1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One for the oldies...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/2981871.stm

Veterans back on court

Tennis legends Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg will play each other again in June.
They will meet at the Queen's Club, to help the Stella Artois tournament celebrate its 25th anniversary.

Four-time Stella Artois champion Becker, and Edberg, winner in 1991 and twice a finalist, will play on the last day of the tournament between the singles and doubles finals.

"It will be an honour to play Stefan. Having won the tournament four times, the Queen's Club holds many special memories for me," said Becker.

"My career really took off when I won the Stella Artois title in 1985 and then Wimbledon three weeks later as a 17-year-old," he added.

"Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg have been great ambassadors for tennis, for sport and for the Stella Artois," tournament director Ian Wight said.

"We were absolutely delighted when they both jumped at the chance for one more go at each other' to mark our 25th anniversary."

Becker entranced tennis fans when in 1985, aged just 17, he became the youngest player to win at the All England Club.

The German became a tennis legend, taking the Wimbledon title twice more. His career haul of 49 titles included two Australian Open crowns and one US Open success.

Swede Edberg won Wimbledon in 1988 and 1990 and triumphed at both the Australian and US Opens.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Lucky those who will attend the tournament. Maybe Eurosport will treat us to this match as well?

I can dream, can I? ;)

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
i would love to see this match. the gentleman vs the rake. should be interesting!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
there's also a davis cup revival germany vs usa at the rothenbaum tourny in may. BECKER, STICH, MCENROE and KRICKSTEIN (?) will play two singles and one doubles match! :D

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
go Stefan :D :D :)

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
MrsTheBoiledEgg said:
Lucky those who will attend the tournament. Maybe Eurosport will treat us to this match as well?

I can dream, can I? ;)
I hope for you that you'll have the BBC ;)
Too bad I don't get home till a few hours AFTER this match :(

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
its gonna be live on BBC too
i might be in Birmingham then :( :mad:

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I have no BBC :mad:
But Eurosport sometimes cares about its loyal tennis fans. Was it during USO'02 that they showed an exhibition match between Becker and some American amateur :p

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Too bad you don't have the BBC, but I hope you can catch it on Eurosport.
In Holland we always get old matches during rain delays at RG or Wimbledon. That's really cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts