Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Registered
If Halep is able to bring this form from today into Wimbledon, she will be a strong candidate. But of course she won't. Her serve and ground game can fall apart at any match. Hopefully the Gods of Tennis draws won't put her at the same section with Iga again馃檮

Registered
Total domination by the gritty Romanian champ. Simona looking rather "fit and fine"....it has to be said. Winners/UE.....31- 13 for Halep, 19-31 for "mental midget" AA. You see the difference in these two ladies, Halep never gives up....Anisimova always gives up (if she gets behind.)....marks of a champion and a non champion, respectively.

Registered
Even with the loss, Amanda has been super consistent this season. This was her 4th QF in a row at the WTA level, with the only other event in that span being a R4 of Roland Garros.

Overall it鈥檚 her 5th QF or better result on the season, plus a pair of R4鈥檚 at each Slam. She鈥檚 also only failed to get past R2 at just 3 events so far this year. Good stuff for such a streaky player.

Registered
Even with the loss, Amanda has been super consistent this season. This was her 4th QF in a row at the WTA level, with the only other event in that span being a R4 of Roland Garros.

Overall it鈥檚 her 5th QF or better result on the season, plus a pair of R4鈥檚 at each Slam. She鈥檚 also only failed to get past R2 at just 3 events so far this year. Good stuff for such a streaky player.
I will give AA kudos for playing well since IW.....she has earned it. But she always seem to fold like a cheap tent when coming up against a truly determined player who she knows will not give up. Looked to me like AA was beaten before the match even began....just saying.

Reactions: Perun and iGOAT

Registered
View attachment 220575
fake stats back at it again, 31 winners halep + 31 unforced errors by AA = 62 but somehow Simona only won 56 total points not counting any forced errors...
lol, that's why I always have reserves about the post-matches stats, especially in the small events.

But the aces were there, I counted :p

Anisimova was slow and currently has big issues on the BH side. On top of that, she suggested she just got some issues with her right wrist. she asked for an MTO and then stud on-court, occasionally hitting some heavy FHs which eliminates any worries about her presence next week in The Championships.

Simona had a nice serve-practice evening and, if she will be able to keep this level and percentages of serving during the next fortnight, she may be a contender in Wimbly :thumbsup:

Bianca next, I hope they will not kill each other in an exhausting battle... It's not the right time for that.

Registered
On the contrary, IMHO the QF will be a straight-sets story for either of them.
Depends on what kind of Amanda will show there. If Simo will smell a strong opposition she will most likely tank. If I were in her shoes I'd play there as in an exhibition match (all or nothing) and practice all kinds of shots.
For once I guessed right about the match :LOL:

Registered
If Halep is able to bring this form from today into Wimbledon, she will be a strong candidate. But of course she won't. Her serve and ground game can fall apart at any match. Hopefully the Gods of Tennis draws won't put her at the same section with Iga again馃檮
Well, 'falling apart' or not, Simona still has the 2nd best record
this year, with a title and 3-4 SEMIS and since she barely lost
to Iga at IW, after reinjuring herself the week before in Dubai ,
I hope she gets that boring, predictable robot,Iga, again!! If Simona
is 100%, Iga will find out why Simona was 3-1 against Barty, while
she, Iga, was 0-3!!!!

Registered
Well, 'falling apart' or not, Simona still has the 2nd best record
this year, with a title and 3-4 SEMIS and since she barely lost
to Iga at IW, after reinjuring herself the week before in Dubai ,
I hope she gets that boring, predictable robot,Iga, again!! If Simona
is 100%, Iga will find out why Simona was 3-1 against Barty, while
she, Iga, was 0-3!!!!
Dude....Simona is gonna withdraw from her match with Bianca....needs to save her strength for wimbledon. :whistle:

Registered
Delicious result indeed.

You only need one strategy to beat AA = move, move, and make her move, then deploy only one ability on court = to return and redirect her flat grounstrokes. Great fighters, great counter-punchers bringing their A game will always beat one-dimensional BBs like AA, since she has no plan B and relies only on her power when she's ahead. When she lags behind, she breaks mentally - or just not willing to fight at the same level of her rival. This is when AA fails. Halep proved that today with her serves and movement; LAF at RG with her movement variety, IQ, and precise returns. That's why some shorties perform well against tall BBBs applying low effects.

Not all players can fight that way against AA though, as they'll fail against such a missile barrage ( Ann Li coundn't counter-punch ), so even if i don't like AA either, like some posters above, i must admit here i'm not surprised about her decent season so far. You must have big varied weapons to counter her, an acquired taste not given to several, but the strat prep before facing her ? The easiest to plan on Tour, 2 minutes with your coach and you're done.

Registered
don't winners include aces?
Yes but unforced errors on the opponent鈥檚 part are points for you. So 31 winners and aces plus 31 errors equals at least 62 points. There鈥檚 a bunch more that are neither winners nor UEs that would be points. So how is the total point count 56?

ETA: Tennis Tonic has more detailed stats, they claim Simona had 56 total points and 24 winners. They don't track UEs though.

Registered
So who is defining what a winner or an unforced error is for that data?
It is voluntarily done by someone who evaluates the match point by point. At the end of the day, whether an error is a forced error or unforced error is subjective. This is not done by WTA. This site is like the only site where you can find play by play data and more detailed stats publicly available. Usually, someone picks up a match they are interested in and does a play by play evaluation in a standard format (like how many shots did the rally have, whether the point ended as a winner or forced error or unforced error, in which direction did the serve land - wide or T or body etc etc) and then update the data. Not every match has this detailed charting but in general, you will tend to find this data available for decent number of top players matches.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts