Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering in Belgium is supporting either Henin or Clijsters in head to heads as simple as whether you are Wallonian or Flemish? i.e. Flems support Clijsters and Wallonians Henin. Does this make for a lot of rivalry?

Also does Henin speak Flemish, cos i know Clijsters speaks French?

· Registered
3,029 Posts
Johno_uk said:
I was just wondering in Belgium is supporting either Henin or Clijsters in head to heads as simple as whether you are Wallonian or Flemish? i.e. Flems support Clijsters and Wallonians Henin. Does this make for a lot of rivalry?

Also does Henin speak Flemish, cos i know Clijsters speaks French?
No.

Everyone supports Justine, and NO one supports Kim! :eek: ;)

· Miss Verstand
14,936 Posts
ive never heard justine utter one word of flemish :confused:

· Registered
11,975 Posts
I'm Walloon and i support Kim

· Registered
30,738 Posts
The press is taking sides according to the region, the people aren't.

And Justine doesn't speak Flemish! When she plays in Rosmalen, she never speaks Dutch in her speech, she says she can't. And saying two words doesn't mean you speak the language. Justine has said herself that she doesn't speak Dutch.

Kim speaks a bit of French, but not very fluent.

· Mean Admin Machine, Admeanistrator
31,158 Posts
kim not speaking fluent? wow i gotta hear that, it could very well be the only time i actually understand her ;)

· Registered
47,657 Posts
carot said:
kim not speaking fluent? wow i gotta hear that, it could very well be the only time i actually understand her ;)

:haha: :haha: You too?! No wonder she isn´t attractive for sponsor... no one understands what she´s talking about!

· Registered
13,564 Posts
Tine Justine does speak Flemish! She did it in Rosmalen and in Zaventem. She's affraid to do it in public but the people arround her are trying to convince her to do so (I heard from reliable source). she's asked for a Flemisch Televisionprogram and if she participate in it she might speak Dutch.

Some persons who work with her on her site even say that she speaks Dutch with Kim :p

· Registered
7,880 Posts
Joana said:
So Walloon people don't speak Flemish, and Flemish people don't speak French? I really think that's stupid.

lets try to stop helping the Press in making this Justine-Kim rivalry into a Walloon-Fleming one...(btw, just ask anyone of the Belgians on the board, all students get educated in both languages as well as others)

The next thing you know, we'll be saying how Anglo Canadians will cheer against Melanie Marois because she's Quebecois :lol:

All countries ought to be divided in terms of tennis players :p

· Registered
7,943 Posts
Everyone supports Justine, and NO one supports Kim!
:yawn:

Well then my friends mustn't be Belgian as they support Kim :)

I don't see why so many people want to compare the two and play them off against each other, and claim one is more popular than the other or whatever, why Belgium can't just sit back and enjoy the acheivements of both of them I do not understand. Ten years ago Belgium would have jumped at the opportunity to have a player make two GS singles finals and win 2 doubles GS's but now instead people are writing into magazines and newspapers with stupid catty comments. Other countries would love to have two such fantastic players.

About the language thing, I don't know if Henin speaks Flemish, but when Kim was asked what language she spoke with Henin at AO this year she said French. I read Henin didn't speak Flemish, that may not be true I don't know.

So Walloon people don't speak Flemish, and Flemish people don't speak French? I really think that's stupid.
No Flemish people do speak French. Someone told me it was compulsory in the flemish school system to learn French, and Kim is Flemish and she speaks Fluent French.

Does the Wallonian shcool system make Flemish a compulsory subject? I think it should be :)

· Registered
30,738 Posts
In Flemish schools, French is compulsory, as is English (but we start learning French first).

In Walloon schools, they have to choose between Dutch or English, so quite a few of them choose English and don't speak a word of Dutch.

When a Fleming and a Walloon meet, they usually converse in French. That's the sad truth.

Fleemke, Justine appeared in a Flemish TV show and spoke only French. But you could be right that maybe she doesn't feel comfortable enough speaking Dutch. But if she never tries, she'll never learn.

And for the record, Belgians are very proud of both girls. It's the media that's trying to set them off against eachother because drama sells, and I'm afraid too many people are falling for it (at least, quite a few have on these boards).

· Registered
7,943 Posts
And for the record, Belgians are very proud of both girls. It's the media that's trying to set them off against eachother because drama sells, and I'm afraid too many people are falling for it (at least, quite a few have on these boards).
I'm sure a lot of Belgians are. But I have many friends who live in Belgium and the translations of articles and letters that have been written in to newspapers and magazines is disgusting. Articles have been bashing Kim and she has had a fantastic year, the media need to sit back and look at what she has done and realise that if she was around 10 years ago they wouldn't be writing what they are writing. You may be corrcet that the media started it and many people took the bait. Perhaps that is why many people have written letters like they have.

thanks for the info about the school systems, still think Felmish should be a compulsory subject in Wallonia :p

Henin couldn't speak Dutch a couple of years ago as she said she couldn't, so if she can talk is she must have learnt it over the last few years. But you'd think she'd want to talk it with Kim for practice and to gain confidence so she could speak it on tv and interviews.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.