Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I debated putting this in General Messages because of some of the names involved, but there'd probably be minimal interest, but there's a (relatively) interesting mixed team event starting on Monday, featuring pretty much all the bigger names in British tennis, and it's being covered again by BBC online (and across all LTA social media platforms for any overseas lurkers).

Team Union Jacks (Greg Rusedski and Judy Murray captains)
Watson, Boulter, Burrage, N. Broady, Barnett, Nicholls
Evans, A. Murray, Choinski, Peniston, Matusevich, J. Murray, Glasspool

Team British Bulldogs (Leon Smith and Anne K captains)
Konta, Dart, Raducanu, Lumsden, Silva, Grey
Edmund, Norrie, L. Broady, McHugh, A. Gray, Salisbury, Inglot

I'm not sure on the full format yet, but there'll be a mix of singles, doubles, and mixed doubles. It starts on Monday 27th, and concludes on Sunday 2nd.

It sounds like a really good idea and I'm quite looking forward to it.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
It is. I hope her knee is up to it.

Sounds like it should be a good event and I'm glad it's being covered by the BBC. It will be great to see higher level tennis on there again.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depending on the format, I guess Konta could maybe play a couple of early days, or even just be there early on to show her face, so to speak, before heading off.

It's a decent mix of players. A few injuries, and a couple of the better doubles guys are currently playing World Team Tennis, but pretty much everyone is there who you'd have hoped. Some of the obvious top brass, and a couple of promising youngsters of both sexes, but some of the names does kind of emphasise the general lack of strength in depth. I can't imagine too many, generally, would have heard tell of Ryan Peniston, or Olivia Nicholls. Possibly Choinski as well - although that could actually be a good opportunity to introduce him to the British audience, as I don't think he's had a televised match since his switch from Germany.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The women's field is pretty strong, only major absentees are Katie Swan (presumably still injured from last week) and Naiktha Bains (stuck in Australia?)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The women's field is pretty strong, only major absentees are Katie Swan (presumably still injured from last week) and Naiktha Bains (stuck in Australia?)
Yeah, Naiktha in Australia, played a few matches recently, and Katie Swan surely still injured because she'd be an obvious choice.

I assume Eden, Beth, Alicia, and certainly Olivia, are mainly there due to their doubles credentials. There are a couple of long term absentees like Gabi Taylor and Katy Dunne who would have been useful additions, but while Sam Murray may well be injured as well (she withdrew from an event a couple of weeks ago), I personally don't really think that's a huge blow in terms of the event, and I think the likes of Naomi would bring more to the TV viewer, despite being lower ranked, certainly in terms of name value anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I assume Eden, Beth, Alicia, and certainly Olivia, are mainly there due to their doubles credentials. There are a couple of long term absentees like Gabi Taylor and Katy Dunne who would have been useful additions, but while Sam Murray may well be injured as well (she withdrew from an event a couple of weeks ago), I personally don't really think that's a huge blow in terms of the event, and I think the likes of Naomi would bring more to the TV viewer, despite being lower ranked, certainly in terms of name value anyway.
I'm guessing they can't invite one Broady without the other.

Did anyone see this article in The Times about the Progress Tour last week? (paywall unfortunately)

Strong stuff, suggests some of the absentees weren't injured at all and that there is a feud between some of the British players.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing they can't invite one Broady without the other.

Did anyone see this article in The Times about the Progress Tour last week? (paywall unfortunately)

Strong stuff, suggests some of the absentees weren't injured at all and that there is a feud between some of the British players.
Very interesting. I read something fairly similar from Mike Dickson in the Mail on Monday, but it wasn't as detailed as this, although it still stops short of naming specific names.

He's right about the general landscape of the GB women's game as well. It was looking so promising 2 years ago, but for one reason or another (injury, personal issues, or just not progressed as hoped), pretty much every one of that batch of 7 or 8 have either stalled, or gone backwards, and one or two obvious exceptions aside, there's very few 16-19 year olds coming through as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very interesting. I read something fairly similar from Mike Dickson in the Mail on Monday, but it wasn't as detailed as this, although it still stops short of naming specific names.

He's right about the general landscape of the GB women's game as well. It was looking so promising 2 years ago, but for one reason or another (injury, personal issues, or just not progressed as hoped), pretty much every one of that batch of 7 or 8 have either stalled, or gone backwards, and one or two obvious exceptions aside, there's very few 16-19 year olds coming through as well.
I think Emma Raducanu is probably the best hope for the future if she stays fit.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Emma Raducanu is probably the best hope for the future if she stays fit.
Definitely. One of our best prospects for some time, but as you say, staying fit will be key, and she too has already had her fair share of retirements and withdrawals, even at her tender years. But her results and performances thus far, when she's actually played, have been impressive.

Fellow 17 year old Marni Banks is probably the other of the 16-19 range that I have most hopes for at this stage, but she too withdrew from her British Tour semi final the other week with an ongoing injury issue, so it looks like our players are cursed from top to bottom :LOL: 😔.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few more details - 60 matches, 40 singles, 20 doubles, and 10 point MTB in deciding sets. There is a weighted points system by the day, and 'Super Sunday' means the most, so a bit like the Laver Cup, where they'll be trying to ensure it is 'live' as much as possible towards the climax. They have hawk-eye, and benches set up, so it looks like it could be a really good spectacle.

The weather looks like it could be a bit iffy tomorrow, but Tuesday to Sunday looks fine, and maybe a bit on the hot side if anything.

Maia Lumsden withdrew from her 3rd / 4th playoff today, so I'm not sure how that affects her involvement here, and if she is injured, just a precaution in preparation for this, or just happy to concede and finish 4th (if no points / prize penalties), but guess we'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless they can easily switch indoors, today could be fairly rain interrupted, but there does look to be some decent matches on Centre today.

Centre Court
Jodie Burrage vs Johanna Konta
Dan Evans vs Cameron Norrie
Anton Matusevich vs Kyle Edmund
Katie Boulter vs Emma Raducanu
J Murray / H Watson vs J Salisbury / H Dart

Court One
Ryan Peniston vs Aidan McHugh
L Glasspool / N Broady vs D Inglot / E Silva
Heather Watson vs Beth Grey
D Evans / L Glasspool vs D Inglot / A Gray

I'm quite interested to see how Jodie matches up to Konta with one playing multiple matches across 3 events, and the other not since early March. Boulter vs Raducanu should be good, and then a fun mixed doubles match to round the day between various doubles slam champions.

It's on the BBC Red Button channel from 11.50am, so that'll make it easier to record, switch channels etc.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Weirdly, the feed on youtube on my phone is ahead of the red button feed on Freeview. Are the BBC taking the feed from youtube?!?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are people thinking later on between Emma Raducanu and Katie Boulter? Bookies have it pretty close, and both have played just the one Summer event thus far, both beating Jodie Burrage (in a deciding set) in their respective finals.

Boulter has obviously been top 100 before (and still has a PR inside that range), but those 3 mentioned have been the ones who I thought could perhaps establish themselves as top 100 players over the next few years (Emma hopefully a bit beyond that). Harriet is obviously closest currently, and has been on the periphery, but I think the others have more about them to differentiate themselves.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd think Boulter would win. She's match fit and more experienced than Raducanu.
I'm leaning that way too, Emma pulling out of the Pogress Tour slightly influencing that further. Bookies have Katie 8/13, Emma 6/5, so fairly close, althouhg Katie the favourite.

Seems strange discussing / highlighting a men's match here, but then the thread is on the S&C sub section, but a great MTB win for Norrie over Evans just before. A couple of upsets here already.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts