Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well Emma has the first set but Katie showed in her last tournament that she can come from behind to win.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow. Jamie and Heather 8-2 up in the MTB, but ended up losing it 8-10. I know it's just an exho, but that'll still sting.

An exciting end to a pretty fun day. Some good stuff.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Jo may be quoted as world number 14 but her form hasn't been anywhere near that since beating Pliskova at last years US Open. To some degree it might be down to the knee problem. Her match with Jodie was only her 8th singles match since last years US Open and only her 1st in nearly 5 months. Her match with Katie Boulter will be their first ever meeting.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Tomorrow's OOP. Play starts on both courts at 11.30am.

Centre Court:
Men's singles: Jan Choinski v Cameron Norrie
Women's singles: Katie Boulter v Johanna Konta
Women's doubles: Naomi Broady & Heather Watson v Harriet Dart & Beth Grey
Men's singles: Dan Evans v Kyle Edmund
Mixed doubles: Andy Murray & Jodie Burrage v Joe Salisbury & Emma Raducanu

Court One:
Men's singles: Anton Matsuveich v Liam Broady
Women's singles: Alicia Barnett v Maia Lumsden
Jamie Murray & Olivia Nicholls v Alastair Gray & Eden Silva

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jo may be quoted as world number 14 but her form hasn't been anywhere near that since beating Pliskova at last years US Open. To some degree it might be down to the knee problem. Her match with Jodie was only her 8th singles match since last years US Open and only her 1st in nearly 5 months. Her match with Katie Boulter will be their first ever meeting.
Hope Katie plays better today than she did against Raducanu.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
3 breaks in a row to start things off, and now 4-1 Boulter. Not quite as enjoyable as being indoors yesterday I don't think.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm surprised Hev and Naomi lost to Dart and Grey in doubles. Hev and Naomi so much more experienced and have played many events together. They even reached a WTA final.

Maybe Dart and Grey should try playing on tour together once that resumes.

Good to see Jo get a win. She looked very awkward about losing to Burrage. I do think Burrage could potentially be a top 100 player though, but then so could many of the other early 20s Brit girls, but many of them fail to make it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Disappointed to see Boulter lose again after playing so well at the Progress Tour, really should have beaten Konta today.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It was a shame for Katie being in such a strong position, but at the same time, for Konta's sake, at least she fought back in that second set as it could have been a bit embarrassing for her if that set ended up being 1 or 2 as well. Hopefully we get to see both of them at least once more in singles before the end of the event.

Another fun day today, most looking forward to Emma vs Jodie tomorrow (not before 4.30pm). Not normally a fan of men's doubles, but I am quite looking forward to the J Murray / Evans vs Salisbury / Edmund clash - the final matches have had the best atmospheres thus far.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good to see Jo get a win. She looked very awkward about losing to Burrage. I do think Burrage could potentially be a top 100 player though, but then so could many of the other early 20s Brit girls, but many of them fail to make it.
Yeah, I was convinced Jodie was heading towards the top 100 prior to the 2019 grass season - she'd had a great 6 months, some signficant wins, knocked about 250+ spots off her ranking, and was at a CH of around 230, with pretty much nothing to defend for about 4 months, a grass season full of WCs to look forward to, and then Surbiton happened...what with the injury, recovery, finding her feat, and Covid, it's basically taken her exactly a year to show signs of that form, but hopefully she can take this on to ITF scene, should she get the chance. A lot to like about her.

It is hard to predict what will happen in the coming years regarding form, injuries, even potential career changes etc, but going back to that earlier Stuart Fraser article, below were the rankings just after Wimbledon 2018, and next to it is where they currently find themselves, just over 2 year later.

Boulter 117 - 374 (huge injury set back, and obviously has a protected ranking inside top 100). 24 on Saturday.
Dart 168 - 146 (despite having Wimbledon R3 on her record). 24 today (or rather yesterday)
Swan 176 - 254. Turned 21 a few months ago. Injured again.
G Taylor 177 - 428. Turned 22 a few months ago. Personal issues.
Dunne 220 - 325. 25 and a half. Been injured a while and has missed all of this 'British swing'.
Lumsden 406 - 368. 22 and a half. Has had share of injury/illness, but hasn't really looked too good for 18 months
Burrage 464 - 289. Turned 21 a couple of months ago. Already mentioned her.

So everyone is now two years older (obviously), and although a couple of ranking 'rises' (all of them are currently well below their CHs), none of them, bar maybe Jodie, would have been happy if you showed them their new ranking 2 years later. Some were thinking Gabi may have been on course for top 100 around Fed Cup 2018 time, but there could actually be genuine questions if she ever plays again. Swan about 100 places worse off, and loads of injuries, Dart has been ranked higher, has had some success at slams, and has been injured a fair bit, but she's 24 now, so not really a youngster anymore, and she's basically just where she was 2 years ago.

Looking at that list, the only 2 that I could sort of see in the top 100 within the next couple of years or so are Boulter and Burrage, Raducanu too perhaps, but then all 3 have had their share of injury issues, so it's really hard to tell. Oh, and that little thing called Covid could be a slight issue as well. Marni Banks looks pretty promising too, if she can stay fit as well (currently injured...).

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Watson-Silva getting underway now on the BBC and LTA platforms. Naomi Broady in singles action now as well.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Emma in very good form this week, just a pity the overall contest has been so one sided so far.
Emma's in singles (vs Watson) and mixed doubles (also againt Watson) action tomorrow, and both are on Centre on the main BBC channel, so this really is great exposure for her.

It's strange because at the start of the week I actually thought the UJ's had the stronger team overall, but I guess with Andy being restricted to doubles that changes things a bit, and Salisbury probably is the better doubles player out of him and Jamie M. Not too many (outside of senior Mr and Mrs Norrie) would have thought Cameron would have beaten Evans twice, but fair play to him. Still plenty of points to play for, but the gap seems to get wider each day.

Harriet making her singles debut here tomorrow againt Jodie on Centre.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Emma in very good form this week, just a pity the overall contest has been so one sided so far.
It's been one sided in the respect that the Bulldogs have won 8 out of 9 of the MTB's. That has given them 12 points. Reverse the situation and UJ's would have been in the lead. Even if it had been 5 to 4 in tie-breaks it would still have been closer.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
...Not too many (outside of senior Mr and Mrs Norrie) would have thought Cameron would have beaten Evans twice, but fair play to him....
You would not find anyone in New Zealand to second that thought! It's such a shame that Tennis NZ couldn't afford to keep him here (his parents still live in Auckland). He may not always be the most consistent player around, but when he's on song he's very difficult to get past.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
You would not find anyone in New Zealand to second that thought! It's such a shame that Tennis NZ couldn't afford to keep him here (his parents still live in Auckland). He may not always be the most consistent player around, but when he's on song he's very difficult to get past.
Hmm, I was maybe selling him a bit short, he's been a 50-75 player for a while now, but I've just never really been too convinced by him, and Dan did beat him fairly routinely a few weeks ago at the original (male only) Battle of the Brits event on his way to the title there, and he is/was surprisingly #11 in the 'Race to London', albeit after only playing 5 events.

You couldn't do it, because this fixture wasn't even announced until a day after his first win, but hypothetically, if you backed Norrie to win twice in a double, you could have got 15/1 (or 14.00 depending on what betting format is most commonly used in NZ), so it was unlikely from that POV, but he did play really well both times - his match point in their first match was insane.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
...you could have got 15/1 (or 14.00 depending on what betting format is most commonly used in NZ)...
15/1 = 16.00, not 14.00. :geek:

However, I agree with you - his inconsistency has let him down in the past, but this year he was really starting to play well before the tours got suspended. I haven't watched any of the British tournaments because the key matches all seem to be at 3 or 4 am our time, and the early matches are usually featuring players that I'm not really interersted in watching.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts