Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great battle between two good defenders and attackers, where the momentum changed multiple times. :worship:

Venus still got the goods and she almost had this but Belinda was at her best and most concentrated with her back against the wall.

Belinda keeps her nose in front in the battle for Shenzhen against Kiki.

·
Registered
239 Posts
OMG I cant believe it , Belinda made a comeback to defeat Williams, great job Belinda, feel sorry for williams cant pull herself together the last 3 games, old age shown!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Rollercoaster final set: Belinda having a series of mental implosions with a resurgence from Venus gets broken back to 4-4, Belinda saving 2 MPs with winners serving at 4-5, Venus saving 2MPs at 5-6 but sadly it wasn't enough for her to get to final set TB..

Bencic staying alive in the race to Shenzhen alongside Svitolina and Bertens.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Wow! Can't believe Bel won this really. Venus is bad match-up for her. Credit to V for fighting it out until the end and also making the journey to China and just showing up, as others' do not. Any other tournaments scheduled for Venus this year?

Reactions: Perun and iramina

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Venus so close to another top 10 win. :(

This was an entertaining, pretty epic match but as a Venus stan it’s hard to see it that way after losing despite having 2 MPs… :sad: to be fair Bratlinda played awesomely to save them and hold. The last 6 games all had break points which only upped the drama, but I do think it was decided earlier in the 3rd set when Venus threw in two double faults to break herself early.

Belinda also had her too far behind the baseline for her to do as much damage as she needed to win this one (despite some impressive defending). Nice to see her with no strapping or taping on the body for once.
@PLP she's on the list for Tianjin.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
This one really is a bad matchup for Belinda. Good that she got through at the end, so we can still enjoy this battle for Shenzhen...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
LQ match. Bencic just spiralled out of control after going up 2-0 in the first set & then was more or less battling herself for the remainder of the match. Fortunately, she could compose herself when it matters.

I don’t know why people think Venus is a bad match up for Bencic though. I mean, one of Venus’s wins was when she was like 15, the other on clay, another during a slump period of Bencic...

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
belinda did her very best to choke this away. her attitude and crying.

this is why she couldn't beat bianca at the u.s.open, mentally fragile.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
belinda did her very best to choke this away. her attitude and crying.

this is why she couldn't beat bianca at the u.s.open, mentally fragile.
Wrong, I thought she was calmer than usual vs Andreescu hence why she nearly won. Dominated both sets, Bibi just played the big points better/got fortunate

I have been saying this for over a year now, i don't know why BB is having so many mid match tantrums, it’s something that crept into her game since she back from injury. Certainly never used to get so irritated pre injuries.

For her recent standards, Venus played quite well today. Her new coach seems to be getting every single ounce out of her.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Canny match, didn't expect it to be this close :scared:

·
Premium Member
64,853 Posts
Congrats Belinda :inlove:
Staying alive.
Early match points saved reminds me of Dubai :p

Venus :hug:
She put up a great fight here!!

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,193 Posts
The quality was incredible for a 10 minute stretch of the final set. Venus hit a barrage of FH winners to hold serve at 4-4 and go up double MP at 5-4*, then Bencic responded with 4 straight winners of her own. Venus actually held up well in most of the physical/long points too.

Venus is finally playing at a top 20 standard again, but unfortunately her low ranking means that she's playing top players R1 or R2 each week. :eek: Hopefully she can do well in Tianjin and carry some momentum into 2020 to slowly build her ranking back up.....

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Sad that Venus lost, but clearly she didn’t give up without a fight. Great match from Bel. Maybe Bencic wants to go on another run like Dubai saving multiple MPs. :eek:h:

If only Venus played like this more these days. I guess we have to just be grateful for the few flashes of brilliance she produces at her age.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
When people wonder why so many like Venus but dislike Serena, and even come with nonsense conspiracies theories, show them this match.

Venus really loves the game, and actually puts an effort outside of slams. She's a class act and really respects the tour.

·
Registered
15,871 Posts
Ahhh I suppose Venus winning this match was always going to be a big ask - but loved how she battled to the end and stretched BB to 7/5 in the 3rd.

If she can win one or two matches in Tianjin I will be happy - it’s a strong EL for an international level event mainly due to the cancellation of HK.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
¡Por Júpiter! Beli almost lost to WTA's grandma... :surprise:

Beli looks tired, kind of lethargic... I think she must withdraw from this tournament, end her session, return to LegendLand and gets ready for next year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts