Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Good article. Demonstrates something that gets forgotten in TF discussions sometimes -- just how strong the competitive drive is for athletes who love the sport.

Doing *everything* by yourself; always the cheapest possible travel and accomodation; gradually depleting your savings; playing in front of practically nobody. And after two years of this, knowing it will never pay off big in $$, she still loves it enough that "making a living" at tennis is still her goal. Crazy, but in a good way.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
"It's a different story if your room-mate is out of the tournament. Her flight home might be days away, and so she is matchless at an all-inclusive resort hotel with fit foreign boys she'll probably never see again. Who can blame her for wanting to see them now?"

:devil:
Omg :hysteric:

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
This was actually great and inspiring. I’ve legit been thinking of trying. I have the means and decent skill. I don’t expect much - it’s just love for the sport and to compete.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This was actually great and inspiring. I’ve legit been thinking of trying. I have the means and decent skill. I don’t expect much - it’s just love for the sport and to compete.
I'm curious -- Would you start out with North America events only, or travel internationally?

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Was hoping for much spicier sex-related insights.

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
And the fit foreign boys?

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
you go get'em gurl!

·
Registered
39,725 Posts
I love inspiring stories and no, I wouldn't be her colleague at Volvo that says 'follow your dreams' but call her crazy and question her behind her back. Even if she returns to her job next year, she will have lived her dream, tried it her all and can tell many interesting stories other people with their 45 year Volvo career couldn't even dream about. She still has a long way to go in her life to do all those ordinary things. I wish her all the best!

Can anyone with an IPIN sign up for ITF tournaments, btw? How do they regulate entry for people with no ranking? Does it come down to national rankings then?

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
In the article she says she's looking to buy a van a là Rezai but I'm sure she could get her hands on some cheap Volvo 200, and pimp it in order to be able to sleep in it. The most annoying thing of van life is often times you've to poop in a bag and pee in a bottle other than that is pretty cool.

Reactions: MoonballPusher

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
That's still 2,500GBP per month but in Sweden where she would have free health care and a lot more public assistance.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I'm curious -- Would you start out with North America events only, or travel internationally?
Definitely stay in the USA because cheaper, I have friends throughout the states I can stay with. And TBH as an attractive gay man - I can almost always get free lodging anywhere with a few clicks on Grindr...

Stay tuned for my onlyfans page that will sponsor my dreams

What's your gender, age and UTR?
27 yo male in quite good health, very fit (yoga tennis weights), no idea what my UTR is :lol: that's new no? I'm a good NTRP 5.0 I think I can have a good time dabbling around 15K-50K's.

I think it's a different perspective for me. I have a career that is very flexible (and remote) and provides the means. So I wouldn't be desperate for money, I would be competing to compete because I love it. I LOVE the training part - I love the gym, the sprints, pushing my body.

It's just an experience. I always wondered if I was too late to start. But if I remember correctly - a couple of years ago a guy qualified for Wimbledon at 36yo?

IDK it's a thought - my body isn't worn out from years of pro life and traveling etc.

The way I thought about it is - what have I got to lose? The training will only make me hotter and better at a sport I will play until I die.... If I win some matches on an armature tour and travel the country playing tennis - ummmm fuck yes.

I think it is a very different approach and perspective when you aren't trying to do it to survive.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
27 yo male in quite good health, very fit (yoga tennis weights), no idea what my UTR is :lol: that's new no? I'm a good NTRP 5.0 I think I can have a good time dabbling around 15K-50K's.
You can check your UTR here:

https://www.myutr.com/home

You might need a subscription, you can always PM me your real name and I can check it for you.

Very useful tool to know how close to your level players in a specific tournament are.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good article, but nothing groundbreaking here. Probably the most surprising thing for me was that she was "only" making 30000 GBP per year as an engineer in Volvo :lol:

That’s a ton of money for a 20 year old with little to no expenses.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts