Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13,986 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think they had to play at least 2 matches in the days from Monday to Wednesday and at least one match in the last 4 days which is what happened.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Really fun week, and quite fitting that it came down to the final mixed doubles match, especially with the mixed matches often rounding off the daily sessions, and feeling like a massively significant part of the schedule.

I hope they can find time to do it every / most years. It'll be tough fitting something that packed into a normal year, the best time would probably be the week directly after Wimbledon (although not ideal if players make deep runs...), or the week after that, but then that's quite near the start of the US swing, but I'm sure they could fit something in somewhere.

It kind of does need pretty much everyone to show up though. Sam Murray, Katie Swan, Gabi Taylor, Katy Dunne etc. along with Neal and Ken Skupski and one or two other doubles men, and young Jack Draper, could have contributed, and been as asset, in different times, but the vast majority of the top ranked players did show up, and some of the matches were a little down to the bare bones like Ali Grey vs Ryan Peniston etc. so a few more dropouts / injuries and it could have felt more second rate - I guess we just need a few more higher ranked players :LOL:

Well done all involved.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The progress tour was not intended for Johanna Konta who has made millions playing but rather for lesser players to earn some money.
Do you really think she wasn't asked? I'm sure they wanted as strong a field as the Battle of the Brits men's tournament.
It kind of does need pretty much everyone to show up though. Sam Murray, Katie Swan, Gabi Taylor, Katy Dunne etc. along with Neal and Ken Skupski and one or two other doubles men, and young Jack Draper, could have contributed, and been as asset, in different times, but the vast majority of the top ranked players did show up, and some of the matches were a little down to the bare bones like Ali Grey vs Ryan Peniston etc. so a few more dropouts / injuries and it could have felt more second rate - I guess we just need a few more higher ranked players :LOL:

Well done all involved.
Katie Swan was there (albeit injured), she commentated on a couple of matches.

As @ROSAMUND ; said above , she did “the minimum requirement “ and that was it for her ....:eek:
Watson is also playing Lexington but still took part yesterday so not sure what Konta's excuse was, they replaced her with a cardboard cut out at the victory celebrations.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Watson is also playing Lexington but still took part yesterday so not sure what Konta's excuse was, they replaced her with a cardboard cut out at the victory celebrations.
....And then the cardboard cut out fell over and her team just left it there face down on the floor 😂.

Didn't realize Watson was playing Lexington as well :eek:. This aloofness Konta has isn't a good look, it's not like she has the Grand Slams or the weeks at number one to back it up.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Do you really think she wasn't asked? I'm sure they wanted as strong a field as the Battle of the Brits men's tournament.

Katie Swan was there (albeit injured), she commentated on a couple of matches.

Yeah, but my point was clearly focussing on the court. You could have Andy, Heather, Dan etc. all commentating on the matches next year, but if they're commentating on Mark Whitehouse vs Tom Hands, or Tiff William vs Amelia Stuart, it's not going to work too well, so it is massively relying on the relatively small batch of competent players we have being fit, and being on court. Not anyone's fault they are injured obviously, but a few more absentees and it will be felt.

Regarding Jo, it's a shame she wasn't there at the end, and she was a notable omissions, but if she wasn't too comfortable in the whole surroundings and environment, then at least she showed her face, met her match requirements, so that the event at least felt more legit having a bigger name there, and if after that, it's not really for her, then she's not really got anything to prove at her age and stage of her career.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
The players seem to be enjoying it although it's hard to see it happening again in normal circumstances. Hopefully it will boost the Davis/Fed Cup teams going forward.
I don't see why it couldn't continue. They have done a similar thing in the US and some other countries for a long time. I would expect the very top players would sit it out, particularly if important tournments are coming up. But the camaraderie was nice to see. Although I do think Dan Evans is a bit of a div, and TBH so is Liam Broady. 😅

It was interesting hearing some of the things they would say.. Like during the Mixed Doubles match of Murray and Broady vs Edmund and Raducanu, there was a point when Andy was rallying with Emma and hit his shot into the net, so Liam Broady started saying "Emma Raducanu..Andy's worst nightmare" and "It's too heavy for him". Then there was a point when Liam was playing Jan Choinski, and during the match he started shouting "amazing athlete, terrible tennis player" 😅 It seems like the British guys rib on each other a lot.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Also skipped the Progress Tour. Doesn't seem particularly close to the other players either.
I just think she's a more reserved person, so in that sort of atmosphere it might come across as kind of haughty, although I don't think she actually is. She seems to get on with the girls well enough during Fed Cup. She probably doesn't hang out with them much outside of tennis, but there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't continue. They have done a similar thing in the US and some other countries for a long time. I would expect the very top players would sit it out, particularly if important tournments are coming up. But the camaraderie was nice to see. Although I do think Dan Evans is a bit of a div, and TBH so is Liam Broady. 😅
Because this is Jamie's brainchild i'm sure he'd want to be involved and he'd want his bother involved with the amount of attention he could bring. If that's the case, there really aren't many slots in the calendar for this to happen.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Because this is Jamie's brainchild i'm sure he'd want to be involved and he'd want his bother involved with the amount of attention he could bring. If that's the case, there really aren't many slots in the calendar for this to happen.
Paullow's suggestion of the week after Wimbledon would probably be best. Although that would rule out the very top players. Or they could have it towards the end of the season. Again, it ruels out the top players but that was always gonig to be an issue for events like this. Even Jo struggled to commit during current circumstances.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Paullow's suggestion of the week after Wimbledon would probably be best. Although that would rule out the very top players. Or they could have it towards the end of the season. Again, it ruels out the top players but that was always gonig to be an issue for events like this. Even Jo struggled to commit during current circumstances.
The week after Wimbledon would be ideal. It won't work for next year because the Olympic games are couple of weeks after Wimbledon but for 2022 it could work and some top players (Andy and Jamie) could show up.

I just think she's a more reserved person, so in that sort of atmosphere it might come across as kind of haughty, although I don't think she actually is. She seems to get on with the girls well enough during Fed Cup. She probably doesn't hang out with them much outside of tennis, but there's nothing wrong with that.
I get that she may be a reserved person but you'd think that her PR person would tell her how bad the optics look not being seen supporting her team?🤦‍♀️...or maybe her PR person did tell her and she didn't listen?🤦‍♀️

If she wants people to pay attention to things she's doing off-court (podcast, Konta's Kitchen, new dog walking business) then she at the very least, has to come across as likable.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The week after Wimbledon would be ideal. It won't work for next year because the Olympic games are couple of weeks after Wimbledon but for 2022 it could work and some top players (Andy and Jamie) could show up.

I get that she may be a reserved person but you'd think that her PR person would tell her how bad the optics look not being seen supporting her team?🤦‍♀️...or maybe her PR person did tell her and she didn't listen?🤦‍♀️

If she wants people to pay attention to things she's doing off-court (podcast, Konta's Kitchen, new dog walking business) then she at the very least, has to come across as likable.
If the Union Jacks had won would anyone have been bothered if Jo Konta had been there or not? She's on tennis cameo and she's made people who've made a request to her that on that very happy. So you may dislike her but everybody doesn't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought Johanna Konta entered into the spirit of the Brits Team event and put in a genuinely competitive effort at what must be quite a challenging time for her (the knee injury, new coach, imminent tour restart, corona virus, US Open, etc). Given the above challenges I thought her absence after day 5 was quite legitimate and could have been predicted at day 1. My biggest fear is that a hidden agenda is at play here to try and discredit Jo, which would not be good for the sport.

As for Heather Watson, I was surprised she played so many matches but again her chances of going deep at the US Open are significantly lower than Konta's and as for Jo's excellent podcast with Sue Barker, you'd be foolish not to listen in whatever your views on Jo are.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I thought Johanna Konta entered into the spirit of the Brits Team event and put in a genuinely competitive effort at what must be quite a challenging time for her (the knee injury, new coach, imminent tour restart, corona virus, US Open, etc). Given the above challenges I thought her absence after day 5 was quite legitimate and could have been predicted at day 1. My biggest fear is that a hidden agenda is at play here to try and discredit Jo, which would not be good for the sport.

As for Heather Watson, I was surprised she played so many matches but again her chances of going deep at the US Open are significantly lower than Konta's and as for Jo's excellent podcast with Sue Barker, you'd be foolish not to listen in whatever your views on Jo are.
Heather has yet to win a main draw singles at the US Open and after 34 appearances in Grand Slam singles has yet to get beyond the 3rd round.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts