Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRUSSELS, Sept 15 (Reuters) - Belgium's hopes of winning the Fed Cup suffered a serious blow on Monday after French and U.S. Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne pulled out of the November competition with a back injury.

The world number two told a news conference: "A little bit of rest is necessary."

"It's disappointing for everyone," she said. "I like to play for my country, it's a disappointment for the federation and for my fans."

Although she said the injury was not serious, Henin-Hardenne said she wanted to ensure she would be 100 percent fit for next season.

Her compatriot, world number one Kim Clijsters, has already hinted she might not take part in the women's team event after the International Tennis Federation decided to award the semi-final and final to Moscow.

Russia was chosen to host the competition over the three other semi-finalists: Belgium, United States and France.

Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne had been expected to spearhead the Belgian challenge in the event, starting on November 19 at the 12,000-seat Olympic Stadium in Moscow.

Hot on the heels of her second grand slam victory at the U.S. Open, Henin-Hardenne said she aimed to win more titles and hit the number one spot.

"I am someone who is very ambitious," she said. "I want to win other grand slams. I want to be number one," she said.

· Premium Member
172,297 Posts
How do you get injured two months in advance ??

why doesn't she just say she doesn't wanna play.
end of story.

· Registered
370 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
How do you get injured two months in advance ??

why doesn't she just say she doesn't wanna play.
end of story.
She' s been having problems with her back since april. That's the reason why she doesn't want to play too many tournaments and to get some rest in between the tourneys.

· Registered
877 Posts
Knizzle said:
So does this mean she will be out for the rest of the year or that after the WTA Champs she wants to rest her back??
Nope, Justine will play Leipzig (reservedly), Zürich, Filderstadt and the Masters.

It's possible that she will withdraw from Leipzig. This depends on a new examination next week.

· ***** Emeritus
45,161 Posts
Eggy, it's not really an injury that prohibits her to play, it's more that she doesn't want to jeopardise next season. And as a result she skips the least important part of her season ;)

· Registered
47,657 Posts
See, it ain´t just the williamses... Fed Cup just ain´t worth it for the players.

· Adrenaline junkie
24,904 Posts
bandabou said:
See, it ain´t just the williamses... Fed Cup just ain´t worth it for the players.
Only for those who don't care about playing for their countries. Seles never refused to play. Davenport always plays. Mauresmo always plays. Martinez always plays. Henin doesn't play? It is her loss.

· Read Only
15,328 Posts
Its all about this, folks: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If your fave plays one tie and not the next, its usually because their national association cant afford to, or wont, pay them what they ask to appear. That is the real story behind 90% of the top players who are reluctant to commit. Of course they trot out tales such as 'I want to rest', or 'I didnt agree with it being staged in Moscow', or whatever. But at the end of the day its all about cash.

· Banned
596 Posts
Infiniti2001 said:
"I am someone who is very ambitious," she said. "I want to win other grand slams. I want to be number one," she said.
what does this have to do with Fed Cup :rolleyes:
and why am i sensing catfights ;)

anyways, if you dont wanna play, that's fine,
no need to lie about the injuries that wont happen
till 60 days laters.....just say "screw you Belgium,
i'm skipping Fed Cup coz i wanna go partying :rolleyes: "
and she wonders why no-one likes her...
and this is from an anti-Williams.

· Registered
3,029 Posts
Monsters said:
what does this have to do with Fed Cup :rolleyes:
and why am i sensing catfights ;)

anyways, if you dont wanna play, that's fine,
no need to lie about the injuries that wont happen
till 60 days laters.....just say "screw you Belgium,
i'm skipping Fed Cup coz i wanna go partying :rolleyes: "
and she wonders why no-one likes her...
and this is from an anti-Williams.
I get it! :) This is one of those "how many errors can you find?" puzzles, isn't it?

Ok, I'll play:

1) It was in response to a question, not something off the top of her head. It was a press conference, and not just about FedCup.
2) We Justine fans have known about her ailing back for some time. :rolleyes:
3) Justine does want to play. She's always enjoyed playing Fed Cup. And again I say :rolleyes:
4) Justine is not a partier, at least not in the JCap/Iva dance-in-your-undies sense! ;)
5) She wonders why no one likes her? In which interview did she voice this question? And people DO like her, so this statement is inherently erroneous.

Did I get 'em all? :confused:

Reactions: fleemke³

· Banned
1 Posts
Justlyin Lyin Again

This is just further proof, you cannot believe her for a second. She has no back problems unless they are convenient for her to call a med-timeout or to get out of the publicity limelight, because it is so bad right now. If she plays any tourneys now she will further ruin her reputation especially in Europe, where it has always been suspect. She deserves whatever she gets for her bad sportsmanship and lying and cheating at the French Open!!!

· Registered
5,303 Posts
The double standards are back, its amazing. :rolleyes: Didn't Venus and Serena get harassed for pulling out of tournaments ahead of time. Why isn't Justine as honest as Kim was when she didn't want top play last year and say it was due to her wanted to concentrate on singles and defend her points. Why fake an injury. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.