Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Pennetta: “I think that at the moment the top players are going through many ups and downs, but it is interesting to watch a tournament because you don't know who is going to win. Today the level of players outside the top ten is much higher than in the past, therefore things are more even."

Bartoli: “I completely agree, but I would like to add one thing: when I look at Angelique Kerber, for example, it is difficult for me to imagine that she won three Slams and in general most girls lose their motivation once they get to the top. Perhaps it is because of social media, interactions with fans and all of the off-court activities. I thought that Naomi Osaka could compete at the highest level with consistency after winning the Australian Open, instead she had a big downfall. The way that she played at Wimbledon is unacceptable for a world number one. I hope that the top players will become more consistent in the next few months."

Pennetta: “To me it is important that the WTA continues to work together with the ATP, they shouldn't take two different paths. I think that it's great for the crowd to go see a tournament where both men and women are playing with different styles. Men's tennis can be fun, but at times it could be just serve, serve, serve and no rallies! We can give them something and they can give us something."

Bartoli: “I am not convinced about certain choices that the WTA is making. I don't think that it is a good idea to have China host the WTA Finals for ten years; the time difference is a major issue especially for TVs. Who is going to watch the matches? It will be difficult to watch from Europe and the United States and I don't think that the Chinese fans are that interested in women's tennis, at least as of today. Those big stadiums are difficult to fill out. The ATP understands that important decisions shouldn't always be based on money, they care more about giving our sport the right exposure. When you have cities like London or Turin host the Finals, for sure you will also get competent tennis fans. We have two Slams in Europe. How many do they have in China? With all due respect to the Chinese fans, I think that the WTA should have a wiser long-term plan. I was watching videos of the WTA Finals when they took place here in New York with Martina, Chrissie or Steffi. Madison Square Garden was packed, you couldn't find an empty seat. Today, if you don't have Serena playing on center court, you won't have a full stadium. That is the most important point in my opinion: How can we promote our players in order to sell out stadiums again?"

·
Registered
That Woman
4,476 Posts
:lol:

Coming from players who never played another major after their lone win, this is hilarious.

Bartoli: “I completely agree, but I would like to add one thing: when I look at Angelique Kerber, for example, it is difficult for me to imagine that she won three Slams and in general most girls lose their motivation once they get to the top. Perhaps it is because of social media, interactions with fans and all of the off-court activities...."
I mean, maybe it was just you, Marion?

·
Let's have a kiki!
102,623 Posts
This is pretty hilarious coming from two of the biggest one slam wonders in the history of the WTA :lol:

But it's only a small snippet from their interview, they are focused on other issues that the WTA is facing
This :spit:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
People wasted no time to devalue opinions of Bartoli and Pennetta on the grounds of their success in tennis.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
To be fair, only Bartoli is slaying, Pennetta is just reciting the tired PC mantra about "the depth".
Bartoli does make valid points and for someone with her achievements she did get a fair amount of attention by the casual fans, which speaks in her favour, but yeah, criticizing others for their lack of motivation is hilarious coming from her.

·
La nuit je mens
87,976 Posts
Funny how Pennetta says that players outside the top 10 are way better than before. For a player that mostly spent her entire career outside the top 10, not exactly a compliment to herself. That depth crap again...

Bartoli is right though. The consistence and focus of top players is laughable compared to 15 years ago. And her example is not in contradiction with what she says at all, she never was that top player she's talking about and she knows it. She's a top 20 who managed to get the most of what she got.

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
These two are shooting themselves in the foot and it's hilarious. They retired immediately after winning their only slam and they wanna talk about losing motivation after winning a slam? LMAO! Bartoli criticizes the WTA for not doing enough to promote players to fill stadiums. Some players just aren't marketable period.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It really puzzles me what people are expecting of the top WTA players. I actually find it more admirable and inspiring that top players can have these periods of bad spells and then climb their way back. Tennis is beautiful because it teaches us that life is a process.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Bartoli: “I am not convinced about certain choices that the WTA is making. I don't think that it is a good idea to have China host the WTA Finals for ten years; the time difference is a major issue especially for TVs. Who is going to watch the matches? It will be difficult to watch from Europe and the United States and I don't think that the Chinese fans are that interested in women's tennis, at least as of today. Those big stadiums are difficult to fill out. The ATP understands that important decisions shouldn't always be based on money, they care more about giving our sport the right exposure. When you have cities like London or Turin host the Finals, for sure you will also get competent tennis fans. We have two Slams in Europe. How many do they have in China? With all due respect to the Chinese fans, I think that the WTA should have a wiser long-term plan. I was watching videos of the WTA Finals when they took place here in New York with Martina, Chrissie or Steffi. Madison Square Garden was packed, you couldn't find an empty seat. Today, if you don't have Serena playing on center court, you won't have a full stadium. That is the most important point in my opinion: How can we promote our players in order to sell out stadiums again?"

:worship:

·
King
28,900 Posts
Bartoli is such an attention seeker, and nowhere near as smart as she thinks.

I mean, firstly, saying that it’s shocking that Kerber has 3 slams when she had probably the most ridiculous fluke run to a slam of all time is completely rich.

Secondly, of course it would be amazing if they hosted the YEC @ Madison Square Gardens and have other iconic locations host events, but the bottom line is the sponsors won’t give the cash and even if they did, those arenas would not be sold out like they were back in the 90s and early 00s. Even if Asia is not fully sustainable long-term, there’s no other feasible short-term option in the US (heck the WTA had to fund the Bronx themselves) or Europe that would be putting up the same sorts of prize monies and keeping the narrative alive that women’s tennis is a thriving a continually growing sport, so they have no other choice.

I would say that that Pennetta’s point about players outside the top 10 being better than ever before being partially correct, as in it feels as though there are a lot of players who are ranked lower than they would be if they were producing consistent tennis more frequently on the tour, but I actually think the biggest difference is in the 30-100 range, where mid-ranked players a fitter, stronger and better than ever before and the chasm between that level and breaking through another 20 or so ranking points doesn’t feel that deep anymore, and top players who are half-in, half-out in terms of motivation really struggle with this.

·
La nuit je mens
87,976 Posts
It really puzzles me what people are expecting of the top WTA players. I actually find it more admirable and inspiring that top players can have these periods of bad spells and then climb their way back. Tennis is beautiful because it teaches us that life is a process.
Big matches in Slams, good rivalries. Not that hard.

I mean, for how long are we going to see Slam draws fall apart ? When was the last time we actually got a strong QF lineup of top players ?

Osaka in Melbourne and Halep in Paris are the only top 4 seeds who reached the QFs in Slams this year. This is awful.
The last time the two top seeds reached the QFs of a Slam was AO 2018, almost 2 years ago. (and before that, it's the USO 2016...). So it happened twice in the last 16 Slams !!!

And the last time the 4 top seeds managed to reach the QFs ? Roland Garros 2013.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
People wasted no time to devalue opinions of Bartoli and Pennetta on the grounds of their success in tennis.
not devaluing but recognizing they are guilty of the issues they bring up themselves so it is pot meet kettle. they are criticizing kerber who has more slams than them combined. that being said, they can counter by saying, kerber who has a losing h2h vs serena, benefits from playing an older, past her prime serena who gets nervous in big finals. also the fact that if she is at 70% can still make finals show how weak this era is. her losing to halep at wimbledon is proof of that.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Why do we have to constantly drag player's reputations thru the mud just because they have only one grand slam to their credit. People need to show a little kindness, not so quick to pull up a retired players stats and rake them over the coals. These ladies are accompanied and they make some valid points. It is true, why all the tournaments in China, when they can hardly fill a stadium? It put great financial pressure on the players ranked 60 to 100 who can't afford the cost of travel, training and being away from home for so long. The WTA needs to seriously figure a way to schedule these events so that the US and Europe get an equal amount of tournaments and thus a diverse entry field.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
These hacks are shooting themselves in the foot and it's hilarious. They retired immediately after winning their only slam and they wanna talk about losing motivation after winning a slam? LMAO! Bartoli criticizes the WTA for not doing enough to promote players to fill stadiums. Some players just aren't marketable period. Like if you try to promote Bartoli, the only thing filling up the stadium is Bartoli's body.
Bartoli is such an attention seeker, and nowhere near as smart as she thinks.

I mean, firstly, saying that it’s shocking that Kerber has 3 slams when she had probably the most ridiculous fluke run to a slam of all time is completely rich.

Secondly, of course it would be amazing if they hosted the YEC @ Madison Square Gardens and have other iconic locations host events, but the bottom line is the sponsors won’t give the cash and even if they did, those arenas would not be sold out like they were back in the 90s and early 00s. Even if Asia is not fully sustainable long-term, there’s no other feasible short-term option in the US (heck the WTA had to fund the Bronx themselves) or Europe that would be putting up the same sorts of prize monies and keeping the narrative alive that women’s tennis is a thriving a continually growing sport, so they have no other choice.

I would say that that Pennetta’s point about players outside the top 10 being better than ever before being partially correct, as in it feels as though there are a lot of players who are ranked lower than they would be if they were producing consistent tennis more frequently on the tour, but I actually think the biggest difference is in the 30-100 range, where mid-ranked players a fitter, stronger and better than ever before and the chasm between that level and breaking through another 20 or so ranking points doesn’t feel that deep anymore, and top players who are half-in, half-out in terms of motivation really struggle with this.
To be fair Bartoli def was not a fluke regardless of her "easy" 2013 title run....she made the Wimbledon FINAL in 2007( beating Henin in the SF, her only slam loss that year) as well as a Roland Garros SF, 3 other QF's and a career Slam QF.

Any they have every right to complain, they both played (mores Marion) in an era where the top players delivered and more often than not were making it to the deep ends of the big events...it was rare to find a slam in their main playing days where you didn't have several of Venus, Serena, Kim, Justine, Amelie, Capriati, Davenport or Sharapova making it to the QF/SF/F of the majors. Nowadays you can find QF's with 1 or 2 top players and whole SF lineups with no top player left.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Why do we have to constantly drag player's reputations thru the mud just because they have only one grand slam to their credit. People need to show a little kindness, not so quick to pull up a retired players stats and rake them over the coals. These ladies are accompanied and they make some valid points. It is true, why all the tournaments in China, when they can hardly fill a stadium? It put great financial pressure on the players ranked 60 to 100 who can't afford the cost of travel, training and being away from home for so long. The WTA needs to seriously figure a way to schedule these events so that the US and Europe get an equal amount of tournaments and thus a diverse entry field.
OMG, of all people, Ellentonboy writing the most sensible post on this thread so far...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts