Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone here thought about the Belgian juniors and how good they could potentially be. Since becoming a fan of Kim I have followed Belgian tennis quite closely even though it is hard to find information on most of the players as it is either all in dutch or french, and that is the little bit of info available on them. But in the last few years I have noticed the number of profiles on juniortennis.com has increased significantly just last year it was really only Elke, Kirsten and steve Darcis, Feys. Now there are about 25 or so profiles there.

Well anyway I know a fair bit about Elke, and she has gotten her oduble rank down to 281 and her isngles rank into the top 500 so she seems to be going in the right direction. But I have never seen her play, so was wondering if anyone who has could tell me anything about her game? And also her potential.

I also know a fair bit about Kirsten, who I think is still playing juniors as she is in Salsamorgie. But she seems to be playing a challenger every now and then, and with only a few challengers played she has already got 2 10K titles, and her rankings are quite good. So what do you all think of her game?

And also does anyone have any info on
Steve Darcis, has he stopped juniors?
Ine Nowe
Fien Maes
Alex Platevoet- Is he training at Bolliteri, as it says on junortennis.com his coach is from there?
Cecile Baijot-She is the same age as Elke, so I'm assuming she isn't a junior anymore? But does anyone know anything about her?
Shana Claes-
Niels Dessen-
Robbert Lathouwers- He is also the same age as Elke, so he is 18, so I'm not sure if he is still a junior or not?
Julie Stas-
Caroline Bailly-
Desiree Bastianon-
Stephanie Delaet-
Ornela Gentile-
Aude Vermoezen- I've heard a lor about his girl!! BUt what does everyon really think of ehr game and her potential?
Frederic Defays- number 1 Belgian under 14?
Mario Dierckx-
Dennis Mertens-Born in 1984 so I'm guessing he isn't a junior anymore, it also says on juniortennis.com that he is coached by Marc Dehous, now I;m just assuming he isn't anymore ;)
Jeremy Swyngedouw-
Cedric Roelant-
Nicolas Zogay-
Claudia Smolders-
Jennifer Debodt-
Laila Ben Abderrahmen-
Germain Gigounon-

Also does anyone know if they are Flemish or Wallonian? And as well wasn't Emile Bacquet Belgian??

Reactions: Brαm

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
Most of the names seem to be Flemish - I think Bailly and Debodt are Walloons though. I have seen Elke play and she is certainly better at doubles than singles. She won't be as good as Kim I'm afraid to say. Kirsten I have seen play also but only one match. She looks to have lots of potential, but I think next year we'll know more if she starts playing on the senior tour full time! (This is her last year of juniors).

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
I have no idea who will be the next best thing. My bet is on Steve Darcis but we will just have to wait and see :)

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Great post!! :D
Here's what I know:

Steve Darcis: was top-10 in juniors, should be in the top-100 in a few years, I think
Ine Nowe: she's only 12 right?
Cecile Baijot- She's Walloon and 17 I think. She's still playing juniors, but she's not really a hot prospect. Often plays doubles with Bailly :)
Shana Claes- plays juniors, has had some decent results
Niels Dessein- one of our best youngsters, I've read somewhere...
Caroline Bailly- Walloon, don't really know if she's talented
Desiree Bastianon-thin, tall & powerful - talented too :)
Stephanie Delaet- Has played some ITFs I think
Aude Vermoezen- see thread ;)
Frederic Defays- big talent, under 14
Claudia Smolders-has played some grade 5's, good results there
Jennifer Debodt- prefers quantity over quality :eek:

Oh and don't bring up the Bacquet subject :fiery: If you go to search and look for a thread on "bacquet" in the BBB, you'll see why ;) The traitor :fiery:

If you want to find out more, ask me :)

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
caseyl45 said:
What about Justine Bourdon? I've heard the name, but it seems like very little has been written about her.
Yes, she's 14, and she seemed to be talented!

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
I only heard about Bourdon on this board because of Axel, so I don't have any idea what she's worth

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The only one I know in that list is Désrirée Bastianon. Last year she was in a class I was teaching and I had no idea she was one of the better junior tennis players. She just told me during the lesson that she was playing tennis. Last week I had a temporary job as a secretary in the school where she's going in Diest and I had to fill out papers for her because of her absence during some tourneys she played :)
She's indeed a really thin girl but still very young, I believe she was one of the ballgirls during Fed Cup in Bree.
I hope she can do very well, but she still has quite a way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts