Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Becks to Get OBE

MANCHESTER United star David Beckham is to receive the OBE.

The football idol will be handed the gong in the Queen's Birthday Honours later this month.

Becks, 28, is to be given the award for his services to football - and the fact he is a model husband and father.

The England captain is Britain's most popular sportsman and an icon for millions of fans.

Also receiving awards on the same day will be football managers Arsene Wenger and Gerard Houllier.

The two Frenchmen, bosses of Arsenal and Liverpool respectively, will be given honorary OBEs.

And veteran cricket star Alec Stewart, the England wicket-keeper come batsman and former captain, will also get an OBE.

Beckham's award recognises the clean-living example he has set for millions of children.

But it comes just as the superstar leaves the UK for a new club in Europe.

Becks is widely believed to be on his way to Spanish giants Barcelona.

The midfielder will earn around £150,000 - making him the highest-paid player in the world.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
LONDON (AFP) - England captain David Beckham has been awarded the Order of the British Empire, one of the highest civilian honours the Queen can bestow, in her annual honours list, the Press Association reported.

The 28-year-old Beckham, a media icon and one of the world's top footballers, will receive the OBE, or 'Order of the Big Earner' according to the Sun. He reportedly earns 15 million euros (17.7 million dollars) annually.

Ted Beckham said he was sure his son would be delighted to receive the award. "I imagine he'll think 'blimey, he's only 28 and he's got an OBE'. It's superb."

·
Registered
15,248 Posts
jonathan_crane said:
Please tell me this is a sick joke.
lol ;) unfortunately its not.

·
Banned
1,618 Posts
Don't they usually start out on an MBE anyway?

Brian Clough only ever got an OBE (still waiting for the Knighthood)!!

And while Beckham has been a great ambassador for English football of late, I still don't think he needs to be recognised just yet. When he captains a World Cup winning side, then maybe, but at the moment it is totally unjustifiable. I still can't believe it is true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts