Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kiki is still in fight for the Shenzhen spot. Svitolina or Kenin next. Kiki - 3695 pts, Belinda (lost today) - 3705. 10 points difference!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,091 Posts
Kiki survives another day. Scrappy, but very very important.

I expect a QF vs. Elina now. Which is crucial for Singapore. I don't care how, but she needs to win that one. Give everything she has.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
The match was quite low quality in the first two sets but Bertens picked up her form towards the end.

Polona :hug: Wow, the number of chances Hercog had the to bag the first set and threw them all away. :wavey: She was given the opportunities to win today, but she didn't take her chances and choked them away which has been a major issue for her in her career. Maybe somewhere down the line she'll mentally get it together and have a good year, maybe not. Despite her current state, her opponent Kiki is an example of a player who improved her mental game and finally stopped underachieving in her career. Hercog definitely has the weapons to do so!

Bertens needs to win one or two matches more to get into Shenzhen. Good on her for reaching the QF here. :yeah:

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Not the most convincing match, but she did pick up her level in that 3rd set and finally got some depth and height on her strokes (which were landing so short earlier on). :) Glad she's still in the hunt. A win next would be great for her confidence.

Whoever she plays next, she should be able to get closer to the baseline and try to dictate more (as neither girl possess the power of Hercog). If it's Svitolina, she generally plays a bit better against the higher ranked names.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Another razor tight loss for Hercog. She's clearly progressing, though. She has recovered from her embarrassing Wimbledon choke to Gauff fairly well.
She has recovered to her best - in her beloved choking I guess :eek:h:

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
Kiki survives another day. Scrappy, but very very important.

I expect a QF vs. Elina now. Which is crucial for Singapore. I don't care how, but she needs to win that one. Give everything she has.

I hope she takes that flight to Shenzhen not Singapore.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bertens does not deserve to be a top 8 YEC Player. She sucked at slams this year(and through her career) and has always had horrible results in big tournaments.
She is the least accomplished former top 4 Player ever, and the most boring/uninspiring player to ever reach the top 5.
I hope belinda, Svitolina and Serena take her out. She belongs in Zuhahi.
I really have nothing nice to say about her as a player, sorry.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bertens does not deserve to be a top 8 YEC Player. She sucked at slams this year(and through her career) and has always had horrible results in big tournaments.
She is the least accomplished former top 4 Player ever, and the most boring/uninspiring player to ever reach the top 5.
Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but, if you have (as you admit) nothing nice to say, it is maybe best to not say anything at all. And the section in bold is simply not true, she won Madrid this year.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
If she earns enough points, she's "deserving" of a spot. Simple as that.
NEXT

·
Registered
296 Posts
Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but, if you have (as you admit) nothing nice to say, it is maybe best to not say anything at all. And the section in bold is simply not true, she won Madrid this year.
Insert Serena quote :" Well she won Madrid!".
Winning Madrid + another Madrid final at mandatory events, and another final at Cincinnati at p5 level IS horrible for a top 5 Player who is also 28 years old.

She just is not on the level of former top 4 players in terms of accomplishments.
1 career SF at slams, 1 lone premiere mandatory, 1 p5 trophy...she is simply bad on every level, when you look at the results on paper.

I'm Sorry I have nothing nice to say because usually, I always try to find a positive thing even in criticizing a Player.
I can say something nice about Genie, who might be one of the least accomplished top 5 players, but she at least had a Wimbledon Final and two slams sf on her resume.

Bertens simply is not deserving a top 5 spot at any rate, she is the queen vulture of a weak era, but she is so unrelevant that nobody (except me) even cares to call her out as the vulture she has been.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bertens is a great big tournament player until you get to slams. Obviously, that's a huge flaw for her, but it's not like she has all of her points from internationals and premiers - she's got a tour final semi (inches away from a final) and a premier mandatory win on her ranking at the moment. She's won a lot of matches against top 10 players in the last two years, too. Just because she's struggled since her illness at Roland Garros doesn't mean that all of her achievements don't exist anymore.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Winning Madrid + another Madrid final at mandatory events, and another final at Cincinnati at p5 level IS horrible for a top 5 Player who is also 28 years old.

