Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think many of you know about the fact Kim Clijsters´s sister Elke and Germany´s junior got wildcard-entry in the tierII event this week, Germany´s no1 player and two time quarterfinalist recently, Anca Barna, did not.

As a consequence of the wildcard-giving to Groenefeld, the wildcard which was organized by the German federation, and the lack of information by her FedCup captain, Barna decided to retire from Germany´s FedCup team.

For those interested more, there are a number of threads on that in the "Leipzig" section.

It´s not the Clijsters-scancal, that most of us don´t understand even more, but about the fact that Germany´s federation was asked for advice on the 3rd wildcard (next to Elke and the Gold Exempt for Babsi Schett) that lead to AnnaLena and not Anca.

Anca stated that AnnaLena could have played in the qualifying and she in the main draw and that she was responsible for Germany staying (in contrast to the men today who lost in spite - or because of Schuttler) in the World Group same as the fact that she loved the event in Leipzig and last year even took a set from Serena Williams.

Anca will re-think about her decision if the German federation supports her in asking for a Filderstadt wildcard.

I think this turned out a bit different than we expect it to because the Elke-wildcard was the question, not the Anna-one, but this shows the difficulty that 3 wildcards within a tournament aren´t always the same stuff but a question of WTA (gold exempt), business (Elke) and federation (AnnaLena) and it´s not that tournaments can give cards as freely as they want.

I think it´s great this is coming to the press finally because Anca really deserved a spot within the main draw reaching the quarterfinals against Rubin twice the last 14 days and if she is really playing 30 events a year to get herself to the top45 for the Olympic qualification for Athens next year she shows heart for her country and for her own goals and it is more than a punishment for her to refuse her request in that - I believe even AnnaLena will understand what Barna is going through right now.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think then that Babsi Schett is a silver exempt ;)

I think it´s definetly the fact that German tennis federation president talks about everything too positive without even being in contact to players. If he does not know about the situation within the teams, both men and women, everything has to be called positive if you see that the women won outside Germany in Asia and that was something Germany can be very proud of.

But especially today when it comes to the fact that Germany was in a big crisis when Haas got injury and everybody cried for a new hero and out of the blue Schuttler "exploded" and caused a hype when reaching the final in Melbourne and now we had our new top10 star, even this star cannot win a whole tie on his own and even not with a re-rising star like Kiefer on his side. Germany´s federation consists of officials that do what team captain´s tell them to do, nothing more.

Kühnen decided to play on clay even knowing about the fact that the US Open before are on hardcourt. Why clay then ? Because Sundern, the place where Germany´s tie against Belarusse was to be played is the clay-court-stadium of Germany´s national tennis team champion therefore it was expected to hold the tie in an area where tennis-fans are located. It was no longer a surface.question but a business question. Germany´s coach decided because of the other team´s weakness (which was clay in his opinion) not because of his own strength. He decided to pick clay and Berend instead of hardcourt and Kiefer. The other option would have brought us 2 points by both German players, Kiefer and Schuttler, I´m sure of that.

Eberhard is the same thing. You never heard of Eberhard with regard to German tennis in the women´s case and he never was seen at any of the Grand Slams. Germany´s women had a desastrous year Grand Slam-wise and nobody showed interest in that. It´s about time to ignore Marlene Weingärtner for what she achieves within a year after exploding in Australia and being promoted to talk-shows and stuff and then doing nothing. It´s the time that Germany concentrates on players like Barna who reach the 3rd instead the 4th round of a Grand Slam but this regularly and within more than one tierII event demonstrate that they are willing to FIGHT !

It´s time that Barna is being given the respect she deserves.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think her indication on playing Tokyo shows that she thought Leipzig/Tokyo are played the same week. Instead, she can go to Moscow now to play qualifying there next Friday or rest for Filderstadt. But this would mean 2 weeks without a tournament and I doubt she is planning to do so. She´s hot for the top45 and Athens 2004.

Does anybody know if the final week of LA is used for the direct entry purpose for Athens ? I wasn´t aware of that.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
ChrisGermany said:
Anca will re-think about her decision if the German federation supports her in asking for a Filderstadt wildcard.
So, if she gets that Filderstadt wildcard, she'll forget about that? :rolleyes:
Even though I think she deserved that WC here, I have to say that, between AnnaLena and Anca, I'd chosen AnnaLena, as the organization did.
I can't see with she's focused that problem on AnnaLena's WC, when, obviously, that was not the main problem.

·
Registered
26,637 Posts
You guys don't get it. The problem isn't either Anna-Lena, the upcoming German star, or the venerable and popular Babsi from Germanic AUT. It's Lei Clijsters (the headcase who smeared Juju re. "doping") blackmailing the organizers that Elke (a totally mediocre singles player) had to get a WC for Kim to play. (If they really wanted another Belgian, Kirsten can kick the crap out of Elke on the court and they damn well know that). Thank goodness parents like Damir didn't have 2nd daughters who could kinda play. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Go Anca, and for the love of god what in the world is Elke doing here as a WC?!?

Say it aint so?

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
JollyRoger said:
It was an analogy, you know "unqualified but related to..." ;)
yes yes, I knew what you meant...I was just trying to lighten the mood a little.

Here's an analogy of my own:
While driving, I saw a sign that said "Free Manure" and I wondered "I didn't know Manure was oppressed?!" :angel:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You cannot control each of the 3 wildcards as I pointed out and it isn´t even guarenteed that they would have given that 3rd wildcard to Anca if having had the chance to get another player from the top20-30 or exempt lists. I finally accepted that.

It´s a fact that this 3rd wildcard was thought to be the "German" one. And if you see the fact players get points from the qualifying even if she´s a hot player right now and promising AnnaLena AND the organizers should have acted the way that they get her to play there, make her way into the main draw and allow Germany´s no1 her direct way into the draw after what she achieved in Asia. It´s not AnnaLena does not deserve it, it would have been fair within a FedCup group to inform themselves about what´s going on regarding that final wildcard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.