Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
26,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anca Barna, Marlene Weingärtner and Florian Mayer (ATP) have not been nominated for the Olympic Games in Athens despite being qualified according to ATP and WTA regulations. :rolleyes:
All three were among the 48 (56) highest-ranked players (with max. 4 players per country) on June 14th which means they are allowed to play. But as the criteria made by Germany's NOC are tougher (No. 32 or better and a GS quarterfinal on June 14th), they weren't nominated.
The reason for having these criteria is that the NOC only wants to nominate athletes with an "Endkampfchance" (the chance to reach the 'finals' - which means last 8).
This is totally ridiculous in Mayer's case as he reached the Wimbledon quarterfinal only two weeks later, thus fulfilling the criteria. But the NOC says "too late". :retard:

But there is still some hope left. The ATP has announced that they won't award rankings points for Athens if Mayer isn't nominated. And the WTA is also investigating in Barna's and Weingärtner's cases. :)

·
Registered
24,749 Posts
Gott, so ein Mist, die können doch froh sein das zwei Deutsche Damen dabei seind, und der Mayer muss einfach mit - wenn der so spielt wie in Wimbledon, kann der locker ne Medaille holen...meine Güte, da muss man sich echt schämen Deutscher zu sein...solche Idioten...:mad: :fiery: :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
why do i get the feeling that if it were Anna Lena Groenfeld and Jana Kandarr up on the block instead of the un-glamorous Barna and Weingartner (both born in Romania), the German NOC criteria would be mysteriously relaxed?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Will they seriously not award points to anyone just because Mayer isnt there? :eek:

It sounds pretty stupid though. It should be the same criteria for every country.

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
omG, this is crazy...
do they actually expect every tennis player they send to make it to the final eight? that's nearly impossible and they may even eliminate themselves...

·
Premium Member
181,855 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
omG, this is crazy...
do they actually expect every tennis player they send to make it to the final eight? that's nearly impossible and they may even eliminate themselves...
like in the last Olympics the draw will be FIXED so that nations with just 2 players will be in diff halves.
Countries with 4 will have one in each 1/4
One's with 3 will be split into quarters as well.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Doesn't it cost money to send players to the Olympics? I think the German Federation reserves the right not to send any players if it doesn't want to, but I think their "criteria" excuse is ridiculous. Just say so up front that they are proud and cheap and don't have faith in their players. How does Florian Mayer miss out on the Olympics when Tommy Haas, who is ranked much lower, gets to play? Haas was the Silver medallist in Sydney but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire recently due to his offcourt problems last year. Meanwhile, Mayer did very well at Wimbledon and showed that he is in good form going into Athens.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If Barna, Weingartner and Mayer don't go to Athens, who takes their places?

·
Registered
24,240 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
like in the last Olympics the draw will be FIXED so that nations with just 2 players will be in diff halves.
Countries with 4 will have one in each 1/4
One's with 3 will be split into quarters as well.
o good, that makes some difference. but still, i don't agree with their decision.

·
Registered
679 Posts
As I have said before, that German NOC's decision is ridiculous... I hope the WTA can assist Barna especially after the crappy treatment she always gets from her home country. She just basically destroyed Zuluaga yesterday, which is pretty good! Maybe none of them would actually come close to medalling at the games, but Germany has no other eligible players, nor players ranked even in the Top 100. In short, Anca and Marlene (and Florian) have earned the right to play for their country according to the Olympic rules.... so let them play!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
NOK=Arschlöcher
I'm really angry about this decision and I hope there will be a change of it.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Uh folks, little secret (shhhh): The NOK follows the lead of the sport bodies, meaning here the DTB, a "loose confederation" akin To The Suisse State. And who "really, really, really" calls the shots re. women pro's for the national body? See Huber, A. And who gave Huber Hard time ova Last Leipzig MD WC (ever?) going to Clijsters, E? (Try Barna, A). ;)

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
saphir1 said:
I am really positivley surprised by the ATP and WTA. I think it's great that they care of their players in such a manner! :wavey:
You're 100% correct about the WTA & ATP (both = owned by The Tournament Directors in reality). But re. tennis and the Olympics, need a villain? Try The ITF! ;)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
JollyRoger said:
Uh folks, little secret (shhhh): The NOK follows the lead of the sport bodies, meaning here the DTB, a "loose confederation" akin To The Suisse State. And who "really, really, really" calls the shots re. women pro's for the national body? See Huber, A. And who gave Huber Hard time ova Last Leipzig MD WC (ever?) going to Clijsters, E? (Try Barna, A). ;)
Interesting. I didn't realise Anke held that kind of position. I actually think although Barbara Rittner is low ranked and totally out of contention in terms of the ranking deadline, she would deserve it more. At the recent Fed Cup play-off against Ukraine, it was 30+ Barbara Rittner who saved Germany from slipping even further down the tennis ladder, winning both her singles in 3 tight sets while her younger teammate (I think it was Groenefeld) lost both her singles. I definitely think Anca Barna should have been allowed to go.

I am more upset though that Florian Mayer is not going. Florian is one of my favourite players (I can see Matthias from Florian's cheering thread on MTF is here :wavey: ) and has had a great few months. He has improved his ranking dramatically this year and deserves to go more than Nicolas Kiefer in my mind. The team should have been Rainer, Tommy and Florian. :sad: I hope that the ATP investigation or appeal is successful and that Florian gets his chance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
vogus said:
why do i get the feeling that if it were Anna Lena Groenfeld and Jana Kandarr up on the block instead of the un-glamorous Barna and Weingartner (both born in Romania), the German NOC criteria would be mysteriously relaxed?

Marlene born in Romania? I didn't know
what was her romanian name?

·
Registered
54,420 Posts
Marlene's been a bitch with the German Federation refusing to play for her country when she was ranked 30-something and asking for a huge amount of money to do it, so I'm happy she didn't get the spot :devil:

Plus one of the premises to become elegible to play in the Olympics is to be in good terms with your Federation, right? ;)

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Why should we sent German players to Athens? :confused: They could win matches! :eek: What a shame! :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts