Tennis Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
31,091 Posts
I mean, people dismiss her because she's an overachiever based on her relative level of talent and the era in which she peaked in, and she's given plenty of reason to be dismissed given how she has been whomped so many times in slams in the last couple of years by not even top players.

It's odd, because it felt like Peer had disappeared from the game earlier than 2013 - not that making a Baku F is an indication of ones career being "alive". She definitely does feel of a different era though, although her gamestyle and subsequent would probably have fared much better today than they did back then. Her bruising baseline grinding would have been perfect for homogeny of surfaces we see today, and had she peaked the same time as Svitolina, perhaps her career stats could have been just as good.
Maybe, but one of Elaine's biggest asset is being strong in the big moments (for example her finals record), which is what impressed me about her in this match. The same can NOT be said about Shahar Peer. Bizarrely Elina totally falls apart at slams while generally being a mental giant in smaller tournaments but I still think she can overcome that problem, she made a lot of progress there in 2019.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Svitolina had a better career in the end.

Both had very quick success in the pros. It's probably very rare for two opponents in a junior Slam final to play a WTA final the next year.
No point comparing them. They are both equally good in their own right.

·
King
28,651 Posts
Maybe, but one of Elaine's biggest asset is being strong in the big moments (for example her finals record), which is what impressed me about her in this match. The same can NOT be said about Shahar Peer. Bizarrely Elina totally falls apart at slams while generally being a mental giant in smaller tournaments but I still think she can overcome that problem, she made a lot of progress there in 2019.
I don’t think Peer was necessarily weak in big moments, but rather she was just outgunned by her peers during her peak which was between 2006-2010, an extremely competitive era for the WTA at the top of the game. If we swapped Svitolina in her place for the same period I don’t think she’d be having particularly better results or impact on the game.

And don’t get me wrong - I was not a fan of Peer at all back in the day - but I feel like these two actually have relatively similar peak levels comparatively (not saying they play the exact same, but more of a reference to their ceiling), and it’s telling in terms of the regression of the tour how big of a difference there is in their achievements. Granted Peer also did burn out quicker than expected, and probably could have played for a couple more seasons.

·
Registered
31,091 Posts
Idk Peer never even made a final higher than MM level and if I'm not mistaken she came within a match of the top ten at least once and totally choked. And I will always remember her major choke against Serena Williams at the Australian Open 2007 (even though I was a major Williams fan then so electrified when she managed to win that one).

·
King
28,651 Posts
Idk Peer never even made a final higher than MM level and if I'm not mistaken she came within a match of the top ten at least once and totally choked.
Back when most Premier titles were hotly contested.

If Svitolina played in the era 10 years prior she wouldn’t have made the top 10, just like Peer, and she wouldn’t have gotten close to winning as many big titles as she has. Even in 2012/3 she would have been getting owned by the elite, and I doubt she would have made the YEC in those years. People dismiss her for all of these reasons, and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It's funny to look at that draw and see who else was there:

• Donna Vekic was the barely-17 year old #2 seed (I know Vekic has been around a while, but it's still surprising to see her as a #2 seed 7 years ago)
  • Ons Jabeur was an 18 year old wild card who upset the 21 year old #1 seed Bojana Jovanovski (wow, what happened to her?)
  • The Pliskova's were there, Karolina as the #5 seed losing in the first round to a player I've literally never heard of (Tadeja Majeric of Slovenia, anyone), Kristyna demolishing #8 seed Vesna Dolonc (that's a name I've not seen since 2013 for sure)
  • Mandy Minella double bageled a local wildcard, wonder if that's the lone double-bagel she's doled out at the WTA main draw level?
  • Eleni Daniilidou lost in the first round, had already left the top 100 for the last time.
Love looking at old draws, lots of names and results from vague old memories.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

• Donna Vekic was the barely-17 year old #2 seed (I know Vekic has been around a while, but it's still surprising to see her as a #2 seed 7 years ago)
  • Ons Jabeur was an 18 year old wild card who upset the 21 year old #1 seed Bojana Jovanovski (wow, what happened to her?)
  • The Pliskova's were there, Karolina as the #5 seed losing in the first round to a player I've literally never heard of (Tadeja Majeric of Slovenia, anyone), Kristyna demolishing #8 seed Vesna Dolonc (that's a name I've not seen since 2013 for sure)
  • Mandy Minella double bageled a local wildcard, wonder if that's the lone double-bagel she's doled out at the WTA main draw level?
  • Eleni Daniilidou lost in the first round, had already left the top 100 for the last time.
I know right. It seems like she pulled off a Kirilenko/Jankovic.

·
Banned
21,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

Bojana is married with a child.

Majeric was more known for her social media.

·
Registered
31,091 Posts

If Svitolina played in the era 10 years prior she wouldn’t have made the top 10, just like Peer, and she wouldn’t have gotten close to winning as many big titles as she has. Even in 2012/3 she would have been getting owned by the elite, and I doubt she would have made the YEC in those years. People dismiss her for all of these reasons, and will continue to do so.
Well okay but here she is with too many top ten wins to count (including over the GOAT at the Olympics), YEC title, a handful of P5s and a great record in other finals, multiple slam semifinals, top ten for years. Count her off all you want, not not much evidence that Shahar Peer would have and could have done the same… 2008-2010 wasn't exactly the WTA's peak either (moms could actually win slams and become number one back then 😇).

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

She has beaten every big name there is out there. Your hatred is senseless and your pretence at reasoning seems hilarious at best.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Bojana is married with a child.
Surely that's a recent development, though, it's not like she got married/pregnant and stopped playing in 2014 when she hit her career high.

I'm actually curious if I ever heard any hype about Jovanovski about her game (other than @Cp6uja back in the day, who was anything but objective about Serbian players....) or whether it was all about her grunting.

·
Premium Member
28,047 Posts
Majeric was more known for her social media.
And her looks and "fashion".
Wasn't there a photo of her being on court with an awfuly long heels?

She was basically the very poor (wo)man's Mattek-Sands.

I admit I had a crush on her.

·
Registered
30,527 Posts
And her looks and "fashion".
Wasn't there a photo of her being on court with an awfuly long heels?

She was basically the very poor (wo)man's Mattek-Sands.

I admit I had a crush on her.
She was a committed moonballer though.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts