Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious question.

I have been trying to make the point that players weight is a legitemate topic of conversation. However, I usually learn more by listening than talking. Given that weihght DOES affect athletic performance, how would YOU go about discussing it? I started a thread in which I said in the first post that Jenn was in such good shape she probably wouldn't drop a set before the final. Somehow that was interpreted as criticism.

Obviously, the words I used were not palatable to some people. I can't promise I'll change the way I attempt to communicate, but I'll certainly give any serious suggestions you have serious thought.

·
Registered
17,918 Posts
LOL, I can answer your question! :rolleyes:

The problem was the inflammatory TITLE of your thread: JENN and FAT. What were you THINKING? The VERY SAME POST with a different title would have been received quite differently, I am sure!! :angel:

But, we will wait to see what Becca has to say. :hearts:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Perhaps Jenn and Fat? Discuss. would have been more appropiate.

Personally I think it's legitimate debate. You could title a thread 'Jenn was in such good shape she probably wouldn't drop a set before the final, but she's carrying an extra roll of fat'. But that's pandering to over-sensitivity.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
janie - 'Jenn and Fat' wasn't some kind of comment on Jenn's value as a person. It's just a visually assessible physical attribute that has historically been a valuable indicator of athletic performance. It shouldn't BE inflammatory. If I were writing about Pete Sampras, it WOULDN'T be inflammatory.

·
Registered
17,918 Posts
Volcana,
As a long-time fan of Monica Seles and Lindsay Davenport, believe me, I understand when fans become extra sensitive regarding weight issues and their faves.

As I said, there was nothing at all wrong with your post itself, and a player's fitness is definitely a legitimate and interesting area of discussion.

BUT -- if I had seen a topic someone started called "Monica and Fat", I would not even venture to read it, and would in fact mark it down to some troublemaker or person who can't stand Monica.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Volcana, a lot of people jump to conclusions on this board. They assume all the worst when they see a certain title and even if the post is nothing bad, for some reason they are still seething over the title. I remember Viva posted something with the title that said "hahaha all you williams fans" and he explained how he got to see Venus... and that he was just joking about the title... yet they still gave him crap for it, despite the fact that he didn't say anything bad about her at all. Personally, I enjoy reading your posts because you always have something interesting to say... some people just take the internet wayyyy too seriously ;) ;)

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Yes, I too thought your post was fine, but the title may have put people off. I also agree that sometimes people go over the edge on these boards for not very good reasons. As I mentioned in my post on that thread, I did think that Jen looked a TAD heavier this year than last year. AND I noticed that she played great and looked strong and fit. There is a lot of sensitivity to women's weight issues, for good reason. Most women are tired of being held up to some unattainable, and mostly unhealthy standard.

I think your posts are good and enjoy reading them. I do think, though, that getting heavier doesn't necessarily correlate with worsening performance. There are plenty of athletes, male and female, who have bulked up and gotten overall stronger, and that has absolutely improved their athletic performance. Even if they weren't "skinny" to begin with, it helps lots of athletes to bulk up and they don't lose fitness. Personally, as a long-distance runner, it actually helped me to lift weights and get a "bit" bulkier -I have fewer injuries and my body fatigues less easily.
Ruth in PHilly PA USA

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Me and Vanity, go back like babies and cotton candy! YahYahYAHHH YAH YAH!! LMAO!

I remember Viva posted something with the title that said "hahaha all you williams fans" and he explained how he got to see Venus... and that he was just joking about the title... yet they still gave him crap for it

STOP LYIN' liar. What??? It was like ONE Williams fan that took issue with Viva's "tease" thread , AND I remember quite a few WILLIAMS FANS, telling the person, that Viva meant no harm. So, "yet THEY still gave him crap for it", is a bunch of "crap".

V

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I would agree that it was the use of the title "Jen and Fat" that made people take offence. It could just as easily have been entitled "Jen's fitness".

There's nothing wrong with discussing a player's fitness level, but when you make an aesthetic issue of it and talk about players as "fat" you're doing something different.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I don't like it. But I said I'd consider and listen. And the world is not obligated to organize itself to suit me. I can take the extra seconds to write with a consideration for other's feelings in the matter whether I agree with them or not.

I suppose for a lot of people, this wouldn't require an effort.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Volcana - sorry that I didn't see this sooner, or I'd have responded. I haven't been in GM as much lately - more sticking to the Aus. Open and ATP forums.

ANyhow - nothing I said was supposed to be meant as a slight to you as a poster. I quite enjoy your posts, and find you create many thoughtful threads that lead to great discussion.

Despite my protests, that thread was one of them.

I don't think discussing a players fitness level is wrong. They are pro athletes - if they aren't in shape, it will effect their performance.

It'd be silly for me to think that we couldn't talk about it :)

The only thing that I draw issue with is calling people fat - who aren't. Period.

Either than that, I have no problem with anything. People can label me over sensitive all they'd like - but after watching a freind nearly starve herself to death, I happen to be a little sensitive to the issues that our society as a whole has with thin vs fat.

Jenn is a big girl. She is NEVER going to be a size 2. Frankly, even when she was in better shape last year - she wasn't any smaller. She was just firmer.

It just makes me sick when people call perfectly healthy people "fat". There is a HUGe difference between being out of shape, and fat. If Jenn is fat, then so is 95% of the population.

If I misunderstood you, or took a lot of my irritation out on you - I do appologize.

But please try and understand where I'm coming from - I'm really not just trying to be a pain in the ass :)

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
STOP LYIN' liar. What??? It was like ONE Williams fan that took issue with Viva's "tease" thread , AND I remember quite a few WILLIAMS FANS, telling the person, that Viva meant no harm. So, "yet THEY still gave him crap for it", is a bunch of "crap".
I actually talked with Viva after he made that comment and he was surprised at the bad reaction he got from Venus fans for writing that, especially since he only said nice things about her. I even remember a few Williams fans complaining about it in chat and it was more than Teerex. Get your facts straight. Thanks

PS - Grandslammed.... i'm guessing you changed your name from Heavy_Hitta? ;)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem Becca.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts