Draw: 32M/32Q/16D
Surface: Red Clay/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Jose Luis Rivera and Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario

Official Web Site:
www.bcnwta.com

© Jordi Ramos 2007 Singles Final
(6) Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) d. Edina Gallovits (ROU) 63 62

2007 Doubles Final
Llagostera Vives/Parra Santonja (ESP/ESP) d. (2) Dom�nguez Lino/Pennetta (ESP/ITA) 76(3) 26 1210

Mariki is a one seed!

Maria Kirilenko
Dominika Cibulkova
Anabel Medina
Karin Knapp
Julia Vakulenko
Pauline Parmentier
Tathiana Garbin
Klara Zakopalova
Edina Gallovi
Kaia Kanepi
Sofia Arvidsson
Sara Errani
Meghann Shaughnessy
Tsvetana Pironkova
Maria Emilia Salerni
Stephanie Cohen-Aloro
Rossana De Los Ríos
Lilia Osterloh
Sorana Cirstea
Emilie Loit
Nuria Llagostera
Lourdes Domínguez Lino
Carla Suárez

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
A Maria-Domi final would be nice but why is Maria playing a clay court event after Roland Garros:shrug:

Play a grass court tournament Maria:weirdo:

·
Registered
15,816 Posts
True, it would make more sence to play on grass :shrug:

Oh well, good luck Maria :yeah: This tournaments yours :angel:

·
Registered
29,119 Posts
Maria had a good clay season she obviously feels confident on the clay wants to win some more. She will play one grass tournament before Wimbledon. Good luck Masha.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Best of luck :bounce:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Van Harpen wants Maria to play a lot on clay because he thinks it will develop her game, help her think better on court.

However, Maria has a real chance to gain big points at Wimbledon before having to defend all her points from the second half of last season. She will have more chance of doing that if she can get better seedings. Still, maybe Van Harpen is really thinking long-term.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
She has got highest seeding in Estoril so far, just after Flavia. Now she's no.1. We must search for fact if it's first time she is 1st seed... :confused:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I hope she doesn't feel any extra pressure. She really will be the one to watch here.
Don't forget fantastic effort of Carla Suarez on RG. And great Dominika ;) Besides there are three girls on the entry list who defeated Maria this season. It's Anabel, Salerni and Errani. :tape:

·
Team WTAworld, Mr. Try Too Hard
52,159 Posts
I thought she would've played Birmingham considering she did quite well there last year. :shrug: The money's either really good or her coach knows what he's doing or she really hates grass.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
How many points is she defending this week?
20, then 1 in Eastbourne and 2 at Wimbledon.
If you take off the points from players of Birmingham, Eastbourne and Wimbledon last year, then Maria goes to 19

·
Registered
14,936 Posts
Kirilenko acknowledges from Paris that she will be the favourite at Barcelona KIA’08.

The Russian player, who will make her debut at the David Lloyd Club Turó between 7 and 15 June is looking to make it into the top 15 in the world this year.

Maria Kirilenko will be one of the main drawcards at the Barcelona KIA’08 tournament that will be contested at the David Lloyd Club Turó from 7 to 15 of June. The young Russian, currently 23rd on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, and likely to be top seed in Barcelona, is one of the most charismatic and popular players on the circuit. Kirilenko is currently the face of a clothing line from Stella McCartney for a well known sporting brand and has her own official website as well as various sites created by her considerable fanbase.

From París, Kirilenko described her sensations before her debut at the French Grand Slam and looking towards her first participation at Barcelona KIA’08. “My feelings before going to Barcelona for the first time are fantastic. I am playing well and that gives me confidence” she explained,

Kirilenko revealed her reasons for coming to the tournament:

“Normally I play grass tournaments after Roland Gardens, however this time I have decided to play one more clay surface” Despite her emerging professional career being characterized by her specializing in playing on hard surfaces, the world number 23 recognizes the benefits of playing on clay. “Each time I play on clay I like it more, and now I am beginning to do it better. This year I have won my first tournament on this surface and afterwards I have continued playing well. It is something that helps me because I feel that I improve every day and clay is the best surface to learn on and to get to know the game.

The Moscowvite totalled three consecutive seasons finishing among the top 30 in the world and this year she sets her sights even higher. “The objective I have set myself for this year is to finish among the top 15 in the world and I feel that I have a real possibility of achieving that.” Kirilenko said that she did not fell “any pressure” from being the favourite at Barcelona KIA’08, where she will compete for the title against players ranked in the top 50 in the world, such as Cibulkova, Safarova, Pironkova, Parmentier, Kanepi or Anabel Medina, who won last week in Strassbourg, and for whom Kirilenko only has positive words, both in sport as well as personally.
“She is the current number one Spanish player and each time we play one-on-one, she is always a difficult opponent. What’s more we trained at the same academy in Valencia, and she is a really nice girl.”

1 - 20 of 136 Posts