She just is not on the level of former top 4 players in terms of accomplishments.
1 career SF at slams, 1 lone premiere mandatory/p5 trophy...
she is simply bad on every level, when you look at the results on paper.

I'm Sorry I have nothing nice to say because usually, I always try to find a positive thing even in criticizing a Player.
I can say something nice about Genie, who might be one of the least accomplished top 5 players, but she at least had a Wimbledon Final and two slams sf on her resume.

Bertens simply is not deserving a top 5 spot at any rate, she is the queen vulture of a weak era, but she is so unrelevant that nobody (except me) even cares to call her out as the vulture she has been.
Garcia? Konta? And she won Cincinnati. And that false heroism ('at least I say what no-one dares to say'). Please!

You cannot even get her age right.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Garcia? Konta? And she won Cincinnati. And that false heroism ('at least I say what no-one dares to say'). Please!

You cannot even get her age right.
Check your facts before you come from me. She will be 28 in two months in december, where is the lie?
About Konta, she won Miami, Has finals at beijing, three slams sf and 4 other quarter finals.
There is really no competition.
with Garcia it might be a tie for who is the worst, but at least Garcia has 2 back to back- premiere mandatory - premiere 5 to make up for the slam SF she is lacking, and winning the asian double is kind of an historic feat in itself, which arguably makes her more accomplished than Bertens.

·
Registered
544 Posts
All this says is that Bertens is a late bloomer, which she is. You can't call the ranking of someone who becomes a top 5 player at 27 invalid because they weren't winning big tournaments when they were a journeywoman a few years back. When Bertens was top 5, she had a PM win, a P5 win, a tour final SF and a grand slam QF on her record. You'd like better slam results, but it's otherwise a very fine record for a top 5 player, especially one who was denied the ability to play in their favourite slam when they were in their peak form.

Bertens was one of the very best players on tour when she entered the top 5 and the ranking was entirely justified. The fact that she was a mediocre player before she hit that level of quality does nothing to contradict that. If she doesn't achieve anything else of note before she retires, we can all talk about how weird it was that she was randomly a top player for a year, but the fact at the core of that is that Kiki Bertens was a top player for a year.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
All this says is that Bertens is a late bloomer, which she is. You can't call the ranking of someone who becomes a top 5 player at 27 invalid because they weren't winning big tournaments when they were a journeywoman a few years back. When Bertens was top 5, she had a PM win, a P5 win, a tour final SF and a grand slam QF on her record. You'd like better slam results, but it's otherwise a very fine record for a top 5 player, especially one who was denied the ability to play in their favourite slam when they were in their peak form.

Bertens was one of the very best players on tour when she entered the top 5 and the ranking was entirely justified. The fact that she was a mediocre player before she hit that level of quality does nothing to contradict that. If she doesn't achieve anything else of note before she retires, we can all talk about how weird it was that she was randomly a top player for a year, but the fact at the core of that is that Kiki Bertens was a top player for a year.
She also had the most top 10 wins of anyone on the tour. In fact if you combine the last two years she still may be #1 on that list (hasn't played many of them this season though). She belongs in the YEC and proved that she belonged last year when everybody whined that she made it and she almost made the final.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time in this trolling, TBH

Kiki has a 47-21 win-loss ratio this year, which is pretty good for a top player.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Polona seems to be a train wreck when it comes to converting even the most comfortable SP's and MP's. She gets to those game changing moments and then somewhere in her mind there is a sudden paradigm shift and everything goes south. Complete self destruction!

Honestly, felt sad for her loss today. She could have had that first set so easily and had so many opportunities her way. That racket smash at the end of the first set summed it up well. Sigh.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts