Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look,most of the times this forum is as slow as it gets,and some of us(well me at least) don't have a fast connection.As if this wasn't there is an annoying trend lately of posting some random gifs that take centuries to load.I wouldn't mind a specific off topic thread,but when some idiot posts them in a game thread and another idiot quotes them or even worse replies with another bigger one,it's freakin impossible to navigate through the pages.It's annoying,it's stupid,it's spamming.and most of the times they aren't even tennis related,just some random trash hollywood movie scenes...do sth about it.....thank u

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
Look,most of the times this forum is as slow as it gets,and some of us(well me at least) don't have a fast connection.As if this wasn't there is an annoying trend lately of posting some random gifs that take centuries to load.I wouldn't mind a specific off topic thread,but when some idiot posts them in a game thread and another idiot quotes them or even worse replies with another bigger one,it's freakin impossible to navigate through the pages.It's annoying,it's stupid,it's spamming.and most of the times they aren't even tennis related,just some random trash hollywood movie scenes...do sth about it.....thank u

·
Registered
25,273 Posts
I think there is an option where you can block all images. If you have a slow connection, then all of the avatars and banners are also slowing down the page uploading, not just the gifs.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Go to your User cp.

Click on Edit Options.

Scroll down and unclick Show Images.

Save.

This will show all pictures as links rather than the full images which should speed up your loading time - or at least it worked for me.

As to whether we should do something about GIFs, let's see how it goes for the time being.

I do agree that some posters spam random threads with completely unrelated images and it can be annoying but that may be a transient thing as it's just the in thing to do on here at the moment and it may pass when they get bored of it. I wouldn't say it's a practice that's out of control at the moment.

GIFs a pretty new thing (on here) and generally popular so it would be a bit harsh to get rid of them altogether. Though, if there is a large volume of complaints I suppose we could look into limiting their use to particular forums in the first instance.

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
Bar 2 or 3 posters who seem to only be able to express themself with gifs (and always the same unrelated ones : the GG's gifs are getting OLD))atm ,I find it rather funny.At least, tennis gifs should be allowed imo.

·
Registered
25,273 Posts
Bar 2 or 3 posters who seem to only be able to express themself with gifs (and always the same unrelated ones : the GG's gifs are getting OLD))atm ,I find it rather funny.At least, tennis gifs should be allowed imo.
I don't know about the others, but my Gossip Girl gifs are always related to my response and allow me to show my emotions in something other than words and smilies.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
they are annoying, and it doesn't say much about the poster if they cant express themselves without using a GIF.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
I do agree with the random unrelated ones from random hollywood movies are annoying though. :eek::eek: Especially when it just turns into a huge conversation of them. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Banned
15,895 Posts
Go to your User cp.

Click on Edit Options.

Scroll down and unclick Show Images.

Save.

This will show all pictures as links rather than the full images which should speed up your loading time - or at least it worked for me.

As to whether we should do something about GIFs, let's see how it goes for the time being.

I do agree that some posters spam random threads with completely unrelated images and it can be annoying but that may be a transient thing as it's just the in thing to do on here at the moment and it may pass when they get bored of it. I wouldn't say it's a practice that's out of control at the moment.

GIFs a pretty new thing (on here) and generally popular so it would be a bit harsh to get rid of them altogether. Though, if there is a large volume of complaints I suppose we could look into limiting their use to particular forums in the first instance.

Is this saying the solution to not seeing gifs is to not see any images at all, including pics? :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts