Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By STEPHEN WADE<br />AP Sports Writer

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters won their singles matches Friday and then Belgium completed a Fed Cup sweep of Australia with Els Callens and Clijsters winning in doubles.

Henin defeated Australia's Rachel McQuillan 7-5, 6-0 and Clijsters beat Alicia Molik 6-3, 6-3 before the doubles teams of Callens and Clijsters downed Molik and McQuillan 6-4, 6-2.

Belgium, favored to win the Fed Cup in the absence of the United States, won its first tie on Wednesday 3-0 against Germany in Pool B.

The victory over Australia put Belgium in a perfect spot to qualify for Sunday's final against the winner from Pool A. Russia and France are the favorites there and played each other later Friday. In the other late Pool A tie, the Czechs faced Argentina.

Belgium plays Spain Saturday in their final pool match with a place at stake in the final.

``It's nice to have an easy match, but it's not finished yet. We have to win one more match,'' Henin said. ``We are at the door of the finals.''

``At first I could not find my rhythm and everything was so slow. Once I hit it, from then on the match was over.''

Henin complained about No. 2 court, which is a more intimate setting than the 4,500-seat center court.

``The court is not so good,'' she said. ``The center court is better. I was sliding a lot and it's difficult to play on this court.''

Five-time Fed Cup champion Spain suffered a shocking loss Friday in its first singles match as German teen-ager Martina Muller upset veteran Conchita Martinez 6-1, 7-5. Spain's Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario rallied to beat Barbara Rittner 7-5, 6-3 in the second singles, leaving the match to be decided by the doubles.

Sanchez-Vacario is now 14-0 against Rittner, which includes seven wins on clay.

Spain won its first tie on Wednesday 3-0 over Australia. Germany, invited at the last minute after the Americans dropped out, has been a major surprise.

``They phoned us at and said the Americans would not play,'' said Muller, 19. ``Our captain asked me if I wanted to and and I said: `Sure'.''

Muller lost to Martinez earlier this year on clay in Berlin. Her best result this season was reaching the quarterfinals on clay in July in a tournament in Basel, Switzerland.

``I know I can play well on clay,'' said Muller, who screamed ``vamos'' -- let's go in Spanish -- after several key points. ``I don't speak Spanish, it just came from the heart.''

``I know that Conchita also likes to play on clay, but today I won.''

Martinez, who hasn't played a tournament since Wimbledon because of an injured ankle, began to practice only three weeks ago.

``I'm realistic, I'm not in my best shape,'' said the former Wimbledon champion. ``I was practicing well the last three weeks, but practice is not the same as playing.''

Martinez did not sound hopeful about her match Saturday against Henin.

``It doesn't look too promising,'' she said.

About 3,000 people attended early play Friday -- by far the best attendance so far as the Spanish capital begins a three-day weekend.

Crowds on the first two days of the five-day event have been scant, leaving the 6,000-seat venue mostly empty. The withdrawal of the two-time defending champion United States -- it has five players in the world top 10 -- with security worries has hurt.

The Fed Cup is also struggling to find a niche. Next season it returns to a four-team field for the final week -- the fifth format change in five years. Officials hope this change will stick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts