Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van Aken Slams American 'Excuse' <br /> <br />Belgium captain Ivo van Aken has accused the United States team of using the September 11 terrorist attacks as an excuse to pull out of the Fed Cup.

Van Aken believes the withdrawal of the American team was due to their dislike of the clay court surface used for the tournament rather than fears of further terrorist incidents.

Van Aken claimed: "The Americans aren't here because they didn't want to play on a clay court after the Masters in Munich.

"They have an excuse not to come here following September 11, but everybody knows that they don't want to make the change from fast courts for just one competition."

Last month the United States Tennis Association (USTA) pulled their players out of this week's eight-team finals in Madrid because "the recent terrorist acts made it inadvisable for elite American athletes to compete abroad as a team."

The United States won last year's event when Lindsay Davenport, Jennifer Capriati, Monica Seles and Lisa Raymond overpowered Spain in Las Vegas for a record 17th championship.

Belgium, the new pre-tournament favourites, beat Germany today after Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin won their singles rubbers.

<br />****<br />Personal Commentary<br />****

I personally don't feel this as an 'excuse'. And for the fact that the US players don't wanna play on clay??? I really don't think that's correct --

Jennifer Capriati - French Open Champion

Monica Seles - 3 times French Open Champion, arguably the best clay courter ever

Williams Sisters - capable of beating anyone/anywhere/anytime/any surface

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
see thread of wongqks.

This topic is already posted...

Personally I think he's right. They don't have any excuse for not playing in Fed Cup. If they can play in Germany (Davenport, Serena, Capriati) and in Asia (Seles) then I think it's clear they just don't want to play Fed Cup...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts