Her shambolic mix of aggressive and defensive moves gave me YEC vibes :hearts:

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Elina :yeah: :D

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
That was actually a great handshake, it wasn't much, but a look of respect from both players. Loved it.

Kenin needs a break, a little mental exhaustion and a few too many errors. What a great match, Elina showed her top 5 metal in this match.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
:bounce: :bounce: :hearts:

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I don't think Elina was close to her best but she did a good job nonetheless. Very solid.

I love both Kenin and Svitolina. Jeez! Svitolina should have never allowed Kenin into the match, once she got match point she just waited for Kenin to throw a mistake, Kenin stayed solid and took the tiebreaker.

Disappointed for Kenin but happy for Elina. Love them both. :hug:

Reactions: Kurmay3Katti

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Did we just witness Elina Svitolina play aggressive tennis :eek:

Serving first in the third set proved to be key, Elina was awesome on serve, all the pressure was on Sofia to stay with her but she seemed to run out of steam in the middle of the set.

A fairly impressive performance from Elina, I haven't said that very often :lol:

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Let me do a voodoo prayer so that she can somehow come against Bertens as a winner.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Without any doubt this match gets to the top 3 of Svitolina's career - so clutch all the way through and look at those numbers - she's beaten a gun like Kenin with her own weapon.
More winners for Svitolina. 48 (!) Wow.
Ferocious serving with record breaking aces score and overall resolute performance.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Superb fight from both players but Svitolina getting the all important break in the final set. I could have sworn I felt we were headed to a another dogfight of a TB in the end the way both of them kept holding their serves.

Sofia Kenin is one tenacious player. Respect! :worship:

Reactions: amyd_1989

·
Registered
572 Posts
I only saw the tail end of the second and the third set but it looked like a great match, and those winner totals were extremely surprising. Svitolina surpasses Serena in the race now to take her Shenzhen destiny into her own hands, and she keeps up the pressure on Bencic and Bertens to overtake her. A win against Bertens would surely guarantee her spot at Shenzhen, but a loss for Bertens will likely kill her hopes of making it, so that match is going to be extremely tense.

Elina's mental strength is extremely impressive. Two hard court losses to Kenin in the last couple of months and she finally solves the puzzle, despite a massive blow in the second set tiebreak, when her life is on the line. Somehow I'm not even surprised.

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
Messy at times (and I swear the match felt longer than it was!), but a very high quality second set. E's serving especially in the first set was very strong.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
That should be Svitolina pretty much qualified now then, assuming Bencic doesn't play in Luxembourg/Moscow.

Belinda didn't finish in the top 20 last year, doesn't have a PM title / slam or a former number 1, but how does the top 10 thing work in terms of the Top 20 WC criteria?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
What a match: 48 winners for Svitolina :worship: 42 winners for Kenin :hug: :cheer:

Reactions: Kurmay3Katti

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Messy at times (and I swear the match felt longer than it was!), but a very high quality second set. E's serving especially in the first set was very strong.
Yes, the serving was fantastic. However, in the tiebreak, her first serve deserted her.

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
That should be Svitolina pretty much qualified now then, assuming Bencic doesn't play in Luxembourg/Moscow.

Belinda didn't finish in the top 20 last year, doesn't have a PM title / slam or a former number 1, but how does the top 10 thing work in terms of the Top 20 WC criteria?
Yes, Svitolina is now ahead of Serena in the race ensuring that if Serena makes the last minute decision to play Beijing, it won't affect her unless they reward Serena a WC (which is a possibility)

The pressure is on Bertens and Bencic now. Even if Bertens wins tomorrow over Svitolina, she won't take over in the race. But hopefully my voodoo prayer will be answered and Svitolina will recover from tonight and come out swinging against Bertens.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Yess, revenge is sweet for Elina! :cheer: With this she has probably locked up her spot in Shenzhen.

Fantastic match from these two ladies, not surprising because they are some of the biggest fighters in the tour! One of Elina's best matches this year, showing why she is a top player :) Could have maybe finished this in two, but a win is a win. The winners total is very shocking from Elina I must say :eek: It's been a while since she's been this aggressive.

Svitolina vs Bertens should be a fun QF!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
If Osaka loses to Riske and if Svitolina makes the final, she will overtake Osaka in the race. That would be pretty cool.

And if she wins, she will even take over Kvitova.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Kenin was only 1 of 9 on break points, while Svit was 3 for 6.
Svit also hit 13 aces!!!
Kenin missed to many easy mid court shots by going for too much.
In a years time, 20 y/o Kenin will dominate Svit.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts