Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
105,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

2009 is OVER. This year there are full of surprises in the women tennis tour and you would see a 39-year-old still has game to win an international title, and every month there would be a lady standing out and lets all the TF Members jump onto her bandwagon. Let's have a brief Recap of the bandwagon player of this year...

2009 January - Jelena Dokic, best comeback tourny of...2 years? reaching Quarter Final of Australian Open, beating 3 seeded players en route (Anna, Wozniacki and Kleybanova) , pushing eventual Finalist Safina to 3 sets. However, she didn't play good outside Australia....:sad:

2009 February - Amelie Mauresmo. Winning Paris Indoors but It's sad that this is her last title of her career:sobbing:

2009 March - Victoria Azarenka, undisputedly awesome performance in the two two-week premium tourny - reaching SF in Indian Wells and Winning Miami (beating Serena in Final), she should have loaded a lot of fans now.

2009 April - Sabine Lisicki, Winning Charleston as an unseeded player, beating Venus in STRAIGHT SETS, and then beating Caroline Wozniacki in the final. Let's see if she continues her bandwagon effect in Roland Garros.

2009 May - Alexandra Dulgheru, winning Warsaw, a premium event, as a player outside top 200, beating in-form Bondarenko in 3 sets. What can I say? She is just catching me off-guard. ALL BANDWAGONERS ABOARD!

2009 June - Sorana Cirstea, stunned my fave Jankovic and get into the Quarter Final of French Open. Too bad after French Open she has done nothing impressive - she's in 6-match losing streak now.

2009 July - Andrea Petkovic, won her maiden title in Bad Gastein, and later reaching SF in Istanbul, upsetting Kuznetsova in Tokyo.

2009 August - Elena Dementieva, after losing in a tight battle to Serena in Wimbledon, Elena rebound and beats Serena in Montreal. Dementieva won 3 titles this year.

2009 September - Melanie Oudin, Reaching QF of US Open beating 4 russians in a row - Pavlyuchenkova, Sharapova, Dementieva, Petrova and lost to eventual Finalist Wozniacki. Not bad for a young player in slam.

2009 October - Francesca Schiavone, winning Moscow, a premier title of WTA. She ended a title drought of almost 2 years.

2010 January - Na Li getting into slam semi-final, breaking into top ten(first top ten chinese in WTA history), beating venus in 3, pushing serena into 2 TB. That says it all

2010 February - Alisa Kleybanova getting into her maiden title in Kuala Lumpur, however she faded into darkness afterward.

2010 March - Clijsters 2nd title of the year in Miami and 3rd since comeback. This make so many haters secretly become a fan of her.

2010 April - Samantha Stosur getting her 2nd title in Charleston (bullying Vera in final), getting into Stuttgart Final and lost to Henin in 3 sets. Suddenly people re-estimate her chances in RG. (PS. And she proved herself as a great force on clay as entering 2010 RG Final Later on.)

2010 May - Rezai as soon as she wins her biggest title ever in Madrid, defeating Venus in the final. Suddenly her game and ability to win over top players impressed lots of people. Her attitude, however, started to put people off.

2010 June - Schiavone and Kvitova Well done Schiavone for winning her first title defeating the hot favourite stosur in final. Upsetting Wozniacki as well in QF and Dementieva and SF. For Kvitova, at the age of 20, her first SF in Wimbledon, upsetting Wozniacki (2 games :spit:), Azarenka (from 3-5* to 7-5 6-0), Saving 5 MPs against Kanepi 4-6 7-6 8-6. Her fighting spirit and game impressed some people who have not heard of her before.

2010 July - Agnes Szavay 2 consecutive MM titles out of nowhere. People start hopping back to the bandwagon. Too bad we didn't see her a lot afterwards. Worth a mention : Anna Chakvetadze won a MM title out of nowhere as well

2010 August - Caroline Wozniacki First Premium Title and a consecutive sweep of US hardcourt titles. Digging deep in USO.

2010 September - Caroline Wozniacki Wozniacki's bandwagon is going on. Tokyo-Beijing title sweep and a SF showing in USO Semi-Final. Worth a mention : Tamira Paszek won a title in Quebec as a Qualifier.

2010 October - Ana Ivanovic When people questioning why on earth Ivanovic got the WC for Bali, she won a MM title AND Bali to shut haters up. Well deserved and people start feeling she's out of slump. We'll See.

2011 January - Na Li Defeating Clijsters in Sydney final (her first Premier title), and had an amazing run to the final of Australian Open. She made history as the first asian woman to be in GS final. She save a MP against Wozniacki and won in 3 sets. Gave an amazing fight before bowing down to Kim in 3 sets. In terms of quality this match is better than the men's final. Worth mentioning as well - Kvitova.

·
God Gave Us Rock 'N' Roll
47,931 Posts
Re: 2009 Bandwagon Player of the Month (BPM) : MAY - Alexandra Dulgheru

there are lot of Lisicki bandwagoners ;)

·
Premium Member
105,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

When I look back at the first four months, I find it difficult to say who is the BPM of January - Azarenka, the player who won her first title, or Elena Dementieva who won back to back titles?

It is also difficult to say who is the BPM in February as well.

For March - I guess Azarenka is it. Reaching SF of Indian Wells, and Beating Serena Williams in Miami ;)

For April - I Guess Lisicki is it. Winning Charleston, beating Wozniacki, Venus from the middle of nowhere just startled everyone.

·
Registered
20,928 Posts

January = Dokic
February = Mauresmo
March = Azarenka
April = Lisicki

·
Registered
9,093 Posts

I think Dokic could be a "BPM" of January :shrug: A lot of people who didn't follow tennis when she was on top started liking her.

·
Premium Member
105,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I put Dokic on the list.

·
Premium Member
28,048 Posts

April - Lisicki i think:yeah:

·
God Gave Us Rock 'N' Roll
47,931 Posts

March - Azarenka for sure :eek:

·
Registered
20,919 Posts

Wozniacki should also maybe be included in May since she entered the Top 10 and reached the Madrid final or something, nah?

·
Banned
9,786 Posts

Wozniacki should also maybe be included in May since she entered the Top 10 and reached the Madrid final or something, nah?
PMJ failed to win a tournament in May and is not liked here on TF :)

·
Registered
20,928 Posts

Caro recieved even more hate when reaching top 10 and Madrid final. Not exactly bandwagoning :p

·
Registered
4,596 Posts

I'm not sure who February would be, but I definitely agree with the following.......

January - Dokic
March - Azarenka
April - Lisicki
May - Dulgheru

June will be Wozniacki after she wins RG :inlove:
July will be Sharapova after she wins Wimbledon :inlove:

·
Banned
48,006 Posts

Maria should be in February :tape
Without playing she said coming back in Paris bandwagons gets more even she's not playing :haha:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

Great idea stealing this thread. In fact this year the WTA has better -- more obvious -- bandwagon players than the ATP.

I'm on the Dulgheru bandwagon. I bandwagon too much. :lol: I kind of bandwagoned Azarenka in March out of boredom with the WTA.

But with Dulgheru I'm in danger of bandwagoning like I did for Safarova and then Agi Szavay in '07. :sobbing: Ride or die.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts

I'm on the Dulgheru bandwagon :D

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,481 Posts

PMJ failed to win a tournament in May and is not liked here on TF :)
This is true. If there has been any Wozniacki bandwagon it has been what can only be described as an anti-bandwagon. Sad but true. I should add this is not a bandwagon or anti-bandwagon that I have any empathy for at all.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts

this is a bandwagon i'd rather throw myself under than join lmao

1 - 20 of 109 Posts