Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beijing R3: Ashleigh Barty (1) d. Zheng Saisai 6-3 6-7(5) 6-2!

The less said about that second set from Ash the better... :help:

Much better in sets 1 and 3 ... and she is on to the QF... :D

Zheng :hug:

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Apart from the TB mess, overall this was a very solid match from Ash. The H2H is now 5-0, so Saisai has effectively been pigeonized :yeah:

She did well to save all 5 BPs on her serve, but wasn't too great in converting BPs herself (3/14) which hurt her in that second set. Anyways, another QF for Ash this year, the Barty party continues :cheer:

Kvitova is going to be really tough. Based on current form Petra would be favoured, but you never know when Petra bashes everything out, so we'll see. After all, Ash beat her in Miami.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Why didn't Saysay shake the umps hand?! Trashy.

Figured there was no way Ash was losing this, always seemed like she was ahead.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why didn't Saysay shake the umps hand?! Trashy.

Figured there was no way Ash was losing this, always seemed like she was ahead.

I honestly think she just forgot... and probably got confused cuz Ash was already standing super close to the umpires stand... :shrug:

There was no umpire altercations during the match...

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
good showing from National Hero SAISAI, putting the world #1 on the brink :cheer:

onwards :dance:

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
A #1 being reliable and making it to most Semis and Quarters this year in tournaments she enters say whatttttttttttt??

But she’s so boring and lame and no one cares and blah blah blah.

Bitch, she is refreshing and she’s gonna be here for a hot minute.

While everyone else with an outstanding peak level is being hot and cold Barty is gonna be on the other side of the net winning those matches.

IMO she’s truly one killer off-season from developing her own peak form. I think the serve and forehand can be bigger, and I think the net game can be more aggressive. There are layers to this onion.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Only saw the 3rd set. SaiSai had so many chances to get back in front against Ash, but it seems like one of those days where neither player is very good on the BPs. Nice couple of points towards the end of the set for Ash to seal it (and a lovely lob on MP!), but before that she looked there for the taking. Have to favour Petra in the QF.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Barty got a lot of flack for her results recently, but she really is a good player, mentally strong, with nice strokes and the right attitude.
Maybe she doesn't get a lot of love here because of the way she looks? I'd take her over Osaka as N°1 anyday.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Barty got a lot of flack for her results recently, but she really is a good player, mentally strong, with nice strokes and the right attitude.
Maybe she doesn't get a lot of love here because of the way she looks? I'd take her over Osaka as N°1 anyday.
:confused: What do you mean? Please explain.

Reactions: VeeJJ

·
Registered
545 Posts
Barty has a lot more going against her in terms of popularity than her looks (which are perfectly fine). I don't know why so many are eager to act as if she looks like a mountain troll when she's a perfectly attractive woman and people like Ivanovic are the exception, not the rule. Ash is an understated personality with an understated, balanced game - that's kind of all you need to create an unpopular player. People notice the dramatic characters more and in terms of game, her all-court game just means that most fans have a player that suits them more. If you like bashers, Kvitova and Osaka are top 10. If you like defense, the insane gets of Svitolina and Halep will entertain you much more than Barty's aggression-neutralising slice. If you like a tactical player with some degree of variety in their game, Barty is maybe for you, but fans with that preference are a pretty small group and even among that group, some will say that much of her variety (slice slice slice slice slice slice slice) is more of an under-exploited weakness than a strength.

Add to that the fact that Barty is a consistently good player, rather than one with insane peaks, and there isn't too much to get excited about for most. Andreescu and Osaka instantly got popular because their big results showed very scary peaks and gave people something to be excited about for the future. Most want their favourite player to be a dominant, imperial player. Ash just isn't that kind of player, and most aren't going to jump on a bandwagon for someone who'll be consistently great but unexciting for the next ten years.

Barty just isn't an extreme enough player in terms of game, personality or potential to attract a huge fanbase at this point. If she can stick around the top for longer and win more big titles, she'll get more interest, but for now of course people are going to jump at Osaka and Andreescu first.To say that this situation comes only down to looks is rather insulting to both the fans and the players themselves (do you really think they're nothing but models to the rest of the world?). If you think about it for more than five seconds, you can see a myriad of other factors.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,019 Posts
Barty has a lot more going against her in terms of popularity than her looks (which are perfectly fine). I don't know why so many are eager to act as if she looks like a mountain troll when she's a perfectly attractive woman and people like Ivanovic are the exception, not the rule. Ash is an understated personality with an understated, balanced game - that's kind of all you need to create an unpopular player. People notice the dramatic characters more and in terms of game, her all-court game just means that most fans have a player that suits them more. If you like bashers, Kvitova and Osaka are top 10. If you like defense, the insane gets of Svitolina and Halep will entertain you much more than Barty's aggression-neutralising slice. If you like a tactical player with some degree of variety in their game, Barty is maybe for you, but fans with that preference are a pretty small group and even among that group, some will say that much of her variety (slice slice slice slice slice slice slice) is more of an under-exploited weakness than a strength.

Add to that the fact that Barty is a consistently good player, rather than one with insane peaks, and there isn't too much to get excited about for most. Andreescu and Osaka instantly got popular because their big results showed very scary peaks and gave people something to be excited about for the future. Most want their favourite player to be a dominant, imperial player. Ash just isn't that kind of player, and most aren't going to jump on a bandwagon for someone who'll be consistently great but unexciting for the next ten years.

Barty just isn't an extreme enough player in terms of game, personality or potential to attract a huge fanbase at this point. If she can stick around the top for longer and win more big titles, she'll get more interest, but for now of course people are going to jump at Osaka and Andreescu first.To say that this situation comes only down to looks is rather insulting to both the fans and the players themselves (do you really think they're nothing but models to the rest of the world?). If you think about it for more than five seconds, you can see a myriad of other factors.
Well, I speak only for myself and I know don't represent any dominant opinion here and I don't try to pretend I do but.... I love nothing more in tennis, and find nothing more exciting, than a really good aggression-neutralising slice. :inlove:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Barty has a lot more going against her in terms of popularity than her looks (which are perfectly fine). I don't know why so many are eager to act as if she looks like a mountain troll when she's a perfectly attractive woman and people like Ivanovic are the exception, not the rule.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with your excellent analysis; however, it is true that many tennis fans (mostly straight males) gather around and cheer for the conventionally "hot" Girls.
Just look at Kournikova and Bouchard.. I mean, even non- entity(t the moment) such as Fanny Stollar and Sofya Zhuk get many more supporters than other players with comparable results.

In Barty's case there certainly are a huge numbers of factors working against her in terms of popularity, but I do fear that her look might be one of those factors putting shallow fans away.

Instagram holds no value, but it is indeed strange to see a WTA n.1, slam winner, great player with an inspirational story getting 150k followers, while Stollar, CH114, currently ranked 301, hailing from the relativly small country of Hungary, gets 70k.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
:confused: What do you mean? Please explain.
She’s not hot. She’s not overly marketable. She’s not dramatic.

She’s our new Davenport. A solid athlete that will have a solid career and win a bunch of titles.

·
Registered
56,658 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts