Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the new rankings come out on Monday, Dani will be ranked at 14th!!! She's been in the top 10 for such a long time, it's weird to see her out of it but it was bound to happen with her lack of form this year. Take a rest girl and come out fighting next year :bounce:

P.S : It's also kind odf weird to think that last year she reached the quarters by beating at the U.S Open this year's winner.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Well, this has been expected for a while and I can't complain with the rankings. You beat Henin, you deserve your top ten ranking, you lose to TT and Asagoe and various others early on then you have to accept you will slip.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Some positive thinking ---> ranked 14th means still only 13 better players on planet. :cool: And that's when Daniela's having a bad year... :devil:

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
im sure she'll be back in the top 10 as soon as she gets things sorted out.

...and like i said before, her ranking should be last thing on her mind right now.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
14th??!?!??! :eek: :eek: :eek:

holy crap!

im REALLI surprised.. but then again what was i expecting? for her to be ranked #1? :retard:

it's not a real shocker considering the results Daniela had this year. one will hafta wonder what Daniela is thinking when she sees herself ranked as the #14 seed in the world... dont think she would take it too well... :unsure:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Ranking aside, the real difficulty is that she's in the middle of a pack of 18-21 year olds: Henin, Clijsters, Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Petrova, etc. While DH was a late bloomer tennis-wise, she's still trapped in this group. Capriati, Davenport, Rubin, Seles, et al may be moving aside, but she's still going to have her own age group to compete with. She needs to establish her place within this age group as much as she needs to regain a Top Ten ranking, if not more.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I mean, she knew she was going to slip. But take a look at her last interview. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Im more dismayed by Juan Carlos losing to Roddick.

Anyway, this was expected by all of us so I wont call it 'news' per se. Its a wake up call for Daniela.

·
Registered
679 Posts
rankings do not matter. Only that she sorts our her problems. Then, and only then will I start to worry about her ranking.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Two of my favorites are now in the top 10....While Daniela's slipping :sad: But my guess is that next year she will figure things out and do much better at the tourneys! :bounce:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I think everyone in the CP was expecting this, though it still may come as a shock since there is a certain amount of denial in our hearts.

The slip may work in two different ways. And I hope this lifts the weights off her shoulders, like everyone else in here. But with all the problems she is facing, both on and off court, it still may take time for her to be fully focused and confident.

Go Daniela! You have NO.1 written all over you! :worship:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Following the news that Daniela is likely to be ranked at #14 now, one thing has been overlooked in the most recent round of discussions, and although it may be easier said than done, there is something we can do to help. Aside from telling her what her training schedule should or should not involve, or how her serve or ground strokes could be improved, or how her movement should be better, none of these things can be influenced by any of us.

Though this drop in the rankings comes as no surprise to us, and hopefully not to Daniela either, it will have been a shock to her confidence and morale. And this is where we come in. Between now and the new year is when Daniela needs us, her supporters, more than ever. She has had a poor year, of that there is no doubt, and it is up to us now to show her how much she means to us and that we will support her in bad times as well as good. There are four more events this year, at Leipzig, Filderstadt, Zurich and Linz, so for the Europeans amongst us, (or the rich Asians, Americans and Canadians!), here are four great opportunities to go and give her some tangible support to help her through these tough times and hopefully boost her confidence and help her back on the road to the top ten where she belongs.

She needs to know she has supporters out there who are prepared to actually support her rather than bounce around a lot, and I know this is not going to be easy for many of you, but one voice in a crowd shouting "Come on Dani" is better than none. Just think how much of a tonic that would be for her to know that we are doing our best to support her while she is doing her best on court for us. This time, more than ever, is when we should try to repay back some of great feelings she has given us over the past couple of years by trying to make her feel great again and return to the ‘real’ Daniela we all know and love so much.

So we will send her cards with warm words of support for her, and maybe even a present or two, but nothing will mean more to her than to have fans supporting her on court. This has been a wake up call for Daniela and her drop in the rankings should be enough motivation to see her even more determined than ever to get back where she belongs. But it is also a wake up call for everyone else not to become complacent and hope that everything will sort itself out and all will end happily, because it won’t unless we play our part too in making our #1 *THE* #1.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I completely agree Graham!:wavey:

But can I just cheer in front of my computer? I'm really busy these days.:sad: Besides, I'm not rich!

It is the thought that counts!:angel:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
paycheck said:
I completely agree Graham!:wavey:

But can I just cheer in front of my computer? I'm really busy these days.:sad: Besides, I'm not rich!

It is the thought that counts!:angel:
Of course you can! And I expect that will be the case for many of you, but if anyone could make it to any of Dani's forthcoming matches, think how much that would mean to her. :D :bounce:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Superb comments, Graham :yeah:

There is nothing stopping me from believing that it is us who keep her going. At the moment, we are the most important thing in her life as for getting her spirits up. Empty courts when she plays will not help her, her fans around the world need to get their rears on seats and become vociferous.

I think the CP is Dani's biggest fan-base and our words of encouragement on here may not fall on deaf ears as we have suspected ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
kysersoze said:
rankings do not matter. Only that she sorts our her problems. Then, and only then will I start to worry about her ranking.
Actually, rankings do matter. They are a testament to how well you're playing. They determine where you are going to be in a draw, and who you will face in the match. They are a benchmark for your capabilities.

Not from the standpoint of bonus money, media coverage, and better parking spots, (and yes, the last one IS true!) rankings are indicative of where a player's game is at the moment.

..Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts