventually they will bost single sales online. I know they are doing it more but the big hits aren't available soon enough. :rolleyes:

I'm proud of my girl Fantasia, that single isn't exactly things that pop radio are made of and then they changed it so it wasn't gospel either. :shrug:

·
35,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jbone_0307 said:
I cant believe that. I couldn't stand her raspy sounding voice. When is LaToya Londons single coming out?
believe it! :hehehe:

:woohoo:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts