Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tennis world descends on the grass courts of SW19 for Wimbledon fortnight.

Roger Federer is most people's tip to reclaim the men's title he has won for the past three years.

The women's crown, though, is harder to predict with the likes of French Open winner Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters looking to beat last year's champion Venus Williams.

Here a selection of BBC pundits give their verdict on who they think will cause at stir at Wimbledon 2006.

Sue Barker
BBC presenter

Men's winner: Roger Federer
Outsider: Mario Ancic

Federer is simply the best out there and I can't see anyone beating him. Mario Ancic is a real threat to the big names. If things go his way he could be very dangerous.

Women's winner: Maria Sharapova
Outsider: Shahar Peer

Maria Sharapova's natural grass-court game, plus her advantage of having previously won the tournament, make her my tip. She is very happy at the venue and I think she will do very well.

Israel's Shahar Peer has a big future in tennis and I will be fascinated to see how her draw pans out in SW19.

Michael Stich
BBC commentator

Outsider: David Nalbandian

Easy to pick the men's winner - Roger Federer. He has been the best player on grass over the past three years and I don't think he will be beaten.

There are plenty of guys out there who could threaten him, David Nalbandian is one and of course there are the likes of Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick.

Women's winner: Kim Clijsters
Outsider: Nicole Vaidisova

Both Belgians, Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne, seem healthy at the moment and in good form so they will take some beating.

Nicole Vaidisova's game really suits grass and I expect her to do well.

John Lloyd
BBC commentator

I can't see Federer losing but Mario Ancic's game is perfectly suited to grass and he is very solid from the back of the court. He injured himself at the French Open so he needs to get fit. If he recovers properly he could do some damage.

Women's winner: Maria Sharapova/Venus Williams

Sharapova looked good at the French Open in patches.

Grass is her best surface as it suits her power game. She seems to be in a good frame of mind and she is such a great competitor.

I also fancy Venus Williams.

It's almost as if the Williams sisters have been written off, but Venus is saying 'don't forget about us'.

Andrew Castle
BBC commentator

Men's winner: Tim Henman
Outsider: Andre Agassi

I'm a sentimental old fool at times, it's a lovely thought to think that Tim could win it.

I'm also showing solidarity with the over-30s by tipping 1992 winner Andre Agassi to ruffle a few feathers, fitness permitting.

Women's winner: Svetlana Kuznetsova
Outsider: Eleni Daniilidou

Kuznetsova is a brilliant athlete. She let herself down a little bit in the final of the French Open, but she has won on grass before. I also feel Greece's Eleni Daniilidou will make an impression.

Chris Bailey
BBC commentator

Federer is simply too good, he owns the title down there.

He might be in danger in the early rounds as there are a lot of dangerous players out there like Marat Safin, Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski, though I'm sure he will win again.

Women's winner: Venus Williams
I liked the way Venus was moving at Roland Garros and she was striking it really well. She hasn't played a lot of matches but she is the defending champion.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Chris Bailey is obviously the only one who knows anything about tennis these days.

I still find it slightly amusing how Sharapova would be favored over Venus; even just based on their form so far this year.

What does 'outsider' mean? Is it a low-ranked player than can do some damage?

·
Honorary Admin
99,434 Posts
vejh said:
Chris Bailey is obviously the only one who knows anything about tennis these days.

I still find it slightly amusing how Sharapova would be favored over Venus; even just based on their form so far this year.

I guess it means the "runner up"

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Tim Henman?
Andre Agassi?
Eleni Daniilidou?

Reactions: lilly

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Venus went into last year's Wimbledon with less match play and looking shakier. This year, it almost seems like she's used the clay season to practice for Wimbledon. I pick Venus. She looks to be striking the ball very well. Sharapova, with her loss last week, indicates to me that she is still very rusty. She's more natural on this surface, but if she's injured and can't serve big, then she can't win. Her chance to winning is to be able to serve big and hold serve against the big guns. For that reason I pick Venus.

·
Registered
540 Posts
vejh said:
Yes, that's what it means.

Interesting that so many have picked Nicole as their outsider.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I like when no one picks Venus to win. It keeps her under the radar and she seems to play better there with less pressure. They still sounds stupid with those predictions.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
it's always better when they count Venus out because I love seeing and smelling eggs in their faces :lol:

Reactions: Dawn Marie

·
Veelieve!!!
32,686 Posts
tonythetiger said:
I like when no one picks Venus to win. It keeps her under the radar and she seems to play better there with less pressure. They still sounds stupid with those predictions.
Me too :p then again you have to remember that people mostly base their predictions on their hopes, which is why I don't take any predictions seriously:shrug:

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
tonythetiger said:
Two of them DID pick Venus. :silly:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
tim henman? hahaha you can't be serious

·
Registered
27,834 Posts
Chris Bailey knows what he is talking about while Andrew Castle..........:lol: is he actually serious? Tim Henman and Andre?? both men were struggling badly against each other in first round of Queen's last week,playing poor tennis. Andre's game is definitely no way near where it should be for him to have a decent crack at the title while Tim is likely to have a horrid draw being unseeded.

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
SelesFan70 said:
:secret: But they all didn't so it's an official dismissal of Miss Williams.

I'm trying to use WTAWorld logic. It's hard! :wavey:
Ah, thanks for the explanation. ;) I need a little help around here sometimes ! :smash:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Andrew Castle must be on drugs. Tim and Agassi, I would put Sveta more as an outsider. And John Lloyd, Sharapova looked good at the French open in patches :silly: that is like something you would say about someone ranked #60. I am afraid playing well in patches won't win you Wimbledon.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